News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Magnetizeing Units  (Read 4949 times)

Offline pnrule

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Magnetizeing Units
« on: April 30, 2006, 08:38:43 PM »
I'm not sure if this is the right place to put this, but oh well.  Can you guys give me some tips on using magnets in my models, like making it to where i could switch between an Ion Cannon and a Railgun on a Tau Hammerhead, or a flamer and a plasma rifle on an XV8? Where should I get the magnets?  How should I attach them? Etc. Thanks; just general tips would be appreciated.

Offline Kasaron Tyler Gigliello

• It's pronounced 'Kah-Sah-Ron.' Call me Kasa.
    • Deviantart
Re: Magnetizeing Units
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2006, 09:47:27 PM »
pin vice + http://www.kjmagnetics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=D101 + GS + Glue. kaboom. Enough there to do like fifty battlesuits.

ur welcome.
"I'm not sure he's supposed to make that noise...Or bend that way."
"No worries. He's got a few friends, I can afford to break a few until I get it -just- right."
 - Me and a friend. I'll let you guess if we were working on models, tools, or people.

Offline Greenstuff

• Banned - Useless Petty Spammer
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • BANNED
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2006, 09:50:17 PM »
Rather than start a new topic i might aswell post here, does anyone know of any UK suppliers of rare earth magnets?

Greenstuff
User Banned - break the rules and get chucked out.

Offline Colonel Shofer

• Somniorum messores: LPDF
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2006, 11:26:49 PM »
Dear GS,

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Civic-Technologies

Looks pretty good to me.

I will be sending for their cubes and more tinies soon.

This is Trooper M.A. Gnethead, sporting a 6 x 1.5 mm for scale:

Then again, at those USA prices and the low mass, it may be even better to get the smaller versions shipped over, in bulk, and sell them in UK.

CS
« Last Edit: April 30, 2006, 11:54:58 PM by Colonel Shofer »
Laurentix Planetary Defence Force (LPDF)

'Resolve'
In Support of Our Brothers and Sisters

Somniorum messores:LPDF

Offline celestial.dragon

• Incubus to the Supreme Archon of Commorragh
  • Tea & Comfits!
« Reply #4 on: May 1, 2006, 12:19:13 AM »
Here is a basic explanation of how I converted my Crisis suits. Hopefully it will help you.

What you need:

1) Rare earth magnets.

Try: http://www.kjmagnetics.com/products.asp?cat=10 
It's a good store that was highly recommend on this site. I was very pleased with their service.

I recommend something smaller than the Grade N42 1/4" dia. x 1/16" thick - Nickel Plated ones. I bought a few of those and they are too big for most conversions.

You can also buy them for $1 each at Radio Shack in the USA

2) A scrap piece of thin metal that is magnetic.

What I use on my conversions:

You could also put a magnet on both the weapon and model, but I find that it's cheaper just putting a magnet on the model. It would really add up if you place a magnet on each weapon/option.

3) A pin vice or a Dremel tool. You might be able to do it with a normal hobby knife if you're careful.

How to convert it:

1) Drill or cut a small hole on the model where you want the weapon to connect. Make sure that the hole is barely big enough and deep enough to fit the magnet inside. If you make the hole too big it will not look well, but you could just greenstuff it after you‘re done.

2) Glue the magnet inside the crater you just made.

3) Drill or cut into the weapon where you want it to connect to the model.

4) Glue a small piece of metal into the hole.

5) Let the model and weapon dry before you connect them. If you don't let them dry the metal will simply fly out of the weapon and stick to the magnet.

Special note:

I had some fun with my Crisis Suits. I magnetized the weapons, arms, legs, and head making it fully possible. It makes for some funny conversations.
                                         W/L/D  (as of 3/10/06)
Lia-Isha Exodite World:    0/8/0
Harlequin Troupe:            3/38/0
Tau:                                 0/1/0
Pirate Fleet Isha:            0/0/1
Dark Eldar Kabal:            (Coming soon)
Wych Cult:                     (Coming Soon)

"Feeling lonely and content at the same time,
I believe, is a rare kind of happiness"

Offline W. Gregory Klett

• The Dead don't walk with no kneecaps!
« Reply #5 on: May 1, 2006, 01:04:19 AM »
I have found that using rubberized sheet magnets, like those that take out places put calendars or menus on works great for most plastic attachments.

I did find that using magnets with larger metal objects, Crisis Commander and XV88 weapons, I get the best results using magnets on both sides. At least here in the US they are cheap enough that for the few models needing this it is easily affordable, just $0.12-0.20 each magnet. Becareful!! Make sure the polarity matches properly or you will be in for a messy job fixing things... trust me... :)

Offline P0L1C4J

• Remember, kids: Paranoia Saves Lives!
« Reply #6 on: May 1, 2006, 04:36:03 AM »
another german site to check out:
www.supermagnete.de
Wanna know how to keep an idiot busy for hours?  Click here!

Quote from: Archon_Yggdrisil
Romance applies to chivalry, but chivalry does not apply to romance. It's like a sandwich. You need cheese to make a sandwich, but you don't need a sandwich to make cheese.

Now I'm hungry.

Offline Jonik

• Field Marshal
  • Ancient
« Reply #7 on: May 1, 2006, 10:18:10 AM »
I use powermagnetstore over ebay.
Tolaren 23rd Grenadiers - Jonik's Imperial Guard 'Tale'
Chariots of the Dead - Jonik's Tomb Kings 'Tale'

My BfSP Dwarfs in exchange for your BfSP Goblins! PM me! I'm still looking!

Offline Rick

• meh
    • some of my mini's
« Reply #8 on: May 1, 2006, 02:31:46 PM »
I'm not sure if this is the right place to put this, but oh well.  Can you guys give me some tips on using magnets in my models, like making it to where i could switch between an Ion Cannon and a Railgun on a Tau Hammerhead, or a flamer and a plasma rifle on an XV8? Where should I get the magnets?  How should I attach them? Etc. Thanks; just general tips would be appreciated.

This tread may also be of help:

http://www.40konline.com/index.php?topic=112856.0

Offline small_furry_spider

• Council Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • www.small.furryspider.com
« Reply #9 on: May 6, 2006, 07:49:11 PM »
Rather than start a new topic i might aswell post here, does anyone know of any UK suppliers of rare earth magnets?

Greenstuff

I get all of mine from Maplin (www.maplin.co.uk but they also have quite a few stores). They have a range of different sizes. I personally use the circular 3mm diameter, 2mm thick ones.

Offline darthplagis

• Time to crack out the bongos.
« Reply #10 on: May 6, 2006, 09:33:49 PM »
you dont need magnets for the hammerhead just dont attach the gun/s to the turret.

all i did was build up the turret as usual but filled the cavity of the guns with either blu tac or blister foam, a little bit of plasticard or thin spue shaving was needed on the inside of the gun cavity to keep it in a true held position but its not really needed.

now just paint guns up and ard coat the bottom of the gun(around the cavity) and the turret mount so you dont chip off the paint and bingo swappable guns.

magnets however would be good for the missile pods/burst cannons. but you can use a simple rod through the gun for those too.

Offline Lorizael

• GW Shill: Infinity Circuit: Synergistic Spotter of Numpties
  • Ancient
« Reply #11 on: May 7, 2006, 01:19:00 PM »
I've magnatised the weqapons on my crisis suits also. Took me no time at all to magnetise arms and shoulders and two of each weapon plus a shield.
I used 4mm rare earth magnets.

1. used a craft knife to enlarge the hole in the arm into a circle, then glued the magnet in. The existing slot is already deep enough for a magnet so that was easy.

2. cut the tab from the weapon, drill a hole into the weapon where the tab was and then enlarge to the right size with a craft knife. Glue in the magnet.

notes: make sure you put the magnets in the right way so they attract and not repel eachother. Make sure the glue is dry before trying thout otherwise the mnagnets will just rip out.