okay well it has been long since i have posted.
Um I have been working on the table still here and there.
- Well the flocking was completed and i found that it looked good if u very lightly brushed glue away from the edges of the big glue blobs in order to blend the grass to the dirt. This is because the sharp line created by just grassing a big blob of glue looks a bit unnatural. It is still a very subtle difference but i think it looks better.
- Man i really found out how hard it is to get excess grass off the table. I swept it a million times and vacuumed it 3 times!! And while it would seem that all the excess had come off. All it takes is one brush sweep off the edge and u can see the little fibres flowing off the edge. None hte less on the table it looks the same.. it is like there is inifinite grass or something.
- The solution to this grass which is for all purposes not going to move but techinically will if u quickly sweep a brush over it, was the paint. So ya, i airbrushed the entire table. Man this was a lot of work. But surprisingly didn't take as much paint as i thought it would. I used less than 2 oz of green airbrush paint and about 1 oz of yellow. I first airbrushed all the grass green, trying to control the spray and block off non grass areas with a piece of paper as i went around the board. Then i went over the grass on the table with a yellow, making the grass more ... yellow ...
. I tried to make the edges of teh large grass patches more yellow than the centres. as if the grass was dieing as it went towards dirt. However this was done very slightly. Um. What i learned is that is that it is a big process, and messy, and with the green paint my airbrush kept getting clogged so i was getting frustrated since i would have to dissassemble it and clean it all out. But just water down the paints more so u can avoid this. And no matter how hard u try u will get paint on areas u don't want to. I really didnt' want to tape off the hole board since a) i don't want harsh lines, and b) it would take SOOOOO long. So after i was done i retouched all the rocks and dirt where green had over sprayed.
- I also got around to painting the base of the shallow river. I just blended browns from the edge to black in the centre (for the illusion of depth). This was so easy with an airbrush, though still could be done with a brush just with much more effort.
- once all the paint dried the grass would no longer come off when u brushed at it. ANd it is still fuzzy dispite what people might think abuot painting static grass. (well i mean u need to use an airbrush and not a brush.. but it still is static grass and not just a mess of fibres and paint).
- The reason the grass was painted again was because it needed to match the trees i had and the woodland scenics stuff which is amazing for quantity isn't the nicest stuff, and has a very dull colour.
- I also put all the trees on the table!
This step was fun since it made such a big difference in the look of the table. I simply took a hammer and a thin nail and would hammer two small holes into the table (a hammer and nail was needed to break through the very tough and strong sand/glue mixture on top) into which i would just press the two wire ends sticking off the bottom of each tree.
- Oh ya
the tree trunks were all painted brown such that the wire was silver anymore.
- The trees seem to hold very well right now but i may consider glueing them. But I am considering leaving them as is sicne they don't move at all, and i can still techinically move them around, since the holes i push them into are SOOO small u can't even see them incase i move a tree. Like had a LOT of trouble finding hte holes i hammered to put the wire into. Especially since they are in static grass which easily masks the pin holes.
- planning went into the tree placement for cover and game play. ANd i had 12 trees left over which i used on the board for more decorative purposes making sure the table seemed more evenly covered.
- water time