News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 1850 ITC Tournament Coverage (Harlequins Vs the World)  (Read 3223 times)

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
1850 ITC Tournament Coverage (Harlequins Vs the World)
« on: March 26, 2017, 02:41:37 PM »
Yesterday I went down with my wargaming club to Hamilton, for a three round 20 person 1850pt tournament. As I’m trying to go for best Harlequin in the ITC, I adapted my normal Harlequins list to fit into the Ynnari Reborn Warhost.

For those who don’t know the Ynnari have a few benefits (which are amazing on their own), but the biggest thing is Soul Burst, where whenever a unit dies, a unit I have within 7” can immediately make an activation (move, shoot, run, turboboost or charge). Because of my formation, I can activate two units for every dead unit. The rule is crazy unbalanced and makes running non-Ynnari Eldar/Dark Eldar/Harlequins pointless competitively.
My list

Ynnari Reborn Warhost 1850pts
Ssylth
Windrider Jetbikes x3 scatter laser
Harlequin Troupe x5
Ceorgorach’s Revenge
X3 Shadowseers
X2 Death Jesters
Inram’s Spectre
Troupe x8 w/Starweaver (troupe master is warlord, all death jesters and shadowseers join this unit).
Troupe x5 w/Starweaver
Troupe x5 w/Starweaver
Blades of Fate
X3 Skyweavers
Voidweaver

Game 1 was against a guy from my club I drove down with, he was running Chaos Space Marines, with Allied Chaos Daemons

Rehati War Sekt
Magnus The Nipple Horns
X3 Tzeentch Daemon Princes with spell familiar, wings Ml3
Chaos Daemons Allied Detachment
Kairos Fateweaver
10 Brimestone Horrors.

Mission was ITC Emperors will. Two Objectives in our deployment zones (emperors will), with two more objectives in no-mans land for Maelstrom.

I played against a similar army before. I know he’d be hard pressed to table me, and I could easily win Maelstrom. Primary would be harder.
I had no real way of dealing with the flying monstrous creatures, without snapfiring and hoping ones fails a grounding test.
I had first turn, my opponent castled in the far left corner, while I spread out along the middle.

First few turns
I started off well, placing two wounds on Magnus with Shuirken Cannons, but after that I didn’t do any more damage to his army. He summoned Exalted Flamers to try and get maelstrom points, but I killerd them as soon as they arrived. By t3, I had been getting 2pts a turn, and my opponent had only a handful of points.

Last few turns
He spreads his princes out to capture emperors will. I had only my ‘death star’, Solitare, Sslyth and a few random harlequins running around. Magnus drops to the ground (not sure why), and I charge him with my Deathstar and after a few rounds of combat I failed to kill him (tough guy!). I failed a critical hit and run T5 which cost me from contesting emperors will.

Game ends with my opponent claiming primary and Big Game Hunter and LineBreaker, while I Had Secondary for a 10-8 Loss.
Then we all had some Pizza! Yum!
Game 2

This mission was ITC Relic. Relic in the Middle, with an objective for maelstrom in each of our deployment zones.
Imperial Fists Sternhammer Strike Force
Battle Demi Company
Captain on bike with Primarch Wrath
3 Attack Bikes
10 man tactical sqad with grav+Gravcannon in pod
5 man squad with melta+combi-melta in pod
5 man squad in Razorback
Dreadnought in Lucius pattern drop pod
Devistator Centurions with x2 heavybolters x1 lascannon
Skyhammer Annihilation Force.
X2 5 man assault squad
X2 five man devastator squads in Drop Pods (one with 4 heavy bolters, one with 4 multi-meltas
Inquisitor detachment
Coteaz
Xenos Inquisitor with x3 servo skulls and ML1

In this game I had the second turn. I was worried about his pods coming in and shooting me up, so I deployed the Blades of Fate, Deathstar with all the characters, 5 man Troupe and Solitare. The Rest I kept in reserve. My opponent deployed inquisitors in the centurions on his objective in a ruin, captain with the attack bikes and razorback in the middle.
T1
He went first, bringing in the Grav and Dread pods. His centurions were out of LoS of my force. His bikes and razorback moved forwards. Dread killed a death Jester in his shooting phase, so with the soulburst, I charged one of his 5 man squads with the blades of Fate and the Lucious Pattern pod with my blob. In his assault phase, the blades of fate killed their target, and the pod died too.

In my turn, the blob took out his Dread (and soulburst back into cover), while the bikes killed the other 5 man squad from the drop pod and then soul-burst to shoot (and take a hull point off) the razorback.
 T2
His Skyhammer comes in all around my deathstar (which was invisible and had Veil off). The meltagun squad pod comes in next to the blades of Fate.

Overall, his shooting phase saw me loose 4/5 models in the objective camping troupe, while everything else more-or less failed to hurt the death star, due to failing veil tests, invis and passing saves. He did kill another Death Jester, so I soulburst the deathstar into one of the assault squads, and the Solitaire made an impressive 11” charge into the other.
Rest of his shooting was stopped, as I was now in combat lol.
In assault, the Solitare killed no marines, but suffered 2 wounds in return. The deathstar also failed to kill more than 1 marine.
all my reserves come on, except for the ssyth. I kill off both devastator squads and drop pods that came in. Solitare continues doing nothing, troupe wins combat and bounces toward his lord.

T3-4
The game ended due to time, but I started to then spread out the table killing off the rest of his force. At the end of turn 4, I had control of the relic, and all my opponent had left on the table was the centurions (who I never really bothered to deal with).
I had primary and Secondary and all 3 tertiary objectives, while my opponent had one tertiary
19-1  win for the Harlequins.

Game 3

I looked at my Round 3 opponents army, and figured that it would be a quick win for my opponent.
Tau Empire
Combined Arms Detachment
Commander (all the fixings and markerlight drones)
Crisis suit team  x3 sits with marker drones
Solo naked suit
Y’vahra Riptide
Stormsurge
Skyray
Riptide Wing
X3 Riptides
Inquisitorial Detachment
Inquisitor with x3 servo skulls
Yikes. Not good.
Mission was Crusade. 4 objectives on the table (2 in no mans land, 2 in deployment zones).
I kept nothing in reserve (yolo) My opponent set up clustered in the middle.
T1
I had the first turn. I moved everything up. Voidweaver up front to activate soulburst if it died. Transports and solitare on my right, Bikes on my left, Ssyth behind a wall on my objective.
I had sporadic shooting at one of his tides, take down a couple of wounds with rends. Then the best thing happened. Death Jesters shoot at the Drone crisis squad, persision shot out a marker drone and then the squad failed it’s ‘Death is Not Enough’ Test and ran off the table. Holy amphetamine parrot warlord and all his markerlights gone on T1.
I turbo-boosted the blades of fate into his deployment zone for Maelstrom and as a distraction.

My opponent Flew the Y’Vahra up next to my line of transports (uh oh) while the riptides dug in to ripple fire.
My deathstar was hidden with Viel, so he started with the Y’Vahra. It shot at three starweavers Wrecked two of them and killed a couple of harlequins in each squad. I then soul-burst charged the Y’vahra with the Solitare and the disembarked troupe. The riptides the Windriders and the Voidweaver, which let me get some extra soulburst shots and a turboboost into his deployment zone.

Stormsurge charged the blades of fate, who slipped through it’s grasp and hit and run away.
T2
I charged all three of his Riptides. Solitare and Troupe into one, and a jetbikes squad and 3 man troupe into the other 2. Solitare and friends kill their riptide and then soulburst into the other two.

At this point, he is forced to bring the stormsurge into combat and a slug match begins. His nova-charges power up his saves, so I find it very hard to damage him. Deathstart make it in T3 and I chew through the riptides and stormsurge over the next two turns. My opponent calls the game T4
19-0 Win for Harlequins!

At the end of the day, I place 3rd best overall (behind Ynnari Craftworld and D-99 Flierspam), which was a fantastic scoring considering how great the competition was.

I checked my ITC ranking afterwards, and I am currently the #2 ranked Harlequin player globally on the ITC and #1 in Canada, which I am surprised, and very happy about.

With my winnings, I picked up a second Windrider squad to take over as my second compulsory troops slot.

Here are some pictures of some of the other armies which were there.

Here are the Final Rankings, if anyone is curious about which armies were there, and how they placed.
Black Knight Games March ITC tournament - Best Coast Pairings

« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 09:26:53 PM by Killersquid »
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Once held an Utter Fear of Tiny Diamonds
  • Armies: I 'play' Eldar. Or at least horde unpainted models
Re: 1850 ITC Tournament Coverage (Harlequins Vs the World)
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2017, 06:08:06 AM »
Great result KS. Especially impressive that you pulled it off with Harlequins (although Soulburst really seems to have given them a big boost to effectiveness).

Also, I know I've said it before, but your army looks fantastic.
WD127 - Started a Love Affair my Wallet Just Can't Cope With...

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2017, 07:14:25 AM »
Wow! KS delivering the Kiss of Death! Damn man.... what an impressive run. Can't believe how you dismantled those Tau... that was a thing of absolute beauty. Soulburst is just what the doctor ordered for Harlequins... I'm super impressed by how you handled these dudes. Very well played...

Its funny because I recognize a number of these armies from Skari's channel (including Skari's army of course).

Wow absoltuely awesome job KS, so stoked for you. Can't wait to see you take these guys out on tour... looking forward to hear you mentioned in the rankings of Signals from the Frontline. Keep it up!
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2017, 08:42:52 AM »
Great result KS. Especially impressive that you pulled it off with Harlequins (although Soulburst really seems to have given them a big boost to effectiveness).

Also, I know I've said it before, but your army looks fantastic.

Thanks man! I figured when I built the army I might as well go for best painted, as I wasn't going to win many games.

This weekend was a pleasant surprise. Although, soulburst is crazy good.

Wow! KS delivering the Kiss of Death! Damn man.... what an impressive run. Can't believe how you dismantled those Tau... that was a thing of absolute beauty. Soulburst is just what the doctor ordered for Harlequins... I'm super impressed by how you handled these dudes. Very well played...

Its funny because I recognize a number of these armies from Skari's channel (including Skari's army of course).

Wow absoltuely awesome job KS, so stoked for you. Can't wait to see you take these guys out on tour... looking forward to hear you mentioned in the rankings of Signals from the Frontline. Keep it up!

Thanks! I have a major ITC event I'm going to in July, and another in August I'm going to try and go to (depends on how my car is, as it's all the way in Ottawa, a 6 hour drive)

So, I'm going to keep working on my points and trying to stay on the leaderboard.

I was very lucky against the tau. Going first was a huge deal, as I could get my powers off. Charging and killing the y'vahra turn 1, along with all his marker drones was a huge deal.

I still think Tau, fliers/flying monstrous creatures spam and bike spam are my toughest matchups. Against fmc's, I have to pray I can do some wounds and have them fail a grounding test. Not a reliable stradegy.

If you're ever up in the Toronto/Barrie Ontario area you should hit skari and myself up for a game.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2017, 09:51:54 AM »
Hey bud. Yeah that "Death Is Not Enough" was incredibley sick... What a moment to remember. Actually I mean that both literally and figuratively... against Tau who are hugging their own table edge its could be a nasty little surprise.

Also if I was ever up in Toronto I'd absolutley hit you guys. Super appreciate the invite... that'd be such a fun thing to do. I may have to make that a priority one of these days. Thanks bud... really looking forward to following your ITC journey... and also seeing those Laser Bikes painted up in Harlie colors

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Grand Master Lomandalis

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
  • We were murderers first, last, and always!
  • Armies: Dark Angels, Custodes, Knights, Night Lords
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2017, 10:37:36 AM »
What am I, chopped liver?  No love for the brother in Kitchener, eh?

I see how it is!

Don't worry Cav, if you're ever passing through KW (university of Waterloo / home of blackberry) then hit me up for a game.  I've gotten a few games against KS, and Skari used to play at my LGS before he moved North.
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
Well I always liked the globals...
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...

• Ancient
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2017, 10:48:01 AM »
You live very far away! Lol. Skari is fairly close to me. But yes, gml lives in Ontario too, I guess  ;)
Harlequin Army Blog

Azore of Austria

Offline Grand Master Lomandalis

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
  • We were murderers first, last, and always!
  • Armies: Dark Angels, Custodes, Knights, Night Lords
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2017, 04:20:00 PM »
But yes, gml lives in Ontario too, I guess  ;)
You make it sound like I live in Thunder Bay or something!
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
Well I always liked the globals...
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...

Offline Aurics Pride

• Aspect Warrior
  • I tread the hidden path.....
  • Armies: Eldar, Raven Guard, Slaanesh
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2017, 04:52:58 PM »
Great job KS! I love the look of your army, interesting to see you having great success with the Harlequins, I love my Harlies but it's been so tough making them work in a competitive arena.
Will definitely have to give it a go running a Ynarri list with them.
Would be great to have more updates throughout the ITC season, good luck going for 1st place Harlie!
+++ VICTORUS AUT MORTIS +++

My Army Blog (Corsair & Raven Guard: Here

• Ancient
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2017, 08:25:02 PM »
But yes, gml lives in Ontario too, I guess  ;)
You make it sound like I live in Thunder Bay or something!

This is true, you're only about 3.5 hours from me. Not too far. I hope to see you at some events. Been a while since I played you. We need to break the tie.

Great job KS! I love the look of your army, interesting to see you having great success with the Harlequins, I love my Harlies but it's been so tough making them work in a competitive arena.
Will definitely have to give it a go running a Ynarri list with them.
Would be great to have more updates throughout the ITC season, good luck going for 1st place Harlie!

Thanks man! I will definitely keep tabs on events I go to. Going to try and go to one Tournament a month if I can.
Harlequin Army Blog

Azore of Austria

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2017, 11:26:24 PM »
Hey Killer! Those games were exciting to read. Must have been a hoot to game. Looking at your models as a show piece is one thing, seeing them in action is another. Good luck with your tournies, mate. We don't have them in our area any more. Am envious of you guys.

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2017, 06:52:23 AM »
@Grand Master Lomandalis- Hey bud! Sorry I missed this post! I'd  LOVE to throw down against you. I've got a ton of battle-bros north of the border! I know you play with a competitive crowd so I'm sure we'd have a great game. Plus I could pick you brain on playing Dark Angels which would be fantastic.

So sorry missed this bud. Trust me I'd love to hit you up for a game!