News:

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 2000pts of Mechanised Imperial Guard: Re-vamped. Please review  (Read 1229 times)

Offline Goyder

• Workshy Lord Moddissar General, The King of Tanks
  • Ancient
  • Australian
I've taken people advice, and I've changed my list.

Colonel "Tread Heads" Goyder's 240th Paylothion mechanised

Doctrines
1) Mechanised
2) Consripts
3) Close Order Drill
4) Veterans

Command Platoon
Colonel "Tread Heads" Goyder (Snr. Officer)
- Bolt Pistol
- Power Weapon

2 x Guardsmen
- 2 Plasma Guns

2 x Veterans
-1 Medic
-1 Company Standard

Chimera
-Multi-laser, Heavy Bolter

Elites
10 x Hardened Veterans
-3 Plasma guns
-Power weapon

Chimera
-Multi-Laser, Heavy Bolter

Troops
Infantry Platoon "Beta Company"

Command Squad Ia
-Junior Officer
-Laspistol
-Power Fist

4 x Guardsmen
-4 Plasma Guns

Chimera
- Multi Laser, Heavy Bolter

Infantry Squad Ib
10x Gaurdsmen
- Flamer
- Lascannon

Chimera

Infantry Squad Ic
10x Gaurdsmen
- Flamer
-Lascannon

Chimera

Infantry Platoon "Easy Company"
Command Squad IIa
-Junior Officer
-Laspistol
-Powerweapon

-4 x Guardsmen
-4 Plasma Guns

Chimera

Infantry Squad IIb
10x Gaurdsmen
- Grenade Launcher
-Lascannon

Chimera

Infantry Squad IIc
10x Gaurdsmen
- Grenade Launcher
-Lascannon

Chimera

Heavy Support
Leman Russ Battle Tank
- 3 x Heavy Bolters

Leman Russ Demolisher
-2 x Multi-Melta's
-1 x Lascannon

Leman Russ Demolisher
- 2 x Plasma Cannons
- 1 x Lascannon

What do you think now? There's a MilSims sale this weekend, so im thinking about getting all the Chimera's I need :3.

Thanks guys!
Real men fight in Tanks!

Offline Insidious Heresy

• General, Hero of Medusa V
  • Lazerous Penguin
Re: 2000pts of Mechanised Imperial Guard: Re-vamped. Please review
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2005, 03:35:55 PM »
Why flamers and lascannons in the infantry squads?  The best equipment you can give a mechanized infantry squad is a plasmagun and a lascannon, no exceptions really.

If you want the flamers then group them together into one or two of your HQ units and use them as a dedicated counter-assault unit for when the enemy gets to close, that way you can keep them hidden until they are needed and the rush them out to gut any would-be assault units.

The veterans seem like a point sink, they arn't getting you any more survivability than a regular infantry squad for a lot more points, and their role would seemingly already be filled by the HQ units.  Get yourself another infantry squad for the extra lascannon and save yourself some points.

Wouldn't plasam cannon sonsons be a better option then the multi-meltas on the demolisher.  Cheaper and longer-ranged, most opponents shouldn't let it get within range to use those meltas anyways

Offline kuchervano

• Lieutenant
  • MouldLine nazi
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2005, 05:07:02 PM »
Id put heavy flamer sponsons on the multimelta demolisher instead.  Cheaper and about as nasty.
Instead of hardened vets id take stormies, yes you lose out on one pgun but gain better chance at survivability instead.
Pair up lascannons and plasma guns in your inf squads, and give them grenade launchers and flamers to your command squads instead.
Whats MilSims?

Offline Goyder

• Workshy Lord Moddissar General, The King of Tanks
  • Ancient
  • Australian
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2005, 07:53:05 PM »
Why flamers and lascannons in the infantry squads?  The best equipment you can give a mechanized infantry squad is a plasmagun and a lascannon, no exceptions really.
Thats a mistake on my half, they are supposed to be Grenade Launchers. I fiquired I have enough Plasma Guns in more mobile sqauds, so they can move around to where they are needed, and deliver the hammer blow. I was also getting straped for points at this point, my list clocking in at 1991 pts. So, i could probably change a few around...

Wouldn't plasam cannon sonsons be a better option then the multi-meltas on the demolisher.  Cheaper and longer-ranged, most opponents shouldn't let it get within range to use those meltas anyways

I've allways found them usefull, and it makes the enemy go "Should i knock off his big cannon, or those damned melta's?" Either way, its become a dedicated anti-tank vechile, and it should be able to perform its duties to its very last gun.

Id put heavy flamer sponsons on the multimelta demolisher instead.  Cheaper and about as nasty.
As I said above, its my dedicated anti-tank. I dont have to much faith in single BS3 Lascannons in squads. In fact, im loathe to do it, but its kind of essential.

Instead of hardened vets id take stormies, yes you lose out on one pgun but gain better chance at survivability instead.
Thats true, i may end up doing that in the end, but I was thinking of doing some nice converting. You're right though, they do live longer.

Pair up lascannons and plasma guns in your inf squads, and give them grenade launchers and flamers to your command squads instead.
Whats MilSims?

I would normally, but becuase the damned squads have lascannons in them, If im shooting at tanks, im wasting shots (even if the plasma gun has a chance of damaging said tank). I would have mobile command squads running around in chimera's, delivering the fatal blow where needed. I'm goign to see if i can squeze in more plasma-weaponary into my squads, so, we'll just wait and see!

MilSims is an online Australian store, which generally gets you some pretty good deals when they have sales on. Which, is pretty damned lucky.

http://www.milsims.com.au/

You're going to have to join up to get the sale however, 20% of GW stuff, and cheap everything else!
Real men fight in Tanks!

Offline Mork Incarnate

• "I'm kind of a big deal"
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2005, 12:28:31 AM »
Hi there,  First off I'd like to say I like your list.  It looks alot like my mechanized list for 2000pts.  I have a few suggestions,  first, you can never have enough plasma tech stuff,  I'd replace those gernade launchers for plasma guns,  i don't see why you stuck GLs with LCs anyways.  Second, i would scrap the veterans in favor for 2 X 5 man storm trooper squads with 2 meltas in each and deep strike them in.  I found this to be a great way to make the  heavy support section a little less anti-tank. 

Third,  I would some how fit a basilisk in there,  not cuz its scary,  but cuz it makes people do the stuipidest things (ex: oh no the mighty basilisk lets throw everything on that side of the field to try and get into it's minimum range asap).

As for your infantry squads,  you are planning on not deploying in your chimeras at the start so you can create an anti-tank fire base right?  leave the chimera's transport ability to the command squads with plasmas.  Is your officer a senior officer or an HSO?  if he's just a senior, I'd go the extra mile for the extra LD.  you really lack in the LD area cuz all your commands are suicidal plasma squads for fighting.  I would sneak some vet sergeants into your infantry squads and utilize close order as much as possible.  I know this makes you vulnerable to blast weapons, but thats why I said as much as possible and not all the time.  I've found that chem inhalers are great for mech armies, keeps men on the table and commands are free to fight instead of leading.

Hope this helps out,  hope you decide to buy those chimeras,  mechanized IG is one of the funnest armies i've ever played.