News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Broodlord psychic powers and tactics  (Read 3216 times)

Offline Halollet

• My halo grew a mullet...
  • Armies: Grey Knights, Guard, Sisters, Tau, & Tyranids
Broodlord psychic powers and tactics
« on: September 6, 2012, 10:06:47 PM »
I've been looking over and drooling about possible uses for broodlords with the new psychic powers.  However, that damn BS 0 ruins a lot of stuff.

But I should also clairify something first, can the brood lord still use beam and nova powers since they don't roll to hit?

However, there can be some good rolls if you're willing to risk it.  Like the telekinetic dome thing; nothing like overwatching bouncing back at the unit you're charging.  Or playing around with telepathy after you infiltrate perfectly.  Or that telekinetic power that lets you do a haywire hit, but more importantly the reroll of 6s which is nasty against a unit that's about to be charged by a fex.

Has anyone tried to roll new powers for their broodlords and did it work at all or was it a complete flop?

One sure mark of a fool is to dismiss anything that falls outside of his experience as being impossible.

Offline CDN

Re: Broodlord psychic powers and tactics
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2012, 02:21:29 AM »
theres one power I would use:
I would run 3 Broodlords in a 20 man unit.
Use the Telepathy Primaris Power: Psychic Shriek.
The Heroic Code:  Always excel and outdo the others and don't make your ancestors ashamed.

Offline Master Bio-Titan BT

• Armies: Chaos Marines and Tyranids
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2012, 10:10:51 PM »
I would run 3 Broodlords in a 20 man unit.

Uh!?  3 Broodlords in ONE 20 man unit!?  Was this just an error in your statement and you really meant 3 units of Genestealers with 1 Broodlord each?  If not, re-read the codex, only 1 BL per GS squad.

Just checking!

2008 CSM Poster of the Year

My CSM Conversions & Tutorials (Updated 12-22-12) 

My Tyranid Conversions & Tutorials  (Updated 12-23-12)

Offline Reepy

• Armies: Eldar, Necrons, Tyranids, Dark Angels
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2012, 04:39:29 AM »
I've had a lot of luck with the Biomancy powers. It's tough when you get a shooting power but most are blessings and a malediction.

Iron Arm makes your Broodlord a monster.
Enfeeble is a great support power and I know you rarely need to weaken what Genestealers will assault but there is always something you would like to be just a little less frightening.
There is no tyranid unit that wouldn't like some Endurance. Seriously.
Warp Speed is not great as you don't really need the Initiative bonus, but some more attacks are always welcome.

Since the Broodlord can pic two powers there is always a pretty good chance you will have something you need.

I play two squads of genestealers with broodlords and they've done great.

Offline Rangerspam

• Its pink and its oval.
  • Armies: Eldar, Chaos Marines, Vampires
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2012, 08:55:30 PM »
I would be wary of giving him powers from the book, ( I don't have a BRB at the moment so i have no idea how likely this is) but if he rolls a wicthfire power he is not allowed to use  it (due to BS 0) or re-roll the unusable power.  I just looked at the FAQ and read it, it seemed relevant to this topic.

Offline faitherun (Fay-ith-er-run)

• Armies: Pointy Ears and bugs
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2012, 12:34:35 AM »
I would be wary of giving him powers from the book, ( I don't have a BRB at the moment so i have no idea how likely this is) but if he rolls a wicthfire power he is not allowed to use  it (due to BS 0) or re-roll the unusable power.  I just looked at the FAQ and read it, it seemed relevant to this topic.

This is why I favor Biomancy as you have a fair shot at not rolling a shooting power, and even if you do, you have two powers you can roll for. Sure it'd suck getting a witchfire power, but ever run a Broodlord with Iron arm and Endurance? It is sick, let me tell you...
So, what your saying is it's not your fault you look stupid by using words you don't get?
Flawless logic.