News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: The Junkyard: Gitz it Done Event  (Read 36016 times)

Offline Ginger farseer

• Ork Yoof
  • Armies: Space wolves, Eldar, Orks
Re: The Junkyard: Gitz it Done Event
« Reply #40 on: June 5, 2012, 11:15:27 AM »

Ginger farseer that KFF is great!  My only suggestion would be maybe adding a bit of wiring to a control console for his hand

Thanks, that was on my mind, but I think it would need to join it from above, somewhere near the top, and the trouble would be making it look natural as it fell down. I will work on it though.

Also, those walkers look awesome!

Zognutz, that looks epic, very impressed with you trying to scratch build such an ambious project.

typhon, that meganob looks great!

AoD, they look epic, but I'm not sure you have gone about it the right way, it looks organised   ;)
Be nice to nerds, you'll probably be working for them.

What if by 'fly you fools'  Gandalf was actually telling the fellowship to call the eagles and fly to Mordor?

"Thunder rolled... It rolled a six"

+++Melon melon melon+++
+++out of cheese error redo from start+++
+++Divide by cucumber error. Please reinstall universe and reboot+++

Offline Log

• Burna Boy
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #41 on: June 5, 2012, 02:04:00 PM »

I made a start trying to get through my 2mm plasticard to make shields for my 'ard boyz.15 shapes are cut out, and I have started cutting 'windows'. I have also now stopped cutting them for now because I slipped and buried the knife in my finger.. now wearing a very red Mr men plaster and watching tv instead lol

Offline angel of death 007

• Dreadbash Warboss | KoN Veteran
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #42 on: June 5, 2012, 02:15:06 PM »
AoD...  Your trukk is awesome so far...  it's like you...  Have a plan or something! lol  I think some gnarly exhaust out the sides of the engine would look awesome with a roadster sort of look...

Well exhaust will be kinda small on this one but I have dry fitted the reinforced bumper and it looks awesome.  Wish I could bring the hood down a little bit but I would have to heavily modify the grill to do it which I don't want to do.   I am probably going to use the Ford's exhaust for this one.  I need as much GW bitz as i can get for the ford truck.

typhon, that meganob looks great!

AoD, they look epic, but I'm not sure you have gone about it the right way, it looks organised   ;)

Going to 2nd that, typhon, it does look awesome.  Very orky and detailed.

Well I will say when you try to kit bash two models (which are close to the same size but not exact) you encouter several problems.   Different scale sizes are always a problem when it comes to konversions.   Since this isn't my first time doing it, I did have a plan in my head for awhile now just to work thru the problems.

The ork trukk is the easier one of the two as the ford truck is going to require plasticard which will be a pain since I never really worked with plasticard.  I am still dreading that.   We shall see.

*UPDATE*

Well the ork trukk is nearing it's completition.   I like how it turned out overall, just wish i could have got the hood a little lower without having to do some massive chopping.   Oh well still looks orky, just needs a little bit more work.

assembling / enclosing the cab

The ork trukk coming together...

I prep'd the wheels but due to having to prime it, those and the exhaust won't go on due to them having the chrome plating on them.  After it is primed the wheels will make it on.

Started to assemble the chassis on the Ford truck.  By the looks of it, I am going to need a lot of work to make it orky, sigh.
« Last Edit: June 5, 2012, 03:27:51 PM by angel of death 007 »

Offline Log

• Burna Boy
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #43 on: June 5, 2012, 05:19:52 PM »
Wow the trukks are coming along nicely!

I've finally got the shields finished. The rest will have to wait 2 weeks until after my holiday, but I'm pleased with the start. Couldn't resist making a zoro scratch half way through :)

Offline OD from TV

• Ork Warlord | Title of Doom status: pending | KoN Veteran
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • OD's Project Blog
« Reply #44 on: June 6, 2012, 05:46:46 AM »
AoD for someone who "never really worked with plasticard" I think you are getting the gist.  And who knows, the forum may yet make you a Speed Freak after all.  And as for the card work, it admittedly can be tedious, but practice does make perfect.  If you decide to try to do some glyph work though I highly recommend not applying them directly to your build but trying on a scratch piece of card that could then potentially be added to it.  Then again, I think you're probably smart enough to apply glyphs via decals and paint rather than in plastic form.

Log those combat shields are bang on!  Great use of battle damage as well.  When painting be sure to get at least one pass with drybrushing to really make those details pop.

As for myself, I have a bit of a big update.
8.5 hours into project

Today was... well productive I suppose.  After getting emailed my performance evaluation I needed something to get my mind off the real life problems.  I started off with what I'm nicknaming the Serpent Dread, first by distressing the Leman Russ turret that will form it's backpack and attaching it to the Serpent Dread (as well as adding more battle damage to the body) and attaching a top access plate.

It's amazing how quickly battle damage can be done with the rotary tool.  I don't think I'll use it too much more though, the effect it produces isn't quite the same as the kind I can achieve with a knife.

But I wasn't content enough with this minor work, and didn't feel like complete scratchbuilding, so I decided to bulk out the Tyrant after all, starting with his shoulder

than adding onto his back a base reactor

Than I built up the other shoulder and added on a Bonesword as a DCCW (it needs some Cyborking though)

(I know it doesn't come out well, but its a series of vents made from the card, I tried multiple times to get a good photo, but this is the best I got, it looks much better in person)

I'd have built more if I hadn't run out of stamina.  A good project like this is exactly what I need when the real life gets a bit less than perfect. 

Peace
~OD
« Last Edit: June 6, 2012, 05:56:19 AM by OD from TV »
Truly beautiful work. That's the kind of stuff that makes a true mekanik cry tears of joy.
OD, you once again prove that your are still the freakin Da Vinci of plasticard

Offline Log

• Burna Boy
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #45 on: June 6, 2012, 11:20:22 AM »
OD I have never seen an organic dread like yours, I can't wait to see what they look like when they're finished. They're coming along really nicely. As for the picture of the vents, cameras often have trouble focusing that close when the background is so far away. You would get a better focus by laying the model down so that the table/floor acts as a background and is only an inch or so away from where you want the focus.

Thanks for the comments on my shields. I'm looking forward to my holiday next week but finishing the conversions and painting them all up gives me something to look forward to when I get home too. Juat need to figure our a colour scheme now...

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #46 on: June 6, 2012, 07:37:24 PM »
@ OD,  looking good.   Always liked the flesh and organic look.   That was what made me do the Daemon prince Dread.   I will say I always wanted kind of a mad max, post apocalyptic feel to my ork army.   You never know you might see a few more vehicles come off the assembly line, down the road.

@log.   those look sweet.  I wanted to do a similiar thing with my ard boyz but never thought to make my own shields.   I was looking for IG track guards, but they were too high in demand.  So I just konverted my boyz from black orks.   Loved all the armor.

*UPDATE*

So yesterday, I took on building the ford truck.   I had several ideas I put into motion.  I liked using the boarding planks for truck doors using the hinge as the door hinge.  Made it look functional.

I did run in to a bit of a speed bump with the bed.   I had to cut it a bit and change the mount for the bed sides so i could reverse it and put the roll bar where it should be.    But to keep the size it meant I had to build up a little bit of platform for the bed.   I also drilled the hands and cut the steering wheel so I could have the ork driver, taking the wheel.

Building up the platform to mount the bed.   Had to make it somewhat stabile.

The front wheel mount was that dang chrome coated plastic, while it looks cool, it absolutely SUCKS for mounting wheels on (which is why the wheels are only mounted on one side at this point, i had to let it sit overnight)  Made sure to shave all that off for the other side front wheel.   

The ford truck is coming together well.   I still got some work to do (adding the other header after modifying it) along with working in a bit of gyph plates and plasticard plates.    Not too much though as I am not good at working with them and the fenders are very very rounded.

And the side with the ork trukk wheels.    Here is where I am, actually I glued the other side wheels on tonight but I gotta wait for the glue to dry on the front wheels.    And if you are wondering why the engine looks incomplete?  that is because it is.   This kit comes with a lot of chromed plastic, which is too good just to spray paint over when i prime it.   They will get added in after I prime the model.   Even an ork can appreciate some chrome.

« Last Edit: June 6, 2012, 09:06:08 PM by angel of death 007 »

Offline adamscurr

• Mega Armored Biker Boss
  • Armies: Evil Sunz, Crimson Fists
« Reply #47 on: June 6, 2012, 10:05:02 PM »
AoD...  That is one smooth looking trukk...  I think you should paint it bad moon yellow...  For two reasons...  First, the model is already yellow and I'm really liking the look of the flaired fenders...  That would draw attention to them, which is a good thing...  Second, only a bad moon ork would take the time to weld on such good looking fenders...

Adam

Cause We's Da Orks, and You's Not!!!

Offline Ork E Nuff

• Ork Boy
  • 'ere WE go, 'ere WE go, 'ere WE go!!!!!
  • Armies: Orks, SM (occassionally)
« Reply #48 on: June 7, 2012, 05:25:56 PM »
Have you ever had that kind of day when you shouldn't even touch a computer?  Just deleted, by accident, 20 minutes of updating and picture posting....*sigh*....

OK, once again:
Here's my schedule for completing the afforementioned pledges by end of month:
June 1-16:  Build/convert models
June 17-30: Paint and post
June 1-30:  Bask in my creative juices...

Anyway:
Tankbustas:  Attached rokkit launchas and optics to orks, 2 have blastsheilds:

Rokkit hammer:  Still need to attach explosives around the rocket body housing:

Will be ready to start painting asap...

Kanz:  completed #1.

Major components assembled for #2:

Starting #3 Friday or Saturday...

Warboss:  major components: 

body from ABR warboss, trimmed shoota stock, head swap, new head:  Ork General from Micro Arts Studio, iron gob: left over from old MANz.  Needs green stuff work.  Will be completed by June 16th.

Blood n Guts is nuffin more dan bio-d-gradible axle grease.....Remember, that which does not kill you, will only try harder the next time...I've named me attack squig "Skippy"....is that wrong?

Offline OD from TV

• Ork Warlord | Title of Doom status: pending | KoN Veteran
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • OD's Project Blog
« Reply #49 on: June 7, 2012, 05:52:06 PM »
Have you ever had that kind of day when you shouldn't even touch a computer?  Just deleted, by accident, 20 minutes of updating and picture posting....*sigh*....
Actually I know exactly what you mean Ork E Nuff.  about a half hour ago while writing this (about the time you uploaded your post actually) I tried to erase a typo and the backspace button instead took me to the previous page.  On the bright side once you've written something once its generally faster to write it a second time.  Great work by the way, I'm a big fan of that glyph blast plate.

AoD...  That is one smooth looking trukk...  I think you should paint it bad moon yellow...  For two reasons...  First, the model is already yellow and I'm really liking the look of the flaired fenders...  That would draw attention to them, which is a good thing...  Second, only a bad moon ork would take the time to weld on such good looking fenders...
While I agree that Bad Moons would definitely weld on flared fenders (so would Evil Suns), I'm not sure Bad Moon yellow would be the best choice.  With the sleek curves and classic 50's look it would be a shame to cut it up with battle damage, but it would look amazing with a shiny black and chrome look.  But that's just my input, it's your mini AoD, but I gotta say that if I ever see that hot rod model in a shop, I'm totally going to buy it and try to duplicate your project, it's so nice I want one for myself.

OD I have never seen an organic dread like yours, I can't wait to see what they look like when they're finished. They're coming along really nicely.
Thanks log, right now I think the Tyrant Dread is the best work I've done so far.  Today, or rather when you read this post you'll see it around 90-95% complete.  Oh and thanks for the help with the photo taking too!

Update...
14 hours into project

Yesterday and last night's insomnia brought quite a lot of work to the Tyrant Dread, at the moment I'm estimating 90-95% completion.  But that is getting ahead of myself.

Yesterday a friend planted the idea of making this model work for a future Tyranid army, so I wanted to make a makeshift Lash Whip.

Twisting guitar wire, some tubing, and a Crushing Claw.  I'm looking forward to painting this bit!

For the other weapons I was contemplating adding two cyborked scythe talons, but then got the idea for this

A modified Venom Cannon for extra smashy smashy.  I'm thinking that I need to add some Worky Bits to the end, maybe an engine block.

But then what to do for another weapon?  Well I wanted to keep the DCCWs mostly on one side due to not wanting to screw around with the Lash Whip replica,  and I had already thought about a tail weapon so I went out for it

I then spent some time with finishing details such as battle damage, exhausts and various other details.  I should consider this model done at this point, at the same time I feel like I can push this Konversion further, but I know to finish this challenge I have 4 more to go most of which at this moment are just raw materials right now.

Peace
~OD

EDIT: Whoops didn't realize I posted the same photo twice, sorry guys!
« Last Edit: June 10, 2012, 06:13:58 AM by OD from TV »
Truly beautiful work. That's the kind of stuff that makes a true mekanik cry tears of joy.
OD, you once again prove that your are still the freakin Da Vinci of plasticard

Offline typhon

• Wych | Free Boota Ork
  • warboss of the SUN and DA MOON orks
« Reply #50 on: June 8, 2012, 10:09:55 AM »
Lets see here alot of great work getting done in here. 

AOD I was really wondering about the smooth body ork trukk conversion but it is looking good.  Now all you need is lord humongous driving it. Then you would be set.  OF course I have been debating a lord humongous conversion for awhile.  But that is an off note.  The trukk is looking good.

OD the tyrant dread is looking sweet great mega battle damage.  Plus I would love to see you do the trukk I want to see you make something with a smooth edge on it.  And resist the urge to battle damage it.

OK short post so comment to all will have to wait,  I will just say great work to you all they are very great.

As for me insomnia might be my best friend too especially with my work schedule.   my manzs are about ready for the rivets which is going to take sometime. 

Offline CheesyRobMan

• Burna Mek
« Reply #51 on: June 8, 2012, 12:26:48 PM »
Stompa update: CC arm is ready for black wash, as is the gantry at the back:

However my supply of Badab Black appears to be running low  :(
"Where's the kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth-shattering kaboom!" - Marvin the Martian

Offline Boss Ard'Ragger

• Ork Yoof
  • Da Boyz Rock!!!
  • Armies: The Boyz, IG, Eldar,DE, Tau, GK, some SM
« Reply #52 on: June 8, 2012, 12:42:13 PM »
Your Stompa is looking really orky Cheesy, awesome job, looking forward to seeing the whole thing completed  8)
You Boyz wanna live forever?!  Waaaaagh!

Offline Zognutz

• Ork Boy
  • To er is 'umie, to WaaaaaaagH! is divine.
« Reply #53 on: June 8, 2012, 04:10:50 PM »
The tyrant dread is looking sweet. Worth losing sleep over for sure ;P

Got a new supply of 80/1000 plasticard, so I've knocked the chassis and engine housing up for my chinork. I used the trukk bitz to get an equal angles on the wings and started wanging on spare gubinz.. that's all for tonight. Off to watch a film.

Blood Axe Orks W/D/L - 12/3/1

Offline typhon

• Wych | Free Boota Ork
« Reply #54 on: June 8, 2012, 09:51:07 PM »
Ok liquid greenstuff has anyone used it yet I need to fill in some bigger than normal cracks and just wondering if any one has used it..   Do I just paint it on or what any help would be great

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #55 on: June 8, 2012, 10:10:57 PM »
Ok liquid greenstuff has anyone used it yet I need to fill in some bigger than normal cracks and just wondering if any one has used it..   Do I just paint it on or what any help would be great

I used it for some larger gaps before.  I wouldn't recommend it for too large of holes though.   For a small gap (filling the angle of an arm I had to angle on a marauder) so think of an arm bearly mounted by only part of it.   I had to put on 3 different coats and wait for them to dry.   

Brushing might work, but due to the thickness, I used a sharp modeling night.    A lot easier to work with for small gaps but really large gaps I still think regular green stuff works best.   

Basically I used my modeling knife like a cement trowl.  Slap the stuff where you need it then level it off.   Again not that great for really big gaps.   But so much easier for the little ones, as you don't have to mead it, and then waste it because you always mead too much.

@Zognutz,  Like the layout of that choppa.   And judging from your prior plasticard work, I think it will be very impressive.

@CheesyRobMan,  Looks so clean.   You paint really well and I love the colors in your models.   Can't wait to see the finished Stompa.

@OD.  I will give you some mega props, I hate working on metal models as even glueing them is a real pain.   Your konversion work is coming along very good.   

On my project, I didn't do much.  I did some custom plates and rivits for the Ork Trukk cab top.  Which came out good.  I dry fitted the ford wheels to the Ork Trukk and they look good.   Can't glue them til I prime the model though.

Speaking of priming...  I wish I could get a day where the humidity was actually decent enough to spray paint.   It is getting annoying to say the least this past week.  UGH.
« Last Edit: June 8, 2012, 10:17:47 PM by angel of death 007 »

Offline Zognutz

• Ork Boy
« Reply #56 on: June 9, 2012, 01:41:50 PM »
I hope so AOD... but I'm starting to think I bit off more than I could chomp! :/ although I am detailing now instead of structuring so might speed up a bit.

she's got some big bomms and rattler cannons now, good an' shooty :D That 4-15 twin-linked small arms fire a turn plus 2 bomms [probably won't use the bomms often though].

Offline typhon

• Wych | Free Boota Ork
« Reply #57 on: June 9, 2012, 05:08:18 PM »
Zog I just got to say you sir have some mad skills.  that  thing looks sweet very nice work indeed.  Just one question are you going to put the chain on inbetween the two blades??

Offline Zognutz

• Ork Boy
« Reply #58 on: June 9, 2012, 05:35:38 PM »
I'm avoiding the fact is what I'm doing ;) I'm going to link them with a drive shaft instead. More reliable but incurs more cost if unserviceable :P

Saying that, I may attempt a drive belt aswell.

Offline adamscurr

• Mega Armored Biker Boss
  • Armies: Evil Sunz, Crimson Fists
« Reply #59 on: June 9, 2012, 09:03:42 PM »
Hey Zog...  What do you use to make your small rivets?

Adam

Cause We's Da Orks, and You's Not!!!