News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Converting wings for Themed Tau battlesuits, Help needed  (Read 2289 times)

Offline Ninja_beaver61

• I *LOVE* Tau!
Converting wings for Themed Tau battlesuits, Help needed
« on: July 31, 2011, 09:16:55 AM »
*warning if you are vocal in your dislike of "Bronies" please don't post it, I'm not looking for a war I just want advice*

I am currently making a Tau army themed on Rarity from FIM, I have a general idea for the design of the commander (Ra'Rty) but I cant figure out how I can make wings to put on the jump pack. Basically I'm looking for a translucent but colored look.

I cant post a link but if you go on to deviant art and search "rarity wings", the second and third picture are what I'm trying to achieve.

Any help/suggestions/ideas appreciated

Offline khaine

• This happens when I am bored.
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Truly Dread
Re: Converting wings for Themed Tau battlesuits, Help needed
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2011, 11:43:38 AM »
*........... "Bronies" ..............*

................... ................... ...... Rarity .... FIM, ................... ...... (Ra'Rty) ................... ................... ..................

I cant post a link ................... ...

Any help/suggestions/ideas appreciated

Errr... Say what?

FIM? Fédération Internationale de Motocyclisme?

Links would probably be a good idea. Also more infomation on your general "design idea" would help people point you in the right direction.  :)

There's no stopping what can't be stopped, no killing what can't be killed

You can't see the eyes of the demon until him come calling.

This is dread man, truly dread.

"Childhood is when you idolize Batman. Adulthood is when you realize that the Joker makes more sense."

Offline Unlimited

• "Yeah, that's just a sideways 8."
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2011, 10:04:33 AM »
Wait a minute...this "Bronie" thing is REAL?  :o If that is the case, this is what he's looking for:

I would check out this tutorial. I used something similar on a pair of dragon wings once (nothing so manly as a pony, of course) with a few modifications. You can use ink to color the wing sections after you're done.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2011, 10:06:10 AM by Unlimited »

Offline Ghostofman

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2011, 07:44:53 PM »
I don't like Bornies... I do like technical challenges though.
If you want transparent wings... see if you can find overhead projector film. Some kinds even allow you to use your computer to print directly onto them.

Offline khaine

• This happens when I am bored.
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Truly Dread
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2011, 09:24:18 AM »
Still no idea what a Bronie is...

But we're talking semi transparent butterfly shaped wings and that I can do. Overhead projector film may be a bit flimsy but you can get clear plasti-card in different thickness that should do the job. Colouring it will be a slightly different issue...

I'd give it a shot by cutting 2 identical parts for each wing and then cutting the coloured areas you want out of 1 part. Glue them together with pva glue and then use ink washes on the cut out parts.

There's no stopping what can't be stopped, no killing what can't be killed

You can't see the eyes of the demon until him come calling.

This is dread man, truly dread.

"Childhood is when you idolize Batman. Adulthood is when you realize that the Joker makes more sense."