News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Quick, Easy but effective [Imperial Guard] paint scheme  (Read 13267 times)

Offline Brigadier Georgiy Zhukov

• The 23rd Zaystevian Regiment
Quick, Easy but effective [Imperial Guard] paint scheme
« on: December 16, 2007, 07:48:31 PM »
Ive turned to this great knowledge base once again for some help with a paint scheme.

I'm looking for either an urban or woodland camouflage (I can't make my mind up :P). It would need to be able to painted quickly and easily and look good without any highlighting or drybrushing etc. as I dont have the skill, patience or time to do it. It would also need to be two colours, one for the armour/helmet the ohter for the fatigues.

If anyone has ideas or pictures of examples that would be awesome.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2007, 09:23:43 PM by Mr.Peanut »
Brigadier Georgiy Zhukov
Commander of the 23rd Zaystevian Regiment

Win-Draw-Loss: 0-0-0
Walker, Zaystevian Ranger

Offline Mr.Tanks

• Grot
  • Lord Despot of Dakka.
  • Armies: The Brave & Noble Albion 212th Imperial Guard
Re: Quick, Easy but effective paint scheme
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2007, 07:57:31 PM »
Thats not going to happen...

Effective paint schemes need at least 3 colours(not including primer) you can get away with one colour for the armour without edgeing, but the fatigues will need at least 2 colours, 1 for the actual colour of them and then for all the creased areas, for it to look good, oh and then you need to paint skin,
What I cannot crush with words, I shall crush with the tanks of the Imperial Guard!

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2007, 08:06:00 PM »
Obviously the skin, webbing, gun, boots etc. arnt counted in this.

If a few more colours techniques/paints are needed thats alright. My main priority is quick and simple to do.
Brigadier Georgiy Zhukov

Offline *Nosferatu*

• Why Hello There
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2007, 08:07:12 PM »
Also I'm a bit anal retentive and I'm going to have to force you to paint the eyes as well.  ;D

If you must got for a quick and cheap color scheme, use a black primer on the models to start off an urban camouflage, then I would paint the fatigues gray and another color or something, maybe white or something. Run some more black over the body army so it's not exactly the primer and then do the skin and weapons.

Though, I find that if you take it slowly and don't rush yourself, you'll enjoy it and get better at the same time. 

Offline Mr.Peanut (Turtleproof)

• Ride Like Lightning, Crash Like Thunder | Infinity Circuit | Pork Sword of Mod-Justice | Took the basket, nuts and lol | Good grief, ye hennie pennies
  • Ancient
  • Turtleposting At The Speed Of SHift
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Eldar, Sigmarines, Chaos, Demons
Re: Quick, Easy but effective [Imperial Guard] paint scheme
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2007, 09:29:02 PM »
You can do what you describe.  For the inducted Imperial Guard in my Daemonhunters, the most basic color scheme was used on the Catachan models I have.  Black undercoat, with nothing detailed.  The skin is painted a fleshtone, the hair blonde/brown/black, and then both are inked with brown or chesnut ink.  The weapons are painted Boltgun Metal and washed with black ink.  The shoulder pads (I made my own) are painted a dark green and then lightly inked so that the recesses are blackish.  Then the bandannas are base coated a blue/grey and then topped with white.

It's quite fast, and I find that the fatigues do not have the basecoat look despite being a basecoat.  The goal is to distract the eyes.  When there is enough color and depth information, it doesn't look like a blank model. 

I did paint the eyes, though.  Watery white to fill the socket (but not googley eyes) and a black dot.
You are
What you do
When it counts
     -The Masao
"Getting what you want can be dangerous.

Offline Dr_Ruminahui

• General | Missing: a title, and smilies
  • Ancient
  • Inquisitor Psychologis Ruminahui
    • Some of my painted minis
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2007, 12:04:27 AM »
One way to say time is to use the same wash for the entire figure... that's what I do.  Depending on your wash colour (I use a chestnut craft paint) and on how dirty you want your models to look, you may or may not need to highlight the models at all.

For example, for my convicts, I didn't need to do any highlighting:

For my regular troops, I use the same technique, but then bring the main surfaces (but not the folds/cracks) up to the original colour and highlight the edges:

Camo, on the otherhand, may be difficult, as it involves multiple colours to begin with.  I have yet to do it myself, realising that I would go insane if I tried. 8

Inquisitor Psychologis Ruminahui
The rules forum rules - no spamming, no flaming, no playing devil's advocate
------
2007: Tied for Most Valuable Non-Staff Member (with Full Metal Geneticist)
2008: Nicest Member, Strategic Excellence, Best Imperial Guard Poster, Rules Expert
2009: Best Local
2010: Nicest Member, Rules Expert

40KO IG Best painted - Storm troopers & Chimera

Offline Archonbjorn

• Archon
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Where's your emperor now?
    • Vengeance of the Fallen [Dutch]
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2007, 02:07:48 AM »
Drybrush isn't time consuming once you know how it works. The fastest way IMO would be black primer, drybrush dark grey and slightly drybrush a lighter grey. This will take longer then applying a single colour, but is stil easy to do, fast, and the results will look far better then just spraying them black.

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2007, 03:05:08 AM »
Well heres a idea i drew up. The fatigues are Desert Yellow and the armour Catachan Green.

Does anyone have any suggestions of application etc. etc.

Brigadier Georgiy Zhukov

Offline *Nosferatu*

• Why Hello There
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2007, 09:43:36 AM »
You've more or less chosen the Cadian 8th colors, there's a bit of help for that in the codex.

Offline guardsman314

• Ignorant: The Modify Button is Invisible, Who Needs a Codex?
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2007, 11:22:20 AM »
Try this one

Although i am skilled painter as you will see in the new year this is the paint scheme I am gonna use

http://el-festablo.deviantart.com/art/New-Cadian-painted-2257030

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2007, 05:20:02 PM »
Guardsman, I like that... what colours do you use?
Brigadier Georgiy Zhukov

Offline Hija

• The Emperor loves you Tau-boy
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2007, 06:42:43 AM »
A little trick I discovered is to do a simple paint job (I do green armour, grey trousers, black/brown boots/webbing, blue and gold for the shoulder plates, and I was scared for a while doing flesh, for some reason I could never get flesh to look right, until the foundation flesh paint that is (wonderful stuff)).  I use a mix of camo green + chaos black for the weapons, looks like FN (the rifle stock) green.  I used a dark wash on any detail (like green+black), and a brownish wash on the skin.  I do no highlighting.

I find the Catachan green to be a very thin paint, and would use another in the future.  So definitely requires two coats.

Okay, so you are finished, but your paint job looks crisp, undetailed and single toned.

Who can rescue you from this dilema?  There is a set of magical products produced by Tamiya (I think at Australian$10 each).  Each comes with three colours.  THe product is the TAMIYA WEATHERING MASTER.  Basically its a waxy clay thing, and you paint it on dry.  It gives a waxy feel to your model, which seems to protect it as well.  I mainly use the MUD option, but also use the Steel and Blue ones for vehicles and heat effects.

I use a stiffish brush.

In the end it makes your units looks a bit "dusty", it looks like you highlighted it, you can play with the amount you put on, from highlighted to downright dirty.

It takes about 10 seconds a model, a minute for a vehicle.  I often do it twice, once, then again another day after you have a good look at your work.

A life saver for someone who gets to paint after 11pm.

Another option is to use a spray paint for your basic colour, worked wonders on my vehicles (Tamiya Nato Black) and Gold for my DH.  Spray...a few detail colours...drybrush. ...weathering master.

Hija

Offline Kludkerdunk

• Nervous as a very short nun at a penguin shoot
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2007, 11:40:53 AM »
If you don't mind undercoating in white, I have an idea that was told to me a while ago. basically, over the undercoat you put random splodges of browns and greens, leaving some areas white. then you wash it in either brown or green ink, I suppose you could do both if you wanted. then finally just do the ebbing etc and undercoat the metal black before you paint it.

hope this helps, I've never tried it myself so I don't know if it will work. But I'm sure its very quick.

Kludkerdunk
74th Cadian
Commanding Officer: Colonel Kaze

W/L/D
4  2 2   

Last Game: 900 pts win against Marines.....it was a MASSACRE! :D He killed a sentinel and 6 guardsmen...I killed roughly 30 marines including a tooled - up command squad! And our luck was about average!

Quote from Spiteful on joining the 40th Corps:
In short it involves a ritual where you sell your soul to me, your body to goyder and your booze to rummy.

Offline ckblum

• I love Jesus!!
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2007, 04:01:32 AM »
Well heres a idea i drew up. The fatigues are Desert Yellow and the armour Catachan Green.

Does anyone have any suggestions of application etc. etc.

(Image removed from quote.)

Sorry I know it is off topic but where did you get that pic? I mean like a blank version? Because I keep seeing people posting the cartoon Guardsmen with their own colours. Is there like some editor somewhere or just a white blank copy I could use?

I actually got a few simple camo schemes if your interested and I could post them if I could draw them up on one of those dudes.
My army is powered by Jesus so no one can beat it.

Offline Postino

• couldn't spell my way out of a wet paper bag
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2007, 04:33:34 AM »
I have a buddy who just started painting his urban cadians; Black primer, white drybrush on the pants, dark gray drybrush on the armor then some ligth gray in other parts...not counting leathers and skins and so on. I am trying to convince him to do some gray-blue spots on it to heighten the camo aspect but we'll see.

I am going over to kick his dirty flashlight toting butt tomorrow so I'll get some pics for you.

« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2007, 02:47:36 PM »
The pics are available from GW UK just surch Imperial Guard Painter and its the first result I think.

Thanks for the help guys, im leaning more towards urban I think as it could lead to some interersting conversion (Flash Lights, Riot Type Shields for Rough Riders, interesting bases etc.)
Brigadier Georgiy Zhukov

Offline ckblum

• I love Jesus!!
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2007, 08:41:42 PM »
Thanks. I came up with these just fooling around after choosing colours. Ya Im a halo nerd too. Im leaning towards a more wasteland, war torn urban type feel. Like New Mombosa in Halo 3. But the last scheme is more of a concrete jungle type feel. I just think that everything would be blown up and covered in dust and rubble in my mind so thats why I picked those colours. As for the pattern its basically just Flecktarn but simplified. It is pretty simple to paint on figures, just a bunch of dots and splotches. If I can do it on 1/72 figs I think you could on guardsmen.

http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/5987/igtroopsqf2.png
My army is powered by Jesus so no one can beat it.

Offline Postino

• couldn't spell my way out of a wet paper bag
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2007, 10:03:45 PM »
here ya go; as I said above quick dry-brushes of each color