News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Tau...er, Project  (Read 3966 times)

Offline web ghost

• Lookit me! I did something useful!
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • "Beware of this and that" -Edward Gorey
Tau...er, Project
« on: April 11, 2007, 02:39:17 PM »
Howdy foks.  you are probably sick to death of these Tau of mine by now as I have been posting pictures of them in a bunch of different threads.  To avoid keeping doing that, I figured I'd round them all up into one thread.

Fire Warriors.  the whole bunch 

pulse carbines:

pulse rifles 1:

pulse rifles 2:

close up (the first guy, they've improved):

Stealth suits:

Drones:

Sniper drones:

Vespid:

they all need a fair amount of work.  Extreme highlighting on the FWs.  all the metal bolt things.  Basing will probably be changed to give them a little more life and some contrast ebtween the greys of their fatigues and the grey ground.  Questions, comments, crits?

later WG

« Last Edit: April 12, 2007, 12:32:46 PM by web ghost »

Offline Librarian Thom

Re: Tau...er, Project
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2007, 03:48:47 PM »
Really nice stuff, Stealth Suits are excellent!

And might I add, good job on the photography!

Offline Kingpin

• Official Babie Eater
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2007, 03:50:50 PM »
Excellent work mate!!!!!!!!! ;D
The other day it was raining cats, and dogs. I stepped in a poodle.

LOL

Offline bishops finger

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2007, 03:41:12 AM »
i said it before and ill by golly say it again i really love these guys and the colour scheme.
really nice sharp painting esp the lenses,really sharp...question do you use a magnifying tool?
im wondering if i should look into somthing as my eyes are not all that,it would be nice to be able to get the same close up pin sharpness.i bet these look 10 times better to the naked eye too. go forth and do if for the greater good!

ps you paint to fast to! damn it i creeping through my tau at a painful rate

Offline .:Darkness:.

• Zombie Jesus is notoriously hard to put down.
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2007, 08:21:54 AM »
Yeah, iv painted like 6 firewarriros in a month and a half. This speed is just amazing.
“Why did I have to get the imperial guardsmen, you don’t even have any good weapons or features”
“I do so” I said defensively. “I’ve got my lasgun and my trusty bayonet”
“What a gun that will give the other contestants cancer in ten years, or at worst will make them squint. Then you have a blade that’s more suited to opening cans and to top it all off, your covered in cardboard for armour.”

Offline web ghost

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2007, 12:29:04 PM »
thanks folks.  Yeah i don't know whats up with the speed either.  A lot of it has to do with the monthly challenges.  I usually sign up and fail.  So last month I vowed not to fail my vow.  As it was thirty fire warriors it was quite tough.  but I did it which left me all the fun stuff.  Usually I model, paint and convert very slowly.  It helps that this army has next to no conversions (for now.)  Also, my last two armies were Death Guard and Imperial Fists.  they were/are  both very time consuming.  the death guard because there was so much conversion involved and so many layers to paint as well as so many different secondary colors (weapons, bones, metal, gore, etc.)   The Imperial Fists went very very slow as painting yellow is a nightmare.  They still need a ton of work to get to a viable list. 

these Tau on the other hand have been pretty straight forward.  The color scheme is pretty simple and just takes several layers to achieve.  there is not a lot of blending or shading necessary as it was for the DG and the IFs.  there are also far fewer details and secondary color things as the models have far less of that stuff (purity seals etc.)  Granted I still have to do the small amount of stuff they have. 

I guess the major thing though is that I have been working on them like a ding dong.  Its not really that I am painting fast, it is more that I have been painting normally a lot of the time.  I have been doing little else with my free time.  Also I don't play with unpainted minis so I want to get them up and going so I can use them.  As both the IFs and the DG are power armored they are relatively similar.  The Tau on the other hand are completely different.  It is almost as though I am working towards playing a different game. 

on the magnifying thing:  no I don't use one.  though I would like to.  The first thing I though when I saw that scene in the 40 yr. old virgin was, wow I want one of those.  It looked like a large magnifying lens attached to an arm.  the magnifying element also had lights on it.  so it both magnified and illuminated.  very cool.

I'm proud of the army so far.  It is really a bit looser than some of my other ones but the scheme is striking so it stands out. 

later WG

Offline darthplagis

• Time to crack out the bongos.
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2007, 10:02:32 AM »
i love em!!!! great colour choice if i wearnt already doing blue id copy it, ah wot  the heck i'll scrub and restart ;D

really like the stealth suits

Offline web ghost

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2007, 08:32:48 PM »
this army now has a commander.

later WG

Offline dark reign

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2007, 03:10:49 AM »
This is quite an impressive job you done here i have to commend your ability as a painter and also as a photographer you have done this so well. also how in the name of god did you do it so fast it seems like you just started it yet the job you have done looks like it took ages. this is a nice colour scheme i hope that this will not be your last job either because this is really quite impressive.
It is said a picture says 1000 words i say 1 bullet stops them

Offline web ghost

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2007, 12:39:10 PM »
thanks muchly Dark Reign.  And thanks for the compliment on the photos.  I suck at trying to set up the white background, no direct light thing, but I seem to be OK at doing game board shots. 

on the speed thing:  Its not that I am painting them terribly fast, it is just that I've been spending ridiculous amounts of time on them in a pretty short spanse. 

i hope that this will not be your last job
  Yeah, I hope I don't die either.  ;) :D  No, there is plenty more to do on these dudes....broadsides, crisis teams, tanks, more stealth suits, more sniper teams, etc.

later WG