News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Using the Old Codex?  (Read 2707 times)

Offline Wyldhunt

Using the Old Codex?
« on: May 18, 2014, 02:34:46 PM »
I do not have the new 'dex. I do have the last 'dex.  From what I've heard, the new 'dex gets rid of some of my favorite options (Mycetic Spores, various characters, ymgarl stealers, etc.)  and restricts our options for psychic powers. Considering I don't play tournament games, and my buddies are unlikely to mind, would anyone strongly recommend against using the last 'dex instead of the new one? Is there any huge change of rules in the new book that makes it clearly preferable?  Do the points for things get cut in half in the new book or anything like that? 

Offline Dangerousdave0042

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
  • Armies: Imperial Guard, Blood Angels and Tyranids
Re: Using the Old Codex?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2014, 07:56:43 PM »
You can do whatever you like "in house" between you and your friend if that's what you both want to do. You could play second edition rules if you wanted to, you can make up whatever scenarios you want to. That's one of the nice things about 40k.

However, the new codex would (presumably) be more geared towards 7th edition, and also the old codex FAQs wouldn't necessarily make any sense with the new rules (and also aren't available any more). Also the models in the old codex would be "costed" for 7 th edition rules thereby possibly making something very powerful for the points it costs.

Also you could be doing a "dis-service" to your friends if they get used to playing your Nid army, and then go to play another Nid army from the new codex which is pointed differently and works and plays differently.

I agree that's it's a shame the mycetic spore went, but it did. Also, the Doom - it was a complete non tactical, under pointed unit that took no skill to use. Again while it's a shame it disappeared, it needed changing.

It would also mean you can't use the Harpy or the Exocrine which are both awesome units.
Just because you can, doesn't mean that you should.