News:

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 1720 point space marine list.  (Read 401 times)

Offline dregogg

• lo and behold the prodical son returns
1720 point space marine list.
« on: July 7, 2009, 10:46:59 PM »
this is a list that I'm working on to kill an eclectic cast of enemies. suggestions would be welcome.

HQ: space marine captain

combi-melta, power sword and melta-bombs
total-130 points

elites: assault terminators

5 terminators
2 thunder hammer, 3 lightning claw
total:200 points

sternguard veteran squad

5 veterans
power fist(sergeant), melt-bombs, 1 flamer
total-155 points

dreadnought

assault canon,drop pod, heavy flamer
total-155

dreadnought

twinlinked lascannon, drop pod
total-170 points

troops:
scout squad

5 scouts
5 sniper rifles, camo cloaks, teleport homer
total-105 points

tactical squad

10 marines
flamer, missle launcher, melta bombs,rhino
total-210 points

fast attack:
land speeder squadron
3 land speeders
2 tornado assault cannons, 1 typhoon missile launcher, 1 multi-melta
total-280 points

land speeder storm
total-50 points

assault marines

5 marines
melta-bombs, thunder hammer, storm sheild
total-135 points

grand total: 1720
hit 'em hard and hit 'em fast. then hit 'em again before they get back up.-13'th cadia credo

Offline NewHeretic

• Same Heretic, New God | Ork Boy
Re: 1720 point space marine list.
« Reply #1 on: July 8, 2009, 12:32:12 AM »
The biggest problem is that you have a little bit of everything, which equals a bunch of weak units that aren't capable of holding their own or successfully fulfilling their role on the battlefield.

Here's my first suggestion: take the following units and decide which two of them you really want to keep.
  Terminators
  Sternguard
  Scouts
  Assault Marines

Now, drop the two you don't choose and use the points to buff up the remaining two squads.

Now, I'm assuming that you want to keep your Dreadnoughts and Land Speeders, so here are a few suggestions with respect to them.

1) The Dread with a T-L Lascannon doesn't really need a Drop Pod.  He'll have all the range he needs from most anywhere on the battlefield.  Use the points to give him Extra Armor, make him Venerable, or to buff up one of the two squads you chose to keep above.

2)  Tornados aren't as effective anymore since they can't move more than 6" (in which case, they won't get a Cover Save) and fire both of their weapons.  I suggest you do one of the following with your Speeders:
  a)  Turn them all into Typhoons;
  b)  Give them mutually exclusive weapons, like a Multi-Melta and a Heavy Flamer.  Yes, I said mutually exclusive.  You'll only get to fire one of them each Turn anyway, so give them two very different weapons so that you have a proper weapon for whatever role you find your Tornados in at any particular moment in the battle (anti-infantry or anti-tank).
  c)  Drop one of the weapons so that they are simply Land Speeders.  Use the points elsewhere in your list.

Now, onto your Troops choices.  If you're going to keep the Land Speeder Storm, you should use it to your full advantage and embark a unit of Close Combat Scouts in it.  See my thread on Scout Tactics (http://www.40konline.com/index.php?topic=185361.0) for my advice on how to equip this squad.

Your Tactical Sergeant should really have a Powerfist and you'd be well-served by dropping enough points elsewhere in your list to add a second Tactical Squad.  You've got lots of fancy units, but not enough of a foundation in troops.  Objectives missions are 2/3 of the mission scenarios in 5th Ed.  You will be sorry for not bringing more Troops to secure them.

I hope this helps.

NewHeretic
Good advice from Joshua:

Choose you this day
Whom you will serve...
As for me and my house,
We will serve the Lord.

NewHeretic, forum policeman.

Offline dregogg

• lo and behold the prodical son returns
Re: 1720 point space marine list.
« Reply #2 on: July 8, 2009, 08:09:29 PM »
thanks for the advice, I'll try to employ it in my list.
hit 'em hard and hit 'em fast. then hit 'em again before they get back up.-13'th cadia credo