News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Older can of base coat  (Read 1092 times)

Offline DRGNLRD

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Older can of base coat
« on: March 8, 2009, 03:19:20 PM »
I have a question. I have a can of black and a can of white base coat from citadel colour. It is about 4 years old the white may be 5 years old. Does this stuff go bad? I have not yet tried to use it but was curious before I wasted my time with it.

Offline scarycrow

Re: Older can of base coat
« Reply #1 on: March 8, 2009, 03:31:51 PM »
well my can was almost a year and it worked fine. I say test it spray it on something and see if it is blochy or runny or dryed

Offline DJ-of-E

• Slow Painter is Slow
    • DJ-of-E's 40k Album
« Reply #2 on: March 8, 2009, 05:18:05 PM »
well my can was almost a year and it worked fine. I say test it spray it on something and see if it is blochy or runny or dryed

This I would definitely agree.  If you kept them in room temperature and don't expose the can in high heats and very colds, it can stay good for a very long time (I had old GW white that still works after 4 years).  If you have not used it for such a long time, spray it at some disposable panel or wall.  You may need to shake for a minute and spray, then repeat the process for about a couple times to clear any blockages.

I live in California, so we don't get colds or hots like the rest of the world.

Offline Spirit of Kurnous

• Infinity Circuit
« Reply #3 on: March 8, 2009, 05:29:39 PM »
i have tins around 8 years old and they are still ok (in fact the white seems better than usual oddly enough).
40k:
Eldar=12000pts
Slaanesh Deamons = 2000pts

Fantasy:
Slaanesh=5000pts      
Wood Elves=6000pts
Slaanesh Deamons = 3000pts
High Elves 3000pts

Offline DRGNLRD

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #4 on: March 8, 2009, 05:58:39 PM »
I guess I could spray it on some cardboard. Not much "junk" laying around to test spray really. Just wasn't sure if this would be the same as spraying it on the minis as far as the texture or what not.

Offline DRGNLRD

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #5 on: March 8, 2009, 06:09:59 PM »
I found a few plastic jungle trees that came with my megaforce and tried out the black. I am amazed it is still good. It has been sitting on our mud room cabinet for 4 years now. not exposed to extreme temp but we do not worry to much about climate control in that room. A lot of times we keep the vents closed. I am happy because I can start to atempt to paint again.