flood

News:

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Trygon/Mawloc Assembly....  (Read 6779 times)

Offline Khira'lyth

• Archon
  • I *LOVE* EO and 40K.ca
Trygon/Mawloc Assembly....
« on: March 25, 2010, 05:28:48 PM »
Hey all,

So I'm working on my first Trygon kit (finally).  I have the urge to leave it muteable enough to sit in as whichever variety of snake-beast I care for (usually a Trygon or a Prime, but I may toy with a Mawloc here and there).

This is also due to me thinking certain bitz are just cooler than others... ha... but that's beside the point.

I have a good deal of Rare Earth magnets, so stuff like arms would be easy to do if I saw fit, but certain pieces like the head crest and jaw may be more difficult...

Anyway, I was fiddling with the sucker and I noticed that the Trygon jaw snapped into place and held rather well on its own.  I was a bit excited by this, so I went ahead and put together the mawloc jaw, but it doesn't seem to fit in at all.  And I don't mean it doesn't snap in securely, I mean I can't get it flush with the rest of the head - no matter how I put it there are noticeable gaps.

I put the jaw together before trying to fit it to the head... does the kit just not build that way with the Mawloc?  Do you have to glue in the jaw to the head, then put in the tongue/etc?  Or is this just the way it fits in?

I haven't looked at another Mawloc up close so I don't even have anything to go by.  Not sure if I'm just not pushing it in enough, if it's meant to be separated a bit, or if maybe I just have a slightly malformed kit.

Anyone who's put a few of these together and has an idea, I'd appreciate a little feedback on the subject.

Khira'lyth

Offline Master Bio-Titan BT

• Armies: Chaos Marines and Tyranids
Re: Trygon/Mawloc Assembly....
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2010, 09:25:17 PM »
I have answers and solutions to your questions!!!  However, my wife just gave birth to our new son and I am stuck at the hospital til Saturday evening and will not have access to the pictures that I took of my Trygon/Prime conversion for you to reference.  If you give me a few days and send me a PM I will be sure to post some pictures for you and everyone else to do to convert your Trygon to a T-Prime.  I will say that converting a Trgon to a Mawloc would be quite difficult to do but I do have a solution to that too!

There are only 3 main pieces that differentiate the two models; the mandibles, tail, and head carapace.  The Trygon to Trygon Prime conversion is a pretty easy conversion and you will only need two magnets to swap out the two different head carapaces.  The tail ends and mandibles are convertable by using different sized square brass tubings that slide over one another.  Pictures will help explain but I will require time.

The Mawloc is a much more difficult to convert and I really only suggest that you purchase this model and assemble it as is, however there is a way to get around this and it is called EBay or other websites that sell bitz.  You will first need to decide whether or not you want all the extra appendages on the Mawlocs back to be on a Trygons back.  You can magnatize these pieces with small rare earth magnets but you find that they will be cumbersome during game play and fall off anyway.  They only real difference in the 3 variants is the head that will make them stand out on the battlefield, well, along with the tail end.  So, EBay, you can purchase an additional Mawloc head or Trygon head or whichever pieces that you will need to do your conversion.  This way you will not have to convert the main lower jaw/neck portion that is key to the model.  Assemle the heads as normal but do not glue the head/neck into the torso.  Here is where you will want to use strong rare earth magnets to accomidate the weight of the head and/or use the square brass tubing to slide the head into and out of the torso.  This way you can have all three different heads assembled and simply swap out the heads for what variant you wish to play.  Now, not to discourage anyone from using the Mawloc, personally, he doesn't fit into my armylists and is quite unimpressive in CC.

I will post pics sometime around Sunday. 

2008 CSM Poster of the Year

My CSM Conversions & Tutorials (Updated 12-22-12) 

My Tyranid Conversions & Tutorials  (Updated 12-23-12)

Offline DinoCop

• SPAMMER: forum blabbermouth
  • Bust a deal, face the wheel.
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2010, 02:36:57 PM »
Hi,
This is how my Primal Tryghorn (as I call him) looks like, using Trygon Prime with no upgrades.

Banned

Offline Master Bio-Titan BT

• Armies: Chaos Marines and Tyranids
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2010, 06:19:19 PM »
Damn Dino!!!  That looks awesome and I just love the base, paint scheme, and extra talons!!!  Bravo!

So, as I previously promised, here are the conversion photos for you all to go by.  Refer to my previous post for written instructions as they should be adequate along with the referenced photos.

The three main pieces that shows the difference between the Trygon and T-Prime.

A closer look at the squard tubing and magnet in the head carapace.

Doing the tail was the most complicated.  It was a bit difficult to line up the two holes that I drilled in each piece so that the tubings slide over each other flush with the tail.  There is always greenstuff to fill the gap which I plan to do but may be a bit overkill as I do not plan to enter it into a competition. 

A look at the inside of the head.

A closer look at the largest square tubing that was drilled/inserted into the mandible holes.  The medium tubing is attached to the left mandible and the smallest tubing attached to the right mandible slides into the medium tubing of the left mandible.

And of course the final product with the lesser Trygon bitz at the base.

Feel free to ask questions but just don't ask me the sizes of the tubing as I do not know.  I just took my bitz with me to a hobby store and test fitted/compare what bitz from the largest to the smallest will fit, you kind of just have to eyeball it.

2008 CSM Poster of the Year

My CSM Conversions & Tutorials (Updated 12-22-12) 

My Tyranid Conversions & Tutorials  (Updated 12-23-12)