News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Dog of War's Multiple Army Project (Ork, Nurgle, Eldar, Dark Eldar)  (Read 57512 times)

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Orks, Chaos Space Marines, Eldar, Dark Eldar
Re: Dog of War's Multiple Army Project (Ork, Nurgle, Eldar, Dark Eldar)
« Reply #300 on: February 24, 2018, 09:47:53 AM »
I've got a total of 31 warriors completed and four raiders, 3 with dark lances and 1 with a disintegrator.

It felt so good to get these troops out of the way, as it was just such a daunting task and I could never just pop in 30 minutes of painting.

Next on the cue, that I just couldn't wait to get started was my hq.

I started with a base of Naggaroth Night and then a heavy, unwatered wash of Druchii Violet. Then I did successive layers of Naggaroth and Xereus starting with a 3:1, to 2:1, and 1:1. I finally finished with a wetblended edge highlight of straight Xereus. The cabling I added a drybrush of Mechanicus Standard Grey and then a straight Nuln Oil wash. It was well after midnight when I finished. I was on such a roll, but I've come to a crossroads and I didn't want to proceed impulsively.

Should I go with the traditional white faceplate? Should I do the blades white as well or try and tie in the green accent of the poison weapons. Maybe blue blades?

Too many decisions. I think I'll need to sit on this for a day and see what input you guys have.

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #301 on: February 24, 2018, 01:43:31 PM »
Well Done, DoW!
IMO the white mask will balance the grey cabling and the green blades will tie it all together with the rest of your army... Be well!

Offline Aurics Pride

• Aspect Warrior
  • I tread the hidden path.....
  • Armies: Eldar, Raven Guard, Slaanesh
« Reply #302 on: February 24, 2018, 03:47:06 PM »
Great work DoW!
Also............Dra zhar! I love that model!
I definitely think you should go with the green blades for that model, I think they'll work really well.
I'm not sure on the faceplate, I think the white could well work well.
+++ VICTORUS AUT MORTIS +++

My Army Blog (Corsair & Raven Guard: Here

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #303 on: February 24, 2018, 05:48:51 PM »
Sickening! Off to a hot start. So awesome to see Drahzar in your list... he's so good!

Also yes! White faceplate all day... this is gonna look awesome.

Props on getting all 30 Warriors finished. A battalion worth of troops is always the right call to starting up an army. Great stuff DoW keep it up!
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #304 on: February 24, 2018, 11:02:10 PM »
Alrighty then, white face plate it is.

I'm having real difficulty committing to the green blades. The lhamaeans were the first to get the green blades to symbolize the poison in the shaimeshi blades. Then the warriors had the green treatment in their rifles to symbolize the splinter poison. So adding the green to the blades when they don't have any poison ability seems off. I think I might go with a white blade with the skull handles being copper. Thoughts?

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #305 on: February 24, 2018, 11:59:41 PM »
G'day, DoW!
I see what you mean by the green blades, mate, however. With such a large area as the blades being white, I think it takes away from the faceplate. Maybe tone it down with a heavily washed bone thinning out to a white razor edge.

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Once held an Utter Fear of Tiny Diamonds
  • Armies: I 'play' Eldar. Or at least horde unpainted models
« Reply #306 on: February 25, 2018, 03:15:27 AM »
I think he looks great DoW, without green blades. The purple transitions are really smooth and I like how the white pops. I really think a white blade with copper handles will look terrific. Really nice addition to the force DoW!
WD127 - Started a Love Affair my Wallet Just Can't Cope With...

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #307 on: February 25, 2018, 11:58:39 AM »
I love it! Killer job DoW... one of your best thus far even if it is a WIP. Yes I second Looshkin's advice all the way. You could even do a super light Waywatcher green glaze on the blades just to tie it in a bit... but go really light, where you wont notice it at a distance.

Love how this force is coming together bud. I wish we were local to each other... I'd love to have my Visarch and his Coiled Blade Incubi clash with your Drahzar is a bid for supremacy. Love it!

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #308 on: February 26, 2018, 10:57:57 PM »
Thanks for the recommendation guys. I decided to go with the white and copper blades. I used Celestra Grey and Dawnstone on the blades themselves and very watered down Hashut Copper washed with Nuln Oil. Tidied everything else up a bit and then covered the base with green stuff to fill in the cracks. I'm pretty happy with the paint job and I think I'll leave it as is and spend the next few days on the base.

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #309 on: February 26, 2018, 11:23:58 PM »
Very nice, DoW!
Toning down the white of the blades has worked wonders. The faceplate stands on its own and the blades look badass. To cool for school, mate... Pointy ears forever!!

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #310 on: February 27, 2018, 06:44:01 AM »
Fantastic job DoW you've really modernized a classic model with this paint scheme. Super clean and I love the colors. I think you nailed the paint job... no need to push it further. It looks great. Can't wait to see his disciples! This army is gonna be sweet. Looking forward to more...

Offline Aurics Pride

• Aspect Warrior
  • I tread the hidden path.....
  • Armies: Eldar, Raven Guard, Slaanesh
« Reply #311 on: February 27, 2018, 01:18:56 PM »
DoW that Drazhar model is looking boss!
Absolutely love the model and you've done a great job on it, hopefully he'll be just as nasty in the new codex as he is in the index!
+++ VICTORUS AUT MORTIS +++

My Army Blog (Corsair & Raven Guard: Here

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #312 on: February 27, 2018, 04:41:04 PM »
Drahzar's looking mint dude! And congrats on getting through the slog of infantry. Some people really don't mind it but I personally find it really tricky batch-painting loads of similar dudes.

Nice work :)
Check out my Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders :)

Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders!

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #313 on: April 7, 2018, 10:03:58 PM »
Thanks for the kudos guys. I've been slogging away at Drazhar's companions for a while and although they aren't 100% finished, I'll put them out there.

I have however found something I like much less than finecast and that's second hand finecast. Even after stripping, some of the models still had primer that couldn't be removed, which had totally obscured some of the runes on some of the klaives. A few of the faces also had some of their details lost and in one case an entire horn miscasted. Serves me right for being a cheap bastard and not buying these new.

Also had a chance to get some more games in, two in fact. Not only on the day of the codex drop, but also I was lucky enough to get together with our very own Killersquid. A huge shout out to him for being so patient and helpful, as I've never played a game with strategems or maelstrom before. Combine that with only having about 10 minutes to peruse the codex before playing an army I've never played before, he handled it very well. We played a 1000 point game that I was only moderately trounced by the end of turn 7. The second game we jumped it up to 1500 points and I was pretty much tabled by the end of turn 5. Killersquid broke out his Custodes, which I've also never faced before and man those guys are insane. Rarely miss a dice roll and they put out some serious punishment. Great thing is I learned a ton. I saw very quickly what doesn't work for my army and what this codex favours in terms of army builds. Killersquid also gave me some great advice on tactics and where I should look next for army building. Now it's time to get my nose back into that codex, put on some goth music, and truly try and understand these emo space elves.
« Last Edit: April 7, 2018, 10:08:52 PM by dog_of_war »

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Once held an Utter Fear of Tiny Diamonds
  • Armies: I 'play' Eldar. Or at least horde unpainted models
« Reply #314 on: April 8, 2018, 03:26:23 AM »
Those Incubii are looking great DoW...really broody and dark. I love the style.

I also feel your pain with the Failcast. It's often a pain at the best of times, but to have to strip paint off those guys too, with the fragility of the resin...well, you're a braver man than me! They look great though, so I think the trouble was worth it!

So pleased to hear you got a couple of games in against KS! That's helluva cool. I'm very jealous that you got to see his sweet Custodes army up close and personal. Even if he was using it as a beat stick against you! Really cool though and I'm glad you had a blast!
WD127 - Started a Love Affair my Wallet Just Can't Cope With...

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
« Reply #315 on: April 8, 2018, 02:09:00 PM »
Thanks again for the games bud. Your dark lance/blaster fire rolled a crazy amount of 1's and 2's, which I think worked well in my favour ha ha. Custodes are tough though, they are small in number, but very hard to shift!

Here are the pictures I took of the games. Dog of War's Dark Eldar look even better in person.

Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #316 on: April 9, 2018, 06:39:31 AM »
Wow! Thats amazing that you two were able to meet up and throw down. So damn jealous! Dang... I wish I lived near some of you guys cause I'd be hitting you up all the time for games. Amazing!

Congrats on the progress with your DE DoW. The Incubi look great even if the Finecast let you down a bit. Even with the metal models there is always some kind of weirdness.

Not a bad start for your first time with Dark Eldar. Remember they are one of the all time hardest armies to master. Be patient and let your playstyle develop and stick with what you like and you will get those wins. Anyways great stuff bud hope you enjoy the codex. Keep on rocking! Cant wait for some more hobby updates

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #317 on: April 9, 2018, 09:54:13 AM »
I really should have taken some more time with the codex and built an army list with the new points levels, rather than relying on an old list built in battlescribe. Some of these points drops are insanely good. I've retooled the list to take better advantage of of the raiding party build and with some of the lessons I learned playing Killersquid.

Patrol Detachment A (544) Obsidian Rose
Drazhar
Kabalite Warriors x4, sybarite
Kabalite Warriors x4, sybarite
Incubi x7, klaivex
Mandrakes x4, Nightfiend
Raider w/dark lance and shock prow

Patrol Detachment B (286) Obsidian Rose
Archon w/ husk blade and blast pistol
Kabalite Warriors x4 w/ x1 blaster, sybarite w/ blast pistol
Kabalite Warriors x4 w/ x1 blaster, sybarite w/ blast pistol

Patrol Detachment C (337) Obsidian Rose
Archon w/ husk blade and blast pistol
Lhamean x3
Venom w/ twin splinter rifle and splinter cannon
Kabalite Warrior x4, sybarite
Kabalite Warrior x4, sybarite
Raider w/disintegrator cannon and shock prow

Outrider detachment (332) Cult of Red Grief
Succubus w/ archite glaive and impaler
Scourges x4 w/ blasters, solarite
Scourges x4 w/ haywire blasters,solarite
Reavers x3

Raider 1 = Drazhar, 7 incubi, 1 klaivex, Archon
Raider 2 = 5 kabalite warrior w/blaster x2
Raider 3 = 5 kabalite warrior x2
Raider 4 = 5 kabalite warrior x2
Venom    = Archon, Succubus, 3 lhamaean

9 drops, 8 CP

1499 points
« Last Edit: April 9, 2018, 11:26:52 AM by dog_of_war »

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #318 on: April 9, 2018, 02:13:25 PM »
Hey DoW. The list looks really solid, my only question is... why Obsidian Rose? If you were fielding tons of Dissie Ravagers, I think Obsidian Rose would be great, but I think you'd get more mileage out of Flayed Skull or Black Heart.

In the future I'd definitley recommend picking up some Venoms to give your opponent more of a headache in terms of target priority as 4 Raiders can be picked on.

Yeah let me know your plan and I can give more feedback!

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #319 on: April 9, 2018, 05:24:21 PM »
I liked the Obsidian Rose for that extra range, especially for those splinter rifles. I really took the range conversation you had on episode 43 of Splintermind to heart and being able to stay 30 inches away from my opponent really helped those two games I've played so far. I also really liked that the double tap increases to 15 inches. The rerolls on ones was only on splinter rifles/cannons and increasing the power from pain wasn't appealing as I was keeping my force at a distance and chipped away at the enemy, so I found myself playing longer games and got to level 5 easily.

I see what you mean with the raiders and target priority, but I'm planning on keeping the court of the archon venom and incubi raider in the back field, until a unit is wounded sufficiently and the pounce to clean it up. That leaves 3 raiders of warriors and reavers to screen and kite. Scourge drop in to finish off units or go for maelstrom, mandrakes are for those backfield enemy buff characters.