News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Intro + Army Choosing!  (Read 1323 times)

Offline stuciferthemighty

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Intro + Army Choosing!
« on: January 28, 2014, 09:25:57 PM »
Hey there! I registered because I noticed a lot of posts I was reading that I wanted to comment on. This seems like a pretty cool community.

I thought it might be fun if you guys could help me choose a 2nd army (and maybe a low points list) for 40k. I won't say what I have already, I'll just tell you some stuff about me and general tactics I like to use.

In RPGS, I tend to play healers or support characters, and will sometimes dip into a class that is arcane and/or sneaky. In magic, I always play blue/white ("you can't hit me, I gain life") or green/white ("I gain life, my monsters get bigger").

In wargames, I prefer the late game attrition to alpha strike. My favorite tactic is to run up a tarpit (preferably buffed) in front of a flanking force. If the enemy attacks the tarpit, they get flanked. If they attack the flank, the tarpit moves up as a wall. After a few back-n-forth's, I retreat to cover or rush to objectives. From there I will chip away until they have nothing left to contest.

Just from this, what do you think I should (or DO) play?

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
Re: Intro + Army Choosing!
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2014, 09:59:19 PM »
From what you say, I'd suggest Tyranids. They seem to do pretty well with flanking units, big units, and have a variety of different tarpitting options.

Daemons might work, too, in a mixed-god list.

For late-game attrition-style lists, you're mostly looking for CC-oriented horde lists of some stripe, which mostly means Orks/Nids with a special mention of Daemons or Dark Eldar. The meat of your assault victories (which usually secure you the game) happen on turns 3-4 in a typically 5-6 turn game.

Welcome to the forum!

Offline Spectral Arbor

• Major
  • Thanks for the help.
Re: Intro + Army Choosing!
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2014, 10:18:51 PM »
Well, you could play IG with those tactics. They are more or less designed to win by attrition. Buffs take their troops and make them truly formidable, between orders and allied "buff" psykers.

They have several options that outflank, to literally flank your opponent.

A big Blob'o'Guardsmen make for a pretty effective tarpit, add a Commie / Battle Brother IC and away you go. They aren't really known for "Rushing" but I suppose Captain Al with his Battle Focus Junior order could work.

Some Marine builds could do similar effects, like Nurgle or FNP-Heavy Blood Angels.

Terminator builds from other lists could probably work that way also, though "Attrition" isn't exactly what I'd call it.