News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: My Aeldari and Aelf  (Read 60243 times)

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
Re: Start of my Corsair Journey.
« Reply #60 on: January 22, 2017, 07:38:06 AM »
Very cool Magenb. I like the spot colors too and the look of the wood is really good. Any consideration to making the little runes glow like Looshkin did on his big tree dude? I think that'd look great. Anyway glad to see you back on the plogs bud. Its been to dang long! Whats shaking with your Eldar. Inquiring minds want to know!
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #61 on: January 22, 2017, 03:04:10 PM »
cheer Cav. Yeah tried to get the glowing runes on the Dryad, but they are a bit too small for me, it just ends up looking like a solid colour instead of a glow. The tree-Lord's runes are much larger so I should be able to do some thing there, just using the Dryads to get a colours scheme going before I tackle that monster.

Well, not alot is happening on the Eldar front, hopefully the LGS Month long comp in Feb will change that.

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Once held an Utter Fear of Tiny Diamonds
  • Armies: I 'play' Eldar. Or at least horde unpainted models
« Reply #62 on: January 22, 2017, 03:34:05 PM »
cheer Cav. Yeah tried to get the glowing runes on the Dryad, but they are a bit too small for me, it just ends up looking like a solid colour instead of a glow. The tree-Lord's runes are much larger so I should be able to do some thing there, just using the Dryads to get a colours scheme going before I tackle that monster.

You'd be amazed at just how messy mine looked on the first iteration. Every photo I took was after a massive clean up operation!

As long as you don't get the paint in the recesses, you can slop the paint around the rune and then tidy it up carefully using Dryad Bark or whatever your base is.

But I do get that the runes on Dryads are a bit tiny when compared to the Treelord. They still look awesome either way!
WD127 - Started a Love Affair my Wallet Just Can't Cope With...

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #63 on: January 22, 2017, 05:06:04 PM »

You'd be amazed at just how messy mine looked on the first iteration. Every photo I took was after a massive clean up operation!

As long as you don't get the paint in the recesses, you can slop the paint around the rune and then tidy it up carefully using Dryad Bark or whatever your base is.

But I do get that the runes on Dryads are a bit tiny when compared to the Treelord. They still look awesome either way!

maybe I'm doing the glow differently.. I normally cover the are in a very light (almost white) metallic silver, covering a little large area, eg around the eyes, not just the eye. Then use a glaze/wash.

The problem I'm finding is the glaze/wash/ink settles too heavily in the rune, making it look like a solid colour.

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #64 on: January 23, 2017, 07:01:32 AM »
Ah, ok.

So what I do is paint the whole region to look like the wood all over the model. So, for me, that's dryad bark, followed by a heavy bulb oil wash, then a Gorthor brown dry brush.

I then usually check the rune area and apply more wash to the recess, so that's it's really dark and gives a good contrast.

I then did fine line of Loren green outside of the rune. I leave the recess alone, so that it remains a super dark woody cookout. Then highlights of I think Straken green. I then go back and tidy up with a fine detail brush and dryad bark.

Fairly simple, the only bit where you really have to be careful is no getting any paint in the recesses as this will diminish the effect massively.

Hope that helps.

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #65 on: January 30, 2017, 06:43:48 PM »
OK not great photo's I know but here we go.

Here is my creepy woods, bonus point if you can spot the creepy bits ;).
This is actually a really good kit, easy to customise and great for building up some skills with washes and dry brushing, lots of nice mix of chunky and shallow edges.

Ancient Treelord.
Another great kit for dry brushing and washes. I would take a look through the construction book first though, the kit has three different models so you could make some easy customisations.

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #66 on: January 31, 2017, 07:05:00 AM »
Sick! Great job modelling up those tress. Having done them up before I know how much of a pain they are. The paint jobs look great as well. I'm getting Legend of Zelda: Link to the Past vibes all over the place. The green is just wicked vibrant. I love it!

Great paint jobs, great modelling. Way to go Magenb, glad to see you back on the plogs!

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #67 on: January 31, 2017, 01:41:40 PM »
Cool stuff Magenb! Those trees look great and the Treelord is awesome. Those greens really pop off the screen. I mean really pop...I had to turn down the brightness so they didn't burn holes in my retinas! But in a good way! It's rare you see colours that vibrant, and the models look that much better for it. Great work!

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #68 on: January 31, 2017, 03:02:33 PM »
OK not great photo's I know but here we go.

It is a real shame about the direct lighting and the harsh shadows as for me they obscure the models too much.

Are these Games Workshop models? I think I can see faces in the trees and what looks like a hand coming out of one of them. Would these be the creepy bits?
Quote from: Starrakatt
"Russ, get your work done or you won't see your damn console for the next month!"
Quote from: Cavalier
Honestly Alienscar, we get it... you dont like painting!

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #69 on: January 31, 2017, 04:59:33 PM »

Are these Games Workshop models? I think I can see faces in the trees and what looks like a hand coming out of one of them. Would these be the creepy bits?

Yep, the Citadel Woods, so it is a single set of 3 tree's rather than the new Wyldwood which is 3 sets of 3, which I think would be too much real estate on the table, 2 so I'm aiming for 2 sets.

Yes, you get the bouns points :) Wouldn't mind doing another set but as a snapshot of the woods attacking.

« Last Edit: March 12, 2017, 12:12:42 AM by magenb »

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #70 on: March 12, 2017, 12:17:50 AM »
well LGS had a massive sale so...

TEST BUILDS :)

So, thinking of doing something like this as exodite shinning spears.

Kind of leaning toward the shurikens being on either side of the mount point (far right) as I would have to turn them into the mount point I keep them together (far left).

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #71 on: March 12, 2017, 05:32:29 AM »
Never thought of using Screamers as mounts for Exoduses. That's a really cool idea!

I think that the split catapults far right actually look way better than them being together, it just works really well.

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #72 on: March 12, 2017, 06:20:48 AM »
Haha great idea! Never seen Screamers used as exodite mounts but it looks kickass :) Especially with the Hellion/Wild Rider mashup rider.

I'll second the split catapults looking like they belong that way :)
Check out my Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders :)

Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders!

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #73 on: March 13, 2017, 04:37:55 PM »
Well got some exodite wyches/banshee's on the way, used the sisters of the Thorns hair, head bodies with some wyches legs and Hellion glaves. Just trying to come up with a colour scheme for the army now.

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #74 on: March 13, 2017, 08:30:34 PM »
Awesome! Looking forward to seeing them :) if your Screamer dude's anything to go by you've got a knack for posing :)

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #75 on: March 13, 2017, 08:49:01 PM »
I have since raised the arms up a bit and fixed the shoulder alignment. The angle is a bit off in the photo, it leans forward more and she's winding up to take a swing. The undercoat was still wet.

Taking photo's is a great way to find your mistakes lol

Have to have a show off in the squad, so got one running and holding the glave behind her :)

« Last Edit: March 13, 2017, 10:16:57 PM by magenb »

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #76 on: March 14, 2017, 05:57:47 AM »
Nice :) that works really rather well together. Excited to see the squad all together :)

I'll also second that photos really showcase the little flaws you've made :S lost count of the number of times I've taken a pic only to go back and fix something I'd missed then take another...

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #77 on: March 14, 2017, 07:46:24 AM »
Very cool Mage! Wow those bits go together perfectly. Where did you get that head? Its really cool looking... Anyway fascinated to see where this is all gonna go. Great stuff!

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #78 on: March 14, 2017, 02:00:34 PM »
That looks great magenb. Sounds as though the changes you have made will make her that much more dynamic, which is the only thing that I would want to see changed. I think it's a great piece that looks really natural. Great work!

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #79 on: March 14, 2017, 03:39:54 PM »
Very cool Mage! Wow those bits go together perfectly. Where did you get that head? Its really cool looking... Anyway fascinated to see where this is all gonna go. Great stuff!

The head and torso is from the sisters of the Thorn set. FYI the hair is a separate piece if you are looking for it in a bits store and I removed the middle part of the crown.

Post Merge: March 15, 2017, 12:59:27 AM
In the future, please use the modify button. Double posting is against the forum rules, and for that reason, the system merged your posts.

grrr sorry for blurry photo but the colour scheme is not floating my boat.

The blue was meant to be a greyish blue, but just turned into regal blue, but I'm thinking that's not going to work to well either. I'm open to suggestions at this point.

Weird lean is because its not fix to the base yet. I'm thinking I'll have it jumping off someone helmet as a node to the real banshees :)

« Last Edit: March 15, 2017, 12:59:28 AM by magenb »