News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Nova Marine Background?  (Read 3027 times)

Offline mrtspence; Formerly Overkill1

• To kill, or not to kill, that is the question...
Nova Marine Background?
« on: February 13, 2009, 11:59:31 PM »
Hi all, I have recently started up Nova Marines, inspired by their neat name, good colour scheme, and possibility for a lot of plasma cannons ;). I only have 6 tactical marines done (1 in the finalizing stages, and another 2 with just a basecoat as well as the rest of a battleforce unpainted and not assembled as well as six devastator plasma cannons being shipped from the states!) but I have been wondering what kind of history the Nova Marines have. All I know is that they fought in the Badab War and their chapter has been fragmented. Help Plox?
-"Damn Those Laser Cats..."

Offline augustmanifesto

Re: Nova Marine Background?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2009, 04:36:15 PM »
I asked the same question a few months(ish?) back. All that I've found in Official Fluff is the scant references in the 5th edition SM dex, which states the "Novamarines are scattered throughout the galaxy and not fought together as a Chapter since M37" and "Task force Septus" is "under attack by chaos renegades believe dto be in the Employ of Huron Black Heart (p. 25, 31).

Other than that, there is a very sparce entry at the Lexicanum and I hear they were mentioned back in the days of Rogue Trader.

So, it seems, it's up to us to turn them into a table top and fan fluff reality. It's interesting you locked in on the star theme and decided to represent it by the plasma cannon, as I came up with the same. Here's what I typed up for my own benefit:

NOVAMARINES
“These stars belong to the Emperor!”

History

Based on Honorium in the Ultima Segmentum, the Novamarine Chapter was founded by the Ultramarines subsequent to the promulgation of the Codex Astartes. Over its millennia of service, the Chapter has been instrumental in a number of major engagements, including the 13th Black Crusade, the Badab War, and the Damocles Crusade.     

The Chapter specializes in operating in total vacuum and low gravity environments, self-tasked to protect Imperial shipping lanes, outposts on moons and asteroids, and to assault enemy orbital defenses not vulnerable to the Imperial Navy. The Novamarines represent their pride in frequenting these especially arduous battlefields by incorporating an eclipsed star in their Chapter Symbol.

Although the Novamarines fight where and how threats demand, the widespread need for their combat specialty has scattered the Chapter across the galaxy, rarely assembled in groups above company strength. For this reason, it is rare for the Chapter to fight together as a whole, the last incidence of which was in the early years of M37.

Combat Doctrine

The delicate combat environments in which the Novamarines specialize make close quarter fighting impractical and confer severe limitations on the use of armored units. Therefore, the Chapter exploits the flexible agility of power armored Space Marines and ranged combat, especially energy weapons, the low kickback of which make them ideal for low gravity warfare.

While the Chapter has increasingly adopted a more flexible order of battle, Novamarine forces continue reflect their doctrinal heritage and continues to eschew hand-to-hand combat, deploy Terminators and Devastators instead of heavy armor, and strongly prefer plasma weapons and lascannons. 

Organization

The Novamarine Chapter organization observes the Codex Astartes, diverging in superficial and minor ways. 

Instead of being represented by color, company attachment is denoted by non-roman numerals displayed on the right knee. First company is not assigned a numeral.

While squad-type insignias apply the symbols prescribed in the Codex, squad attachment is denoted by a colored stripe on the left knee.

The Chapter frequently operates in Task Forces. Task Force attachments are denoted on the weapon casings by a symbol specific to that Task Force.

PS: have any pics?
« Last Edit: February 22, 2009, 06:39:42 PM by augustmanifesto »
join 40k0 on facebook!

Biff Puzzled his brains. He thunk fast. The Emp was the Emp, natch. Techs worshiped the Emp. Even Scum swore by the Emp...The Emp was megabossgod. Yet who was the Emp? Where was the Emp?
Everwhere. Nowhere
Somewhere.
Not Here...
So maybe nowhere near.
Maybe the Emp was further away than Biff could imagine. And even more mega.

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2009, 09:37:01 PM »
I like that a lot actually! I may build on it later if you don't mind.

Here is a few shots of my first (and WIP) tac squad. My Plasma cannons should be arriving sometime this week.

I am horrible at taking pics and my camera is garbage, so the quality is subpar.

The one of my sergeant is especially poor. You get the idea though ;)

Offline augustmanifesto

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2009, 11:00:09 PM »
awesome! Man, I really like how you painted your minis. I'll have to take some pics of the Novas I'm working on.

By all means build on the fluff I've got going! a) its a rough draft and it needs some editing and b) I think it does a fair job of incorporating what little is known about the chapter and gives it some character in line with what makes sense given the "nova" reference without being too crazy.

Please share what you come up with, progress builds on progress. A neat idea: not many people play Novas (actually, you're the only one I've found) so if we stay in touch in regards to our progress it would really make sense to joint submit an article to one of the fan magz thats put out on .pdfs and etc.

Also, I know that BoLS is doing a mini-dex on the Badab War, which includes the Novas (at BolS you can DL Nova transfer sheets, if that helps you at all).

hope this isn't too much at once, just stuff to think about.
join 40k0 on facebook!

Biff Puzzled his brains. He thunk fast. The Emp was the Emp, natch. Techs worshiped the Emp. Even Scum swore by the Emp...The Emp was megabossgod. Yet who was the Emp? Where was the Emp?
Everwhere. Nowhere
Somewhere.
Not Here...
So maybe nowhere near.
Maybe the Emp was further away than Biff could imagine. And even more mega.

Offline Max Power

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2009, 12:42:27 PM »
I love your army. I'm always floored when people have the patience to do those quartered paint schemes. Keep it up.
Kids, there's three ways to do things.  The right way, the wrong way, and the Max Power way!
Isn't that the wrong way?
Yes, but faster!

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2009, 08:53:05 PM »
awesome! Man, I really like how you painted your minis. I'll have to take some pics of the Novas I'm working on.

By all means build on the fluff I've got going! a) its a rough draft and it needs some editing and b) I think it does a fair job of incorporating what little is known about the chapter and gives it some character in line with what makes sense given the "nova" reference without being too crazy.

Please share what you come up with, progress builds on progress. A neat idea: not many people play Novas (actually, you're the only one I've found) so if we stay in touch in regards to our progress it would really make sense to joint submit an article to one of the fan magz thats put out on .pdfs and etc.

Also, I know that BoLS is doing a mini-dex on the Badab War, which includes the Novas (at BolS you can DL Nova transfer sheets, if that helps you at all).

hope this isn't too much at once, just stuff to think about.

I think we aught'a keep in touch. I would love to see some of our work up on BoLS so whenever I get some free time (I'm crushed under schoolwork currently as I was in New Orleans with a Jazz Band for a week) I will bounce some ideas around on this thread.

Also, thanks for the compliments guys! It is actually pretty easy to do. I just basecoat w/skull white spray. Paint ultramarines blue on half the head, the opposite half on the body, and the opposite half to that on the legs. I then shadow aggressively with fortress grey on the white and regal blue on the ultramarines blue. Belts, grates, and guns get boltgun metal followed by a gentle highlight of mithril silver. Gold bits get shining gold with burnished gold applied to raised areas and just a tiny bit of mithril silver on the most raised portions. Glass/guns/wax part of the purity seals gets red gore then highlights of blood red. The parchment part on purity seals get bleached bone then a badab black wash. Takes maybe and hour and a bit for each marine, but I rarely have time to sit and paint, usually just do a layer while my PC loads or I am checking my email or I do a layer after every paragraph in an essay etc.

I am really just waiting on the 6 dev plasma cannons I ordered to arrive before I can get going on the bulk of my army (as tac squads will be 10 strong with a sergeant+powerfist, marine with melta, and marine with plasma cannon. Sergeant and melta go in one combat squad, plasma cannon goes in the other to keep them all mobile and effecient.