News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: apparently, stieg larsson is popular.  (Read 1606 times)

Offline [sic] sauer

• Spamming Mon-keigh
apparently, stieg larsson is popular.
« on: February 10, 2012, 11:02:21 PM »
I don't actually care why. 

As I remember, every popular book has been low-middlebrow.  Reading aloud The Help on the patio in summertime might be fun, but when it has so few redeeming literary qualities, how can any popular book ever become classic or historically valuable?  Maybe Jonathan Safran Foer could be a footnote in some future curriculum.

I sympathize less with trade paperbacks now than mass market, because I feel like the distinction is misleading.  Three Cups of Tea had nothing to be pretentious about in the first place.  Jhumpa Lahiri is cannot entirely be blamed for the US not winning a nobel for literature when people keep buying her stuff instead of Edward P Jones'. 
Mist the florist for the bees; I am your gynentomologist, kicada killa 4 rice.

Offline Grand Master Lomandalis

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
  • We were murderers first, last, and always!
  • Armies: Dark Angels, Custodes, Knights, Night Lords
Re: apparently, stieg larsson is popular.
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2012, 12:26:17 AM »
I've read your post over 5 times now, and I am just as confused the fifth time as I was the first.  What are you trying to discuss here?
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
Well I always liked the globals...
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...

Offline WisdomLS

• Ork Yoof
  • BLOOD FOR THE ..... emperor?
  • Armies: SM (BA, BT, DA), Orks, Daemons, CSM, GK, IG
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2012, 02:44:15 AM »
I've read the millenium trilogy and liked it very much, although the first book was by far the more interesting. Perhaps if I knew more about the government structure I would have got more from the other two.

As GML said I've no clue if thats of interest to you, perhaps your just living up to your title  ;)

Offline finoro

• They couldn't hit a bull squiggoth at this range!
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2012, 10:29:40 AM »
Lets start with the basics. People like what they like. You can try and educate them so they can recognise dreadful butchery of language. You can try to make them appreciate rhyme and metre in prose. You can try.

People who are impressed by good grammer, clever structures in sentences, apposite use of metaphor and simile tend to people who get literature degrees and go on to write book reviews in newspapers. A very few will vote on who get prizes. They are a rare breed.

Everyone else prefers plot, character, snappy dialogue and humour.

People who write the kind of book that literary critics like probably are not interested in writing the kind of book I like. Actually I suspect they are incapable and just don't get plot, character etc. Its all about the style.

So far every book I have read that has won a literary prize has been dull as ditch water.  Don Delillo pointless and boring, Salman Rushdie nope not my cup of tea, James Joyce...Oh dear god! Ulysses how can anyone recommend this pile of cack. Its the favourite book of many, many English lit students and its unreadable. "A man goes for a walk. Not much happens." is its most famous review.
Who could prefer that to The Odyssey which has gods and monsters, heroes and villains, jeopardy and death, real excitement and entertainment.

[sic] sauer face facts you are one of the minority. You prefer language to story. I cant condemn you. People like what they like and you can try to educate them, you can try.
The farseers of the Eldar are rich in lore and know all the ways of skinning cats. Do not ask which way is best lest the knowledge burn your soul.

Offline Dralith

• never say dice
  • Armies: Craftworld Bionerath and Badtoof's Moonstompas
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2012, 11:33:07 PM »
how can any popular book ever become classic or historically valuable?

Heard of Dickens?
And Oromë loved the Quendi, and named them in their own tongue Eldar, the people of the stars.