News:

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Ork 1k Biker list  (Read 1430 times)

Offline Chuckatrix

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Ork 1k Biker list
« on: September 5, 2012, 08:19:25 AM »
I'm wanna remove myself from this board.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 03:13:35 PM by Chuckatrix »

Offline Ork E Nuff

• Ork Boy
  • 'ere WE go, 'ere WE go, 'ere WE go!!!!!
  • Armies: Orks, SM (occassionally)
Re: Ork 1k Biker list
« Reply #1 on: September 5, 2012, 09:22:07 AM »
Howdy!  Welcome to the Waaaaagggghhh!

Personally, I would build the burnas and with your BM w/KFF put them in your looted wagon for now.  Build your kanz, making sure you arm them with at least a skorcha and a grotzooka; your remaining kan can field either the rokkit launcha or big shoota.  Finish your unbuilt bikers, ensuring that your have a nob with them.  Build your boxed nobz, you will want to get a battlewagon for them asap.  I built one out of the shell of a broken land raider a friend of mine was considering tossing.  I think the idea is to have as much mounted and ready to roll as you can. 

Or, convert your nobz into flash gitz and add the finecast painboy as an upgrade.  They might be the static element of your army.  Your tankbustas don't quite fit, but you may need them for flexibility in future missions.

You'll need some boyz to fill out your troop choices.  Get a couple of trucks and add 12 boyz each, the choice of the month is leaning towards shootas w/a nob w/big shoota or pk and bosspole.  If you build the boxed nobz, you've got one troop choice already.  The Big Mek lets you field the dread as a troop choice as well, something I do all the time...But you do need boyz to grab objectives, lay down fire, etc...

Hope this helps.  My two teef on the matter.

I'm sure one of the bosses will get around to invitin' you to join and give you the link and instructions.

Again, Welcome!
Blood n Guts is nuffin more dan bio-d-gradible axle grease.....Remember, that which does not kill you, will only try harder the next time...I've named me attack squig "Skippy"....is that wrong?

Offline OD from TV

• Ork Warlord | Title of Doom status: pending | KoN Veteran
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • OD's Project Blog
« Reply #2 on: September 5, 2012, 10:24:42 AM »
I'm sure one of the bosses will get around to invitin' you to join and give you the link and instructions.
For once since the creation of the WotW, I will beat Skeetergod in sending out the proclaimed "invite".  The link to the WotW (Way of the Waaaagh) is here, basically it further establishes a community of the regular posters in the Ork Forum, and we are often creating and putting forth contests, competitions and special missions. (currently there is the looting the new box set and Looted September events beginning)

But onto more pressing matters, the creation of your Waaagh!

Since you mentioned that this idea formed out of an ally for your Necrons my first suggestion is to start small-ish and work with that idea until you have a good handle on the Orks.  In my opinion that will happen after a couple games, Orks are rather no-nonsense mixed with eclectic randomness, simply put they're fun.  And you are interested in a Biker list which instantly gets my attention.

As such under the current rulebook Bikers are only scoring if you take Wazzdakka, which in his own right is a great Ork Biker Boss and isn't too point heavy.  One thing I will advice off the bat though is that like all things in the Ork codex quantity is key.  A unit of 4 Bikes (either regular or Nobz) won't last too long on the field and will have to Ld check after a single casualty.  Now if you take Wazz a single unit of 3-4 is viable as a late game objective grabber unit, but even then more often than not your better off with larger squads.  If I'm reading it correctly (hard to do at such an early morning without coffee) you have 6 regular bikes and 4-5 Nob bikes.  As such at this juncture I would advice your next purchase to be the Ork Battleforce which would give you a couple more bikes, a good chunk of more boyz and a Trukk.

With that in hand you'd be able to take a unit of 10 Warbikes (one being a Nob of course) to which I'd advice adding the Warboss (or Wazz) to.  Nob Bikers with or without an HQ attached are always bulletmagnets (not a bad thing mind you), but adding an HQ to 10 Bikes makes them extra Ard as well as making the unit a higher priority to your enemy.  One of the goals in an Ork army is target saturation, or in other words give your opponent a hard time to decide which unit to attempt to take out.  Such a strategy leads to one of two things, either your opponent focuses on one or two large threats leaving the rest of your forces relatively intact or they attempt to split fire too much leaving multiple units damaged but not destroyed.

I do dig the Looted Wagon, although without a sense of scale it is hard to quantify this next point.  It looks extremely similar to a German Half track model I've seen often converted into Ork Trukks, which in many players opinions is a superior model to have on the table than a Looted Wagon.  Now personally I rarely use Looted Wagons, but the times that I have they've been a bit lackluster in performance except when equipped with the expensive Boomgun (and even then not as stellar as anticipated).  If it is the same or almost same size as a Trukk, it might be more beneficial to count it as a Trukk.  But I do want to let you know that my experience (or anyone else's for that matter) is not the word of god and that you may have better luck than others with specific units (for example prior to 6th Edition I believe Skeetergod and myself were the only ones on the forum to praise Flash Gitz).

The last thing I have to say at the moment is on the Kans and Dread.  Based off the Looted Wagon model you posted a picture of Kustomization and scratchbuilding are not completely foreign to you, which believe me is a good thing.  Now the Kan box only has 1 of each weapon that can be equipped to Kans, but in my experience you always want Kans to have the same weapon option, that way shots are maximized at what each gun is best against.  For example Grotzookas are best against low tough infantry like termagants, Rokkits best for anti-tank, and KMBs best for anti Terminator/term equivalent.  Rokkits are usually the go to option due to Orks difficulty with AntiTank as well as the enhanced BS of the Kans, but regardless of what option you pick, I heavily advice some konverting on your part to equip each with the same weapon (I believe that Rokkits from the Deff Dread model are easy to swap onto the Kans, but I haven't done so personally).

And now if you excuse me I need to percolate that morning coffee

Peace
~OD
« Last Edit: September 5, 2012, 10:26:42 AM by OD from TV »
Truly beautiful work. That's the kind of stuff that makes a true mekanik cry tears of joy.
OD, you once again prove that your are still the freakin Da Vinci of plasticard

Offline SKEETERGOD

• Infinity Circuit | Boss Orkountant | I used Flash Gitz and didn't lose! | KoN Warlord
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • The best upgrade for an ork, is more orks!
  • Armies: Hmmmm.... Orks?
« Reply #3 on: September 5, 2012, 01:06:58 PM »
Wow, the boss beat me to it, oh well. Since I see a budding speed freak I can still post the invite. I  invite you to join the Waagh. Just go to THIS LINK and post a reply that you would like to join.

Now on to your list. A biker boss and a big mek with KFF are great starts. I suggest that if you are going to go bike heavy that you convert your biker boss to be Wazdakka, just add some bigger guns to the bike and put a flaming skull somewhere on the bike (read the fluff) and presto; Wazdakka. He will be essential to making your biker squads troops so you can at least score an objective, other wise you will have to rely on tabling your opponent every game to get the win (a lot harder than it sounds  ;)).

Like OD said get the stuff you need to bring your biker squad to full strength, he suggested 10 I suggest the full 12 with one being the nob with boss pole a power klaw. Do not pay for other upgrades as they won't use them. This will be your main shooty unit as 12 twin link deff guns can put out a lot of fire, and when you overwatch the same applies.

Two units of boys in trucks to be able to take objectives is a good start, With a unit or two of bikers, two units of trucks and a deff dread, you will soon find yourself with a full force org of troop choices.

One unit that is really great in this edition is the burna boys. Have your big mek with KFF ride with them in a battle wagon, and make sure to give him a burna and boss pole as well. You will really find that the burna boys in a battle wagon are a fantastic great unit. You can read  The Burna Boy Tactica 

As for tank bustas, I have found that mine are a great anti air asset, a full squad of 15 even firing snap shots will still perform very well and clear the board of flyers. Use your converted looted wagon as a battle wagon and add four rockit launchers to the front so the BW can shoot down flyers as well. Not to mention that against nids they are great monstrous creature killers.

Convert your nobs into Flash Gitz, and give them a pain boy. I always use more shooty and more dakka upgrades as they really make a difference. The blastier upgrade will mean you cause more wounds to your own unit than you do against the enemy, so I suggest not using that upgrade. As for the Captain Badrukk, he costs as much as a BW but he does have a boss pole and he will hit something at least once during the game. His super snazz gun is strong enough to shoot down most skimmers and flyers, but he needs to hit first. I suggest only using him in bigger point games if you are limited on models. I also suggest a looted aegis defense line for them, as this will make them infinitely more survivable.

If you decide to go with nob bikers make sure to take the waagh banna and give at least one a boss pole. I equip mine with 8 big choppas and one PK, and a pain boy giving cybork to all. You can buy grenades if you have the spare points. This is one of the hardest units in the ork army, and pricey too (both as points and dollars).

Alas, I do digress, now we are getting you into the 2k range of army and you only want to be at 1k, so just hold off on the nob bikers until you are fully addicted.

Now, I must also go in search of coffee, I can see the pot is done brewing. I hope all that makes sense, if not, I will try again later.
"It needs but one foe to breed a war. And even those who have not swords can still die upon them" (Lady Eowyn)
     We orks are not about being the hero; We orks are about being the mob.

Quote from: angel of death 007
Skeetergod: (adj) A crazy fascination for all things combustible mixed with an unhealty lust for red paint. see also Speed Freak

Offline SKEETERGOD

• Infinity Circuit | Boss Orkountant | I used Flash Gitz and didn't lose! | KoN Warlord
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • The best upgrade for an ork, is more orks!
  • Armies: Hmmmm.... Orks?
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2012, 09:35:08 AM »
Now that does indeed look like the bike of the aporkalypse, and a quick job it was too. If you can customize a bike like that in no time flat I look forward to seeing your speed freak army progress.

As a suggestion, if you are going to make this about your building of your army, I recommend you head on over to the modeling forum or the project blog and start a project thread there. That way if it is a few weeks between posts you won't get penalized for thread necromancy as it is your project thread.

This way we all get to see you your models as you get them built and painted (and there could even be some favoritism teef in there too). Then just make sure to post an update in the WoTW thread when you get stuff done so we can all go and ogle your work.

Here are a couple of examples for you
Looted razor wing
Zognuts' Deff Sqwadron
My Hoard is Started

Besides, you look like an awsome kitbasher/modeler, I would really like to see some more of your work as your army progresses.
"It needs but one foe to breed a war. And even those who have not swords can still die upon them" (Lady Eowyn)
     We orks are not about being the hero; We orks are about being the mob.

Quote from: angel of death 007
Skeetergod: (adj) A crazy fascination for all things combustible mixed with an unhealty lust for red paint. see also Speed Freak