News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Lizardmen Unit Rundown  (Read 8345 times)

Offline slannm

Lizardmen Unit Rundown
« on: December 18, 2005, 11:35:19 PM »
Begginer's guide to lizardmen

Overview: Lizardmen are perhaps the most well balanced army in warhammer, people often complain that there is no real way to effectively combat a lizardmen army.

Lords:

Slann Mage - Perhaps the most powerful non-special character mage in the game. At an expensive base cost, a slann is a serious investment, losing him will cost you a game. On the upside, with the right spells, and his high leadership a slann can definately sway the odds in your favor.

Slann come in 4 different generations, upgrading costs points, but you gain some good abilities (and the abilities of lower generation slann). Higher generations also gain more wounds and eventually take up an extra hero and rare slot.

5th gen - Basic slann, most players agree that the 4th gen is a better buy for a small point cost
4th gen - This guy no longer has to  worry about mistcasts. If you don't want to blow the bank on slots and points, go for a 4th gen.
3rd gen - Possibly the most underused gen in the game. For the amount of points he costs you might as well spring for a 2nd. The drain magic spell is a nice bonus, but not worth the increased cost.
2nd gen - This guy rules the magic phase, he gets free power dice when casting, and has two more wounds than a normal slann. Be careful, losing him means the best you can get out of a game is a draw.

Oldblood - I don't have much experience with this guy, but his stats alone show why opposing generals wet their pants when he is on the field. With the combat powers of a chaos lord, he can chew through most troops, and mounted on a carnosaur he can threaten a flank. Give him the mark of sotek at the very least, don't be afraid to pimp him out.

Heros:

Scar-vet - An excellent choice in large and small games. A useful tactic is a Jsod, (Jaguar saurus of doom) giving him the pendant of the jaguar warrior, great weapon, mark of sotek, and sending him after war machine crews and flanks of armoured units. Otherwise he makes an excellent general for small games.

Skink Priest - Every competitive list should include a few of these little guys. They have access to the lore of heavens (quite possibly the best lore available), make good scroll caddies, and can generate power dice for your slann. Always pay for a level 2, scouting with him results in headaches for opponents, but puts him at more risk

Skink Chief - They have some cool models... and thats about it. Unless you are running a southlands list you should probably invest in another units of skinks instead. If you insist on taking one then give him the cloak of feathers and turn him into a Fsod (flying skink of doom), and use him in the same manner as a Jsod.

Core:

Saurus Warriors - These guys are rock solid, if pricey. They have the stats to stand up to chaos warriors, and with their cold blooded bonus they are almost unbreakable. I don't advise spears on these guys, no reason to make these guys more expensive and lower ther armour save at the same time. Saurus are good in many small units of 10-12, or a few blocks of 16-20. Spring for a standard and musician on larger units, use small units as flankers to make up for the lack of ranks.

Skinks - Lizardmen generals swaek by these little guys. Possibly the best skirmishers in the game, they have two basic purposes, scouts and shields. Take small units of scouting skinks with blowpipes, target units with hight To and low armour and proceed to pepper them to death. Opponents will sometimes divert stronger units to hunt down these cheap scouts, slowing down their advance. Scouts are also useful as lone mage and warmachine hunters. Skinks with Javs/shields are excellent for screening saurus and korxigors from missile fire. All in all, remember to keep these guys cheap and mobile.

Temple Gaurd - Only available if a slann is present, and they must join the slann. They have halberds, which are worthless, just use the HW/shield combo to give them a 3+ save. I reccomend unit sizes of 16-20, with the slann's added unit strength they are unlikely to break from fear casuing units. Make sure to screen them, nothings worth than losing expensive models to enemy shooting.

Jungle Swarms - Unbreakable, lots of wounds and poisened attacks. Use units of 2-3 to gaurd a flank if you are playing a defensive army, but considering that a single swar costs the same as a unit of 10 skinks, take the decision to take these guys with a lot of thought.

Special:

Marked Saurus - Giving saurus marks makes a good unit into a great one. The most popular ones are tepok, sotek, tlazcotl, and quetzl. Depending on who you are likely to be facing, these marks can more than pay for themselves in terms of usefulness. Using the mark of tlazcotl on a saurus unit can make a cheap temple gaurd alternative. Double marking your saurus units may be tempting, but it makes them way too expensive.

Cold One Riders - The only calvary lizardmen get, they hit hard, have a lot of attacks and cause fear. Use a unit 6-8 strong as a sledgehammer. I would reccomend using 2 units of cold ones, it makes the opponent divide his shooting. The downside is their price and armour save.

Chameleon Skinks - With a higher BS, chams are far more likely to hit with mutliple shot blowpipes. Unfortunately they cost a lot, even a minimum size unit will cost 75 points, and they still have the low To that plagues skinks.

Kroxigors - Provide great weapons, an excellent weapon for flanking units and auto-destroying chariots. Make sure to screen these guys, and don't send them against large units alone, even with fear they might run away. Upgrading to a champion is fine if you have some points to burn, but I would reccomend sqeezing in an extra kroxigor for a stronger 4 man (lizard?) unit.

Terredons - These guys look cool and function as mage and warmachine hunters. With their hit and run rule, they can charge scary units and get away before the fighting gets too tough. Another good idea is to charge the flanks of enemy ranged units like handgunners, preventing them from tageting your other units. Don't spend the points on a champion, it gives the opponent opprotunity to challenge the champ and face  less attacks.

Rare:
Stegadon - Not such a great buy, the bolt thrower is unlikely to hit, and the steg's low leadership makes it vulnerable despite cold blooded. I like the model though, and terror is never a bad thing, a steg should be reserved for low Ld enemies like skaven to be effective.

Sallies - Walking warmachines that cause fear and pack a punch in close combat. Use units of 3, they are great against large blocks of weak troops. People frown against multiple units of these guys, they are THAT good!

Update for more magic items comming soon!
Only idiots buy direct from GW, and then they usually turn around and complain about prices.

Offline Chuckles, The Space Marine Clown

• Can't Touch This; Captain; Swarmlord - Tyranid Sweatshop Operator; 40KO's Official WMD; "No American orphans, please"
  • Ancient
  • I kill, maim and torture because I care
Re: Lizardmen Unit Rundown
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2006, 12:08:26 PM »
Bear in mind that Saurus can also be a Rare choice if given two spawnings.

Otherwise great job!
The forum rules are fair and just. *twitch*

Offline Grand Master Michael

• Enemies of the Dark Gods... YOU GO SQUISH NOW!
« Reply #2 on: January 4, 2007, 01:55:28 AM »
Very good. Im concidering a full Saurus list... but you'll see in the forums for any developements...
Shoot first, Ask questions Later.
I are Pant
Never shake hands with a dreadnought
Who said world domination couldnt be jazzed up with some nice photos of Stevie Wonder?

Daemonhunters: 9:6:3
Lizardmen:13:3:4
Eldar: 9:2:4

Offline Bouargh

• Ancient
  • houba houba
    • Albums
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2007, 04:07:59 AM »
Alternative lists can be found here:

Lizardmen Sacred Hosts, a WD published saurus list

Red Host of Tehenauin, the Lizzie list from Lustria campaign book
Current FB armies: HE, Empire, Kislev allieds, Night gobbos, Chaos (Mortal, Beasts), Ogre kingdoms, Dogs of war, Dwarves

Feel free to visit my albums !

Offline Imperialis Mortis

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2007, 09:25:43 PM »
I noticed a few things that were overlooked here, so as a longtime lizzie player I'd just like to add a few comments.

Skink chiefs, alot of people argue they arn't worth thier points, in fact it's quite the opposite. Given the Staff of the lost sun and scout, he can help take out units/magi/warmachines, and other things, even expensive characters. Also the dagger of sotek(with the matching spawning of course) is a great choice, who expects a skink to have killing blow and cause fear(only in skaven of course)? Not many thats for sure. Also hes one of only two heros that can mount on a stegadon, this is where he can really shine. Give him the stegadon helm and let that giant horned dino go rampaging all over the place(with a much improved ld mind you)!

Also...

Oldbloods are awesome. These guys can take more sacred spawning choices than anything else, so go nuts on 'em. Giving one a spawning of Sotek, Itzl(for the carnosaur), and Chotec is an evil idea. The sheer thought of having 7 WS 6 attacks in a single round is mind boggling. Add in a few magical items on top of that, like the Scimitar of the sun resplendent and the maiming sheild, and thats boosted to a whopping 10 attacks from your oldblood alone! Nobody wants that on thier flank, regardless of what army you're playing against, that hurts....alot.

And lastly...

The infamous double marked saurus unit. These guys are all about picking the right combination of marks. For example, a lethal combination to try would be Quetzl and Tlazcotl, being both immune to psych and getting +1 to thier scaly save is rather handy. Given shields this unit is a mainstay, at a size of 25 they'll out power their Temple gaurd brothers and be 75 points cheaper too! Another combination, although rather rare(i've only ever seen it used twice) in my own experience is Haunchi and Chotec. Amazingly this unit will ambush and overtake anyone or anything on a jungle/woods/forest board. The key to using this unit is surprise, when those annoying wood elves think they're safe behind the woods they just moved, you run through and hack them to itty bitty bits. Not only that, but those nasty cavalry units are not a problem anymore, with an extra pursuit die you'll catch and over run them most of the time. Truly these units are to be feared, also if anyone wants to try them these arn't the only interesting combinations that are worthwhile. One general rule of thumb though, make the unit big, it's better to go overboard on these guys then not pay enough and lose them all before they can shine.

A final note...as with all armies lizardmen are not perfect and have thier weakness' mainly it's in the ld department for their specialized units. So please, remember to keep that general close enough to be of use. Also think about trying a sacred host, getting a double marked saurus unit for a special choice is a steal, and with the new magic lores out there, it's a good idea to give it a go for those skink preists as well.
do svidaniya duraki...
teper', tolchok nebol'shaya sin'aya knopka!
no oni ves' sinij cvet!
der'mo... : \

Offline Bouargh

• Ancient
  • houba houba
    • Albums
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2009, 01:07:36 PM »
This arised as contribution ot a general question  about armies pro and cons.

I add it there as it deserves to be shared I'm sure.

Enjoy.

It would appear that the gauntlet has been thrown down, so I shall opine on Lizardmen now, in order to respond to Khemri.

Lizardmen are broadly similar to Warriors of Chaos in terms of feel, but with a slightly different focus. Lizardmen are, for the most part, an army which gets most of its jollies out of close combat and magic rather than ranged attacks. That said, they do have the ability to take a decent amount of shooting if you really want to build an army like that. However, that kind of list is made up almost entirely of Skinks, which you've expressed a disliking to.

The three most distinctive things about the Lizardmen list are the Saurus Warriors that make up the backbone of your army, the Slann Mage-Priests who can provide the magical punch, and the giant dinosaurs your army has access to.

For your Core choices, you've got a decent range of options. If you want to spend the absolute minimum necessary to take a legal army, a few units of skinks at the minimal size will set you back 150 points, giving you plenty of points to mess around with all the shinier stuff. However, if you're liking is more for Saurus Warriors then a couple of good sized units armed with Spears and full command are a perfectly decent investment. Saurus Warriors are rather like a toned down version of Chaos Warriors. Their armour isn't quite as good and their WS isn't quite as good, but they cost 25% less at worst, and they have the Cold Blooded Special Rule which you will learn to love.

I do think that Skinks of some kind are an excellent thing to have in a Lizardmen army. Ranked up Skinks have their uses due to their high speed, allowing them to mess around with your enemy (especially good if facing someone with Frenzy, as you can lead their giant crazies around the board very easily), but the real golden children are the Skink Skirmishers. As Skirmishers they are surprisingly difficult to get rid of, especially with their high speed, and they make brilliant screening units. I suggest taking at least 2 personally, but that's a matter of preference.

In the Special section you have some of the really neat sections of the army list. First up are Chameleon Skinks, another handy little unit for disrupting the enemy. Next up are Terradon Riders. Their best use is march blocking and messing with enemy artillery (by dropping rocks on them for preference, just because it's funny). Then we get to the real meat and potatoes. Temple Guard are a straight up awesome unit, no questions asked. Their Armour Save is solid, they have a buttload of attacks, with halberds which make them S5, and they can take magic standards to make things even more hilarious. After Temple Guard come another of the more well-known Lizardmen units, Cold One Cavalry. The jury for me is frankly still out on these guys. They are astonishingly expensive and only S5 on the charge with a less than stellar WS for an elite unit, but here's the good news: they cause fear, their mounts are extremely dangerous when compared to those of other races, and they are good heavy cavalry in general. They are unusual for cavalry in that they are actually pretty solid in subsequent rounds of combat, where most cavalry units rely on having the charge to really demolish the enemy. Cold One Cavalry don't work in quite the same way.

Kroxigor are handy, but best taken in units of ranked up Skinks to provide some ablative armour and a rank bonus when in close combat. Finally there's the Stegadon, which is quite simply a kick-ass terror-causing monster/chariot/gun mount/thing.

The Rare section has two things: Razordons/Salamanders (the two fulfill a very similar role) and Ancient Stegadons. These are all fairly straightforward. Razormanders provide decent ranged support for your army, while Ancient Stegadons are bigger, tougher and meaner versions of the standard Stegadon.

Lizardmen characters are an interesting punch. First the Lords. You've got two choices here, Saurus Oldblood or Slann Mage Priest. A Saurus Oldblood is essentially a big fighty beatstick. Hard as nails, has access to some extremely shiny weaponry and tricks, and can ride on what has got to be the coolest mount in the game; a Carnosaur, which is basically a T Rex. The Slann Mage Priest is probably the most famous thing in the Lizardmen army list, and with good reason. While not a combat monster, their schtick is magical supremacy, and they've got it down pretty good over the years. While they've lost a little of their power from previous editions, they are still very probably the best spellcasters in Fantasy.
Current FB armies: HE, Empire, Kislev allieds, Night gobbos, Chaos (Mortal, Beasts), Ogre kingdoms, Dogs of war, Dwarves

Feel free to visit my albums !

Offline cadians:)

• Necrontyr Warrior
« Reply #6 on: October 2, 2009, 09:56:05 AM »
Are skinks only lists any decent? That sounds pretty fun to play.

Offline Chuckles, The Space Marine Clown

• Can't Touch This; Captain; Swarmlord - Tyranid Sweatshop Operator; 40KO's Official WMD; "No American orphans, please"
  • Ancient
  • I kill, maim and torture because I care
« Reply #7 on: October 2, 2009, 11:56:51 AM »
Skink only lists can be competitive, for a given value of "Skinks". Skinks themselves lack the kind of punch required to defeat seriously hardened enemies, but if you allow yourself to take Kroxigors, Stegadons and maybe some Terradons to mess with the enemy's manoeuvrability, then yes they can be highly effective.
The forum rules are fair and just. *twitch*