News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Eldar Corsairs, Pre-Heresy Dark Angels + World Eaters  (Read 330654 times)

Offline Aurics Pride

• Aspect Warrior
  • I tread the hidden path.....
  • Armies: Eldar, Raven Guard, Slaanesh
Re: Eldar Corsairs, Pre-Heresy Dark Angels + Campaign Projects
« Reply #840 on: August 21, 2016, 06:20:13 AM »
I do really love those conversions, the old warp spider models are cool but they are so outdated and really it's only fitting that a unit like that would have models that are in dynamic poses. It bugs me that a unit that are so fast and agile are in completely static poses!
Your conversions look much more fitting with the fluff, may have to steal the idea at some point!
+++ VICTORUS AUT MORTIS +++

My Army Blog (Corsair & Raven Guard: Here

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #841 on: August 25, 2016, 12:06:10 PM »
@Auric- Hey thanks man. I'm glad you dig the conversions. Definitely feel free to steal the ideas, this p-log is meant to be a resource to other Eldar players giving them reference material for potential counts-as options and conversions. Steal away!

@Everybody- Hey guys so I managed to finish one of the spiders. The others are in various stages of completion but things are coming along nicely! Very, very happy with how this guy came out. Been awhile since I've been able to a paint a model to the 9's as commission work requires you to paint only to the level payed for by the client. Very restrictive, and is awkward in that you feel like the minis dont look the best.

Anyway very happy to paint these guys to the standard I like. Anyway hope you enjoy. The base isn't completley finished... does need a few touchups but other than that he's finished.

Also included is a small part of a very large comission. But its come out so cool I just had to share with you guys. Learning how to do a sort of marbel effect on the statuary was really fun. Particularly happy with the point-counter-point with the window and the statuary. This model looks a little goofy in photos but in person its amazing!

Anyway hope you guys enjoy. Should be back with some updates soon. Perhaps a bat-rep. Anyway guys thanks for stopping by as always, talk to you all soon!
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Once held an Utter Fear of Tiny Diamonds
  • Armies: I 'play' Eldar. Or at least horde unpainted models
« Reply #842 on: August 25, 2016, 06:21:48 PM »
That DA Speeder is looking great. Not a fan of the model by any stretch of the imagination, but what you've done to it is awesome. The windows especially are particularly striking. Any chance of posting your recipe for the marble effects?
WD127 - Started a Love Affair my Wallet Just Can't Cope With...

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #843 on: August 26, 2016, 07:24:04 AM »
Hey Looshkin! Thanks man I appreciate the feedback. Glad you like the Speeder. I'm very happy with how its coming out too. So the recipe is pretty basic (and it could be taken further if the commission level was higher). For the actual angel statue its Celestra Grey with a Nuln Oil Wash. Then I highlight using Celestra Grey again and use Waywatcher Green Glaze.

The green robed angels on either side are Caliban Green with a Nuln Oil Wash. Touch-up/Highlight with Caliban Green, highlight again with Warpstone Glow, then jump up to Nurgling Green for the final touches. On the wings of the Green Robed angels. Its Celestra Grey with a heavy Nuln Oil wash. Highlighted with Dawn Stone on the edge of the feathers, then Celestra Grey again on the edge as the final highlight with the Biel-Tan wash.

The windows were very simple but you had to be careful to not get too much paint on the window framing too, too much. Basically celestra Grey for each window panel with a Biel-Tan wash.

So the colors are

Celestra Grey
DawnStone Grey

Caliban Green
Warpstone Glow
Nurgling Green

Biel-Tan Wash
Waywatcher Glaze

Anyway Looshkin hope that helps! Like I said it can be taken up a few notches in terms of detail and finish. Also the sculpting on the model is incredible, with the statuary sculpted to have sort of fragmenting stony lines (hard to describe). But its very very nice sculpting (regardless of the design). Like I said, hated it in photos, loved it in person. But it certainly is over the top, so wouldn't blame you for not liking it! lol Anyway thanks Looshkin hope I was able to give you some good details :)

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Ibushi

• Coming to a croneworld near you
  • Armies: PEW PEW spinny death
« Reply #844 on: August 30, 2016, 03:22:40 AM »
Wowzers absolutely loving these upcoming spider dudes -- the faces really make them pop, looking forward to seeing some more!

No idea how you do that marbled effect, it looks incredible. I could do maybe one statuette and then my technique would go all over the map and I'd end up stippling the whole thing and making it look like a paintball fight gone wrong. That commission is going to look incredible on the table once it's done!

Had a game lined up for today to do some classic Eldar versus nefarious DE/Eldar cousins, but unfortunately the plans fell through. Any more batreps and fun tactical excursions coming up on your end?

I'm pretty stoked to see Kill Team coming up soon, those rules can be quite cool to play quick small games especially with new players.

Anyway keep rocking on bud, show us what updates you have when you have them!
Check out my PLOG! Croneworld Koxinga Rises

Wet Coast GT 2015 Best Overall
TSHFT 08-15 3rd Place, Best Eldar
Guardian Cup 8.5 Best General
Attack-X Best Overall
WGWB 2015 Best Overall
Tanksgiving 2015 Best Overall

Samurai Eldar, Coming to a Croneworld Near You.

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #845 on: September 1, 2016, 05:17:36 AM »
Thanks for the recipe Cav. It's surprisingly simple really, just you've executed it so well that it looks way more complicated.

Right. Enough commenting on other people's painting threads. I'm off to pick up my brush. Once I've dusted it down for cobwebs that is...

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #846 on: September 1, 2016, 08:03:16 AM »
@Ibushi- Hey thanks man. Always appreciate your feedback. Just finished the second Spider yesterday. I'm really enjoying going back to my old ways painting just a single model at a time which is great fun (and all I have time for with my commission work!). Also its the benefit of having a fully painted army. I'm in no rush especially as I've got a few winning combos in my roster of army lists.

Yes Kill Team looks awesome! Just got the email from GW letting me know since I bought the rules before, I get the new edition for free. Jeez is this new CEO on the ball or what? I was happy before, but I've been thrilled lately.

Also I will have a new Bat-rep up in a day or two. I'm playing my buddy Mike with his crazy imperial forces (IG, Inquisition, Knights, Ad Mech). He's one of my favorite dudes so I cant wait to play!

Anyway thanks bud for the feedback I really do appreciate it!

@Looshkin- Hey man thanks so much. Honestly I never get too, too fancy with things. I usually just find cool tricks with the paint to pull off some nice effects. Its the GW paints which do most of the work, they've got a color for everything I swear. But I am getting to the point where I do want to try some more advanced stuff especially weathering... I've done some neat experiments which could really make my army look nice. Also yes! Pick up that paint brush we want more updates!!! Anyway thanks Looshkin I always appreciate your input and I can't wait to see some of your stuff, its some of the best around. Anyway thanks!

@Everybody- Stay tuned for another bat-rep, it'll be up shortly!

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #847 on: September 3, 2016, 09:13:02 AM »
Alrighty guys coming at you with another bat-rep! Played against my buddy Mike who's just a stellar guy. A true hobbyist and a loyal servant of the Emperor. So we agreed to play a "Single Formation OR a Single LoW" a little system I made up for the campaign I ran a while back. So it was 1850 Eldar Vs. IG lets dive in.

Eldar

Autarch- Banshee Mask, Fusion Gun, Soulshrive
Wraithbladesx5- Axes, Shields
     Wave Serpent- Scatter Lasers, Shuriken Cannon 
Jetbikes x3- Scatter Lasers x3
Dire Avengers x10
Nightwing
Hornets x2- Pulse Lasers x4
Hornets x2- Pulse Lasers x4
-Aspect Host-
Scorpions x10- Exarch: Claw
Warp Spiders x10- Exarch
Fire Dragons x6- Exarch
     Wave Serpent- Scatter Lasers, Shuriken Cannon 

Imperial Guard

Pask- Punisher
Demolisher- Multi-Meltas, Lascannon
Veterans x10- Flamer, Melta, Melta
      Chimera- Multilaser, Heavy Bolter
Veterans x10- Plasma, Plasma, Lascannon
Eradicator
Eradicator
Valkyrie
Manticore
Basilisk
Imperial Knight- Glove and Sword

Alright, so we played Maelstron: Spoils of War. I'll give just a rough estimate on points generated as I go.

Turn 1

Eldar- I won the roll to go first and I went first. So only putting my Spiders and my 2 Serpents out there (Dragons and Wraithblades). He deployed his Knight away from my Dragons, so I forwent all attempts at shooting and just did some turbo-boosting to get my Dragons closer to the Knight and hide my Spiders out of LOS as best I could. I scored a couple of lucky points as I deployed on top of 2 objectives to begin the game. Lucky! My opponent was somewhat bewildered at how fast my turn went as I only moved 3 units and took no shots. But thats how I roll!

IG- So the Basilisk, Manticore let rip on a Serpent and removed 3 of my Spiders. That stung a little but not too bad. I was out of LOS or range of everything else so with that he moved forward... including his Knight right next to my Dragons? I couldn't believe it. This was the second time he has done this in a game, even after asking me where they were a couple of times... Not sure if it was first turn jitters (which I doubt, Mike plays all the time) or a simple mental mistake. Anyway I knew what I was gonna do next turn.

Turn 2

Eldar- So my Nightwing, a unit of Hornets, all my Jetbikes and my Scorpions came on. I decided to keep my Scorpions (uncharacteristicall y) in reserves to avoid just getting pounded by the Basilisk, Manticore and more importantly ignore cover shots of the Eradicators. There wasn't a lot of area terrain so I was going to expose them needlessly. The Scorpions and Hornets outflank together on the left hand flank behind the Knight, and next to the Chimera with Veterans. My opponent puts his shields on the back to protect against the Hornets, so the Dragons pop out of the Serpent and get an excellent 6" battle-focus run forward to get within melta range on side armor. My jetbikes zip up out of LOS and onto objectives, while my beloved Nightwing goes solo on the extreme right flank to try and silence the Manticore.

So lets start with the beginning of the shooting phase. The Dragons annihilate the Knight with fusion fire and take no damage in the ensuing explosion. This was a huge mistake by my opponent freeing up the rest of my army to go after everything else. So Hornets silence one of the Eradicators stunning it. The Nightwing aces the Manticore with lance and shuriken fire (as always my ace does me justice!) and the Scorpions chip in with 2 HP's stripped off the side armor of the Chimera with pistol fire, and the Spiders finish it off. Arachnid double team! As usual my Turn 2 counter-attack was absolutely deadly. I cannot say enough about the value of the Autarch and his ability to change the Reserves game.

IG- So the IG were reeling after that. Out of Reserves comes the Valkyrie, dropping their Veterans via Grav-Chute insertion and sadly the unit hits the base of the flyer and is lost! Terrible, outcome... my opponent really needed them to help out. The Eradicators pull back to try and avoid the Dragons, firing on one of the Wave Serpents but scattering and missing. Meanwhile the Basilisk unloads on the Scorpions who are ready to pounce on the Guardsmen who've been forcibly ejected from their wrecked Chimera, killing 2 of the Scorpions who made excellent 4+ cover saves. To close out the turn Pask and the Demolisher shoot what weapons they can at my flyer whose deadly close to them with his lances. I elect to Jink as my Nightwing is a key anti-tank unit in this particular list. I pass my Jink saves after a decent number of successful snapshots and take no damage. An ineffectual turn from my opponent. The noose is tightening already....

TURN 3

Eldar- I go in for the kill! My opponent for whatever reason elected to ignore the Fire Dragons, who were out in the open thus enabling them to hunt down the Eradicators. They moved out 6", battle-focused 6" into melta range and nuked the entire squadron. These guys are rolling! The Scorpions move out to deal with Veterans whom they promptly slaughter while the Hornets pepper the Basilisk leaving only a Single hull point. My second unit of Hornets which also came on shot up the Demolisher stripping 2 HP's. Meanwhile my other units just zipped around grabbing Maelstrom objectives. I was up by about 4 or 5 points at this point and feeling very comfortable. Another good turn, though the removal of the Basilisk would have been nice.

IG- The Imperial Guard struck back well in this next turn. Pask and his Punisher took out the Fire Dragons, the Stormtoopers which arrived via Deepstrike took out a unit of bikes. The Basilisk wiped out 4 Wraithblades forcing a bunch of Look Out Sirs! to avoid losing Warlord. While the Valkyrie flew off the board. If only he had deployed a little better and not rushed the Knight up the board I think it would have been a different game. That being said, Mike NEVER throws the towel in early and we soldiered on.

End Game

We played on till turn 5, but it was all but certain that we were in for an Eldar win. I took out the Basilisk and Pask on Turn 4+5 leaving only the Demolisher and Valkryie alive. I went up big time on Maelstrom points, while my opponent still managed to take out another Jetbike unit.

It was a bit unfortunate in the beginning the way he ran the Knight right into my Dragons. That, silencing the Eradicator and taking out the Manticore all in Turn 2 really sent the train off the tracks, making my target priority very clear. Nevertheless it was still fun and it was my first time playing in a new store which was very nice. Tons of room, good lighting and nice people. Also Mike is a stellar guy and while the game wasn't as tense and close as I'd like we still had fun and some more glory was won for the Lions of Asuryan.

Anyway guys hope you enjoyed the bat-rep. Stay tuned I'll have another one up next week in a rematch against Patrick who played his Imperial Fists against me last time. This one will be a toughy! He's got tons of Knights and 6k points worth of Ad-mech. I'm scared!
« Last Edit: September 3, 2016, 09:14:06 AM by Cavalier »

Offline Aurics Pride

• Aspect Warrior
  • I tread the hidden path.....
  • Armies: Eldar, Raven Guard, Slaanesh
« Reply #848 on: September 3, 2016, 10:24:45 AM »
Looks like a good battle even if it was a relatively easy win for yourself! The guard army looked pretty nicely painted too, always wanted to do a guard army but I am so slow that it'd take forever!
+++ VICTORUS AUT MORTIS +++

My Army Blog (Corsair & Raven Guard: Here

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
« Reply #849 on: September 3, 2016, 03:46:24 PM »
That was a great performance by the Fire Dragons, helped by your dice rolls for battle focus being excellent on both occasions, but like you I remember what happened with his Knight the last time.  I'm not sure what he was trying to do.  Did the post game discussion reveal anything?

Your plan was executed clinically and very well, especially considering the relative lack of terrain on this particular board.  The Imperial Guard did fight back well, but you'd done too much critical damage early on for them to catch up.  Very well played :).
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #850 on: September 4, 2016, 07:52:02 AM »
@Auric- Hey bud thanks. Yeah it was a good time and a nice return to the tabletop for the Lions of Asuryan after about a month or so off from actually playing. Yes Mikes army does look really nice too. Nice colors, nice clean paintjobs and LOADS of conversions. You dont see it as much in this particular list but he's got some great, very simple conversions, kitbashes and headswaps that make his army really nice. Particularly with character models like Priests, Sergeants, and Imperial Officers for his Command Squad.

I'm a fairly slow painter myself, but I managed to knockout a large portion of IG stuff about 3 years ago for my brother relatively quick. Its really not too different than an Eldar army is you are running Vets and tanks. Its when you run huge Platoons and Conscripts where things get crazy and turn into a major league grind. Anyway thanks for stopping by Auric, I appreciate your feedback and I'm glad you enjoyed that bat-rep!

@Irisado- Hey Irisado thanks. Yes the Fire Dragons were true aces in this game. I'm beginning to trust them more and more. They are very fun to play making their daring Wave Serpent sorties as well. I'm glad you remembered that misstep from my opponent from last game, because I was thinking the same thing.

I did mention it to him and he said he was just trying to protect his flank from the Scorpions which made me think it was really just a mental error. I did say that I thought the close-combat combo was not optimal... that the Battlecannon+Sword combo would be far better. I told him how my brother hangs back in cover, using large terrain pieces to protect one armor facing, while directing the shield to protect another facing... just pounding away at range till a threat gets close and then charge forward. That idea seemed to resonate with him upon mentioning. Come to think of it, I dont think Mike has used his Knight a whole lot. Which reminds me of when I first used my Wraithknight. For as much flak as the Wraithknight gets, it does take some learning to use it properly. You gotta balance patience with maximizing offensive output because as tough as the Knight class units are they can be taken out in a single turn if you have the right tools.

Thanks for the compliments though. Even though I felt very confident early, I wanted to try and eliminate each threat as if the pressure were still on. I'm trying to ramp up my level of play, and also play more... try and get about 3 games in a month if possible. So it was certainly a good experience. Anyway thanks Irisado as always I truly appreciate your feedback.

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
« Reply #851 on: September 4, 2016, 10:19:27 AM »
I see what he was thinking in some ways, but given how many armoured vehicles he was running, the Fire Dragons were much more of a threat.  As you say, I think that he ended up focusing on the wrong threat.  Either that, or the reputation of your Striking Scorpions precedes them, and that's why he was so concerned about them ;).

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #852 on: September 5, 2016, 03:47:18 AM »
Good bat rep Cav. Kudos to your opponent. Not many guys out there can maintain their humour and continue a game in good spirits after such a disastrous start. Or at least I know that I didn't maintain my good humour after suffering my 3rd deep strike mishap in a turn  >:(

Great stuff!

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #853 on: September 5, 2016, 08:43:40 AM »
@Irisado- I know you were probably joking about the reputation of my Scorpions messing up his target priority... but this is the same opponent who I saved 17+ overwatch armor saves against a 50 man platoon to make combat and save the rest of my army. The both of us will never forget that. Probably the #1 highlight of all my years playing 40k.  ;D ;D ;D ;D

@Looshkin- Thanks buddy. You are right most guys can't maintain good humor about such disasters. But Mike is one of those guys you can only hope to have as a 40k friend. He's such a good natured guy and is really a pleasure to play against and talk 40k with. He and his wife are really passionate about 40k whether it be hobby, mission design, playing, terrain building and all the rest of it.

Believe me I'm nowhere near as composed... I dont show it, but inward I get that gamer rage burning with the intensity of a thousand burning crone worlds!

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #854 on: September 7, 2016, 12:32:16 PM »
Hey gang, back with another mini-hobby update. So work continues on with Spiders Squad #2. Only gonna be 5 guys in this squad and I'm going to use the rest of the Guardian box to start up another unit of Scorpions which should just about round my "Counts-As-Craftworld" army. I'll then be switching up my efforts to get a true Corsair army rockin and rollin which shouldn't be too hard as my bikes are all Corsair standard.

This guy is still a WIP

Anyway I've got another game set for this saturday which should be very awesome. It'll be against Patrick who owns Imperial Fists and Ad-Mech. Should be a blast.

Anyway I'll be back with a bat-rep and hopefully have the last Spider finished and the other 2 under construction. Anyway stay tuned and talk to you all soon!

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Orks, Chaos Space Marines, Eldar, Dark Eldar
« Reply #855 on: September 8, 2016, 05:54:35 PM »
Looking great as always Cav! I'd be interested in seeing an warp spiders exarch with power blades or a spinnerette rifle in the style you've chosen. I'd imagine the rifle looking almost in a sniper style, long barrel and the power blades more jagged and cruel as the dark eldar would have.

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #856 on: September 9, 2016, 06:59:16 AM »
Hey DoW thanks bud! I really like your idea for the Spinerette Rifle. Sort of attach a splinter rifle/carbine with perhaps a blaster, or shredder muzzel at the end. Something like that... I should go check my DE bits and see what I can cook up.

As for the Power Blades

He does have Power Blades on both hands BTW. I must say though the paint jobs on these guys are not the best in retrospect. The new guys look much, much better. For some reason I feel like I struggled with these guys. Maybe I was in a rush to get them ready for games. EDIT: I noticed this is an old WIP picture. I did finish him and make look a bit better, but my criticism still stands.

Anyway I'm definitley gonna have an Exarch in this next squad. Perhaps with magnetized options. I found some super small magnets in my assembly tools box that need to be used! Anyway thanks DoW I appreciate it!

« Last Edit: September 9, 2016, 07:00:28 AM by Cavalier »

Offline Irisado

• Administrator
« Reply #857 on: September 9, 2016, 09:26:37 AM »
To me, the paint job still looks excellent, so I feel that you're being overly harsh on yourself.

The Powerblades look really good by the way, especially when position that way as though they are about to swipe an opponent.

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #858 on: September 10, 2016, 07:56:26 AM »
Thanks Irisado. Since I've started doing commission stuff I think I've sort of gotten hypercritical of the paint jobs I've done of late. I'm really glad that you think that in comparison the old Spider squad still stands up. I did labor to finish them, stripping the helmet multiple times to get them just right. I think I'm gonna go back and add a layer of Wild Rider Red like I've done on my most recent guys. It really adds definition to the highlights and armor details. Anyway thanks Irisado I do appreciate it!

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #859 on: September 12, 2016, 01:27:39 AM »
nothing wrong with that spider exarch mate.

If you are still looking for idea, I stumbled onto this and had a nerdgasm, sadly very expensive and come from Russia, so never risked it myself. You could remove the small thrusters from the corsair jetpack, then use those mount points to hook up some power blades.
When Craftworlds Drop By: Eldar Warp Spider Alternatives - Review Time!