News:

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 1000 pt "highlander" tournie list  (Read 829 times)

Offline Azonalanthious

• Biker Nob | KoN Veteran
  • When in doubt, use more explosives.
1000 pt "highlander" tournie list
« on: October 21, 2010, 09:33:23 PM »
So, another local tournie coming up fairly quickly.  Another win would be nice, still got more models I want to snag with the winnings.

Tournie rules: Armies are 1000 points and must have exactly 1 hq, 1 troop, 1 elite, 1 fast attack, and 1 heavy support choice.  All non-vehicle units count as scoring.  Dedicated transports are not allowed.

List:

HQ:
-Doc Grotznik

Elite:
-15 kommandos w/ snikrot, 2 burnas

Troops:
-19 boyz, nob w/ boss pole, big choppa

Fast Attac:
-20 stormboyz w/ zagstrukk

Heavy Support:
-Battlewagon w/ red paint, deffrolla

My thinking: The tournie rules block out alot of traditional ork builds.  Can't do much of a wave of boyz with only one troop choice, can't do do a proper dreddbash without more dreads then you can fit, can't do much of a kult of speed with no trukks.  A proper nob biker squad would make it hard to muster the points to fill the other slots, and a foot slogging nob unit will have the downsides of a footslogging list without the needed numbers.  So I tried to come up with a list that still had the speed to get the boyz into assault without counting on the traditional trukks and still had reasonable numbers.  The doc is a bit of a gamble since I risk both my boyz and battlewagon being dragged around by their nose, but I really don't have anywhere else to spend points in this list and I don't know what I would replace him with that wouldn't be cheaper (but not cheap enough to fully 'ard boy or cybork a unit which is about the only option I can think of).  Advice and thoughts are certainly welcome - I'm still very up in the aid about this particular list.  Thanks!

Offline Blindmage

• Ork Yoof
  • Armies: The Ripper Horde, Kroot anything, rarely Necrons
Re: 1000 pt "highlander" tournie list
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2010, 03:59:02 AM »
it'll be hard to hit 1,000pnts with only one of each slot available.

I'm really not too sure what advice i can offer. my ork versions wouldn't work, masses for grots and big gunz....hmm...

Grotsnik
7 meganobs - 280
30 grots, 3 runtherders with prods, all with cybork bodies - 300
3 skorchas with red painjob and grot riggers - 150
3 big guns with kannons, full crew runtherder, prod and cybork everything - 102

total: 992

it could work!

Offline Badb Catha

• My way isn't very sportsmanlike...
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2010, 07:28:52 PM »
I think Grotsnik's too risky; immobilizing your Battlewagon effectively disables 40% of your army.  I would take a Big Mek with a Kustum Force Field instead.  I haven't had much success with maximum size Zagstrukk units, either.  I like Zagstrukk in a little 5 man suicide squad, but the lack of a PK in subsequent rounds of combat means his squad (regardless of size) can get bogged down if they don't win the first round of combat.  I would downgrade to a regular PK wielding Nob, you can hide the unit behind the Battlewagon as you move up the field, and they'll get cover from the KFF.  Here's how I would write your list:

HQ
130  Big Mek (Kustum Force Field, PK, Boss Pole, Cybork Body, 'Eavy Armour)

Elite
265  15 Kommandos, 2 Burnas, Snikrot

Troops
159  19 Boyz, Nob (PK, Boss Pole, 'Eavy Armour)

Fast Attack
285  20 Stormboyz, Nob (PK, Boss Pole, 'Eavy Armour)

Heavy Support
160  Battlewagon (Deff Rolla, Armour Plates, Kannon, Wreckin Ball, 1 Big Shoota, Grabbin' Klaw, Red Paint Job, Grot Riggers)

Total

The Battlewagon soaked up a bunch of points in quasi-worthless upgrades (and there are other point sinks to choose from, too!)  I like the sound of the Highlander format, I'll try and get a game in and test out this list: 

1,000 Points Shooty Orks   

HQ
120  Big Mek (Kustum Force Field, PK, Boss Pole, 'Eavy Armour)

Elite
165  11 Lootas

Troops
250  30 Shoota Boyz, 3 Rokkits, Nob (Pk, Boss Pole)

Fast Attack
190  6 Bikes, Nob (Pk, Boss Pole)

Heavy Support
275  5 Flash Gitz, Shootier, More Dakka, Cybork Bodies, +1 Painboy, Cybork Body, 3 Ammo Runtz

Total

Dakka Dakka Dakka!!!
« Last Edit: October 24, 2010, 03:56:55 AM by Badb Catha »

Offline Azonalanthious

• Biker Nob | KoN Veteran
  • When in doubt, use more explosives.
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2010, 01:13:35 AM »
Yeah, we tested a couple highlander builds in games over at a friends today, its actually quite a fun format.  We are pestering the tournie organizer to build in some type of "true highlander" movie/series rules into things- if your hq kills your foe's hq it gets some type of bonus for the rest of the tournie and the hq that was killed can't be used for the rest of the tourny (but only in cases of hq on hq).  There can be only one!  :D  We haven't talked him into it yet though.  Honestly, as much as I hate not going green, my space marine highlander list did far better then any of the orc varients I tried, mores the pity.  I'll have 2 more gaming get togethers before the tournie though, so time to try a couple other builds. 
« Last Edit: October 24, 2010, 01:15:41 AM by Azonalanthious »