News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: My 1st local tournament, need some list advice  (Read 1796 times)

Offline Gunner_Sabot_Tank

• Armies: IG, GK, Tyranids, Blood Angels
My 1st local tournament, need some list advice
« on: May 13, 2013, 11:40:14 PM »
Ok, so this Sat my lical store is hosting a 1k pt tournament and I figure I'll test my luck. Min FOC of 1 HQ 3 Elites, no Troops required but Elites still can't score. I have yet to play any games outside my group so I can't speak to the local meta. Here's what I've got:

HQ: Tyranid Prime, Rending Claws, Deathspitter, Regeneration

Elites: Hive Guard x2

Ymgarl Genestealers x8

Zoanthrope x2

Troops: Termagants x12

Tervigon, Adrenal Glands, Toxin Sacs, Catalyst, Scything Talons, Stinger Salvo

Heavy Support: Carnifex, Regeneration, Toxin Sacs, TL Devourers, Heavy Venom Cannon

Total pts: 999

The plan is to stick the Prime with the Hive Guard and keep the fex close to provide a base of fire, use the stealers to engage their backfield units or exposed flanks. I'm thinking I may roll a thrope on Biomancy but the Tervigon needs to be handing out FNP. I could drop the Prime and fex for my flyrant (w/ TL Devs and HVC) and that would give me a few pts to spend elsewhere but idk if I should. I'd appreciate any comments or suggestions. I'm a bit limited by my available models. I only have the two Hive Guards, do have a third thrope though and more stealers. I have multiple different warriors loadouts that I could use as a Prime. The fex is a magnetized one so I can play with the weapons but I only have the one set of devourers for it.
Vincere Vel Mori

Offline Crawfskeezen

• The Emperor Protects
  • Armies: Imperial Guard, Imperial Navy, Dark Angels
Re: My 1st local tournament, need some list advice
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2013, 05:09:41 PM »
Well Gunner, This list looks a might like the Nid lists I've been coming up against recently and I have a few pointers as an opponent.

Hive Guard are great... For you, because I as a Tyranid opponent HATE them. To be able to hide behind a building or piece of cover and still pop off S* shots is quite effective, and they're very resilient (except to plasma, but what isn't really?). I like your idea of using them and the Gun-fex as a base of fire as he looks mean too and looks like he's bringing a decent amount of fire to bear.

Which leads into my next point. Be careful about stranding them synapse wise, the Prime isn't the toughest (less-so than the Hive Guard but for an extra wound) and will be targeted if possible given the other more tough options in his local swarm. I understand he will be in the squad of Hive Guard but thats why I bring sniper rifles to fight Nids (and to shoot [and get rends on] MCs). And there are other ways to pick him out: blasts, barrages, etc...

You have 3 synapse (Prime, Zoanthropes and Tervigon), which is pretty decent for 1K, but other than your Tervigon, your other Synapse doesn't look too resilient and are basically targets 1, 2 and 3. That's how I'd play it anyhow. Tervigon has to go, Turn 1 if possible, I've seen these guys cause too much harm to just be let to their own devices spawning gaunts and casting Psychic powers. Then it's really a toss up between the zoans and the gunline. I'd probably go zoans cus they're more likely to be sitting NOT with a carnifex.

I'm by no means trying to tell you to augment your list due to this, just to be very aware of what someone (like myself) might try to exploit in a game and make sure it doesn't happen. It's the one BIG chink in the armour that I see. Long point, my apologies.

use the stealers to engage their backfield units or exposed flanks.

Ymgarls. Are they going to be hiding in terrain? If so good call, If not, hide them in terrain. This is a day ruiner. I just can't really counter it short of spreading all my units out across all the terrain pieces on the board so they can't deploy, which is just not feasible before turn 2.

Don't bet the farm on Regen if it comes to it, I've seen a Tyrant make 3/3 before, I've seen a Tervigon (I know hes not got Regen) fail 5/5 then die the next turn. I'm just saying it's hit and miss.

Let me say finally, that I'm not trying to disuade you here or anything Gunner, I like the look of your list, it looks like it could be punishing, I'm just trying to give you an opponents perspective at how I'd try to attack your list. I'll leave you with a link here to my BatRep Thread. Have a look. I think it could be a great help. Top Down Battle Reports
CO 46th Frostshields

"Relish The Cold, Freeze The Foe"

7th W/D/L

IG 1/0/0

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2013, 08:05:31 PM »
Which leads into my next point. Be careful about stranding them synapse wise, the Prime isn't the toughest (less-so than the Hive Guard but for an extra wound) and will be targeted if possible given the other more tough options in his local swarm. I understand he will be in the squad of Hive Guard but thats why I bring sniper rifles to fight Nids (and to shoot [and get rends on] MCs). And there are other ways to pick him out: blasts, barrages, etc...

You have 3 synapse (Prime, Zoanthropes and Tervigon), which is pretty decent for 1K, but other than your Tervigon, your other Synapse doesn't look too resilient and are basically targets 1, 2 and 3. That's how I'd play it anyhow. Tervigon has to go, Turn 1 if possible, I've seen these guys cause too much harm to just be let to their own devices spawning gaunts and casting Psychic powers. Then it's really a toss up between the zoans and the gunline. I'd probably go zoans cus they're more likely to be sitting NOT with a carnifex.

I'm by no means trying to tell you to augment your list due to this, just to be very aware of what someone (like myself) might try to exploit in a game and make sure it doesn't happen. It's the one BIG chink in the armour that I see. Long point, my apologies.

This is why I was debating if I should work in my flyrant. I like the idea of keeping the Prime with my fire base for synapse but I do realize there are inherent risks.

Ymgarls. Are they going to be hiding in terrain? If so good call, If not, hide them in terrain. This is a day ruiner. I just can't really counter it short of spreading all my units out across all the terrain pieces on the board so they can't deploy, which is just not feasible before turn 2.

They will definitely be hiding in terrain.

Don't bet the farm on Regen if it comes to it, I've seen a Tyrant make 3/3 before, I've seen a Tervigon (I know hes not got Regen) fail 5/5 then die the next turn. I'm just saying it's hit and miss.

The main reason for taking regen on the Prime is, as we've said before, he is a target and his regen option is the cheapest in the entire codex. For the cost of 2 basic termagaunts I'd like to give my warlord a slightly better chance of surviving. I'm not expecting a miracle, just better odds.
Vincere Vel Mori

Offline Crawfskeezen

• The Emperor Protects
  • Armies: Imperial Guard, Imperial Navy, Dark Angels
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2013, 09:13:55 PM »
The Prime will work great, just keep him out of the main line of fire as much as possible (which works perfectly pairing him with the Hive Guards).

Ya, sorry about point 4, I probably shouldn't have made it a main point, because regen is very useful. Just dont charge out expecting that regen will make you an invincible god is what I was trying to get at, but we all know that.

Good luck.
CO 46th Frostshields

"Relish The Cold, Freeze The Foe"

7th W/D/L

IG 1/0/0

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2013, 09:50:03 PM »
Yeah, with this list, if my Prime is charging out anywhere then the battle has decidedly not gone as I had hoped. My 'Nids don't need to be reenacting the battle of Dunkirk.
Vincere Vel Mori

Offline devil58

• cool guys don't look at explosions
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2013, 09:10:08 PM »
Interesting FOC...having said that, your elites look pretty good. Ymgarls ideally should be 7-8 per brood. I would maybe try to add your 3rd Zoanthrope by getting rid of some upgrades on the Carnifex (regen, toxin) and change that HVC to devourers if you could. You may need to ax a ymgarl to fit it in. 3 zoanthropes will give you a lot of versatility as either tank busters, anti-MEQ, or general psychic utility. I would also recommend 2x boneswords on your prime unless you're confident it will never see combat (never is a strong word). For only a few points more, dual boneswords make it nasty in CC.

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2013, 11:00:56 PM »
On the carnifex I only have the one pair of devourers unfortunately. The toxin sacs were on him as a JIC but the regen I figured would be nice as he'll likely be a bullet sponge. When I tested the list against my friend's SW last night it came in handy and kept him alive. I think by the end he'd been wounded 7 or 8 times and served to completely occupy both his Long Fangs the whole game. I can see the utility in adding a 3rd zoanthrope if I keep them with their stock powers. The thing is I feel the need to roll at least one on Biomancy and try for Iron Arm to make them more survivable. With 2 of them and 1 casting Iron Arm I raise their majority Toughness but with 3 in the squad I'd need two casting it to get the same effect. As far as the Prime goes, I don't have one with dual boneswords but do have one with talons, lash whip, and a bonesword. I don't know if I can expect him to NEVER get into CC, but last night he and the hive guard were never even were shot at. The MVP ended up being my Tervigon. It never failed casting Catalyst, crapped out 13 gaunts in one turn (but rolled doubles), and got me Slay the Warlord stomping all over his Rune Priest. It was my first game with him and definitely did not disappoint. It actually got me thinking maybe I should shuffle some points around to take a 2nd. I don't have a 2nd to field this weekend but its giving me food for thought should I run this list again somewhere down the road.
Vincere Vel Mori