News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 'Ard Boyz Test Game Photo Battle Report (Nids Vs SM)  (Read 1978 times)

Offline GaleRazorwind

• Hormagaunt
  • Ziltoid Lives!
  • Armies: Nids, BA, CSM
'Ard Boyz Test Game Photo Battle Report (Nids Vs SM)
« on: July 3, 2009, 03:21:17 AM »
Well, tonight I got to try my V3 'Ard Boyz list against a SM player (who is normally our main IG player...). I had to use a few stand ins, though. The raveners are warriors with rending claws and deathspitters, and the genestealers that are with the gaunts are gaunts themselves. I bought a battleforce there so I will have everyone built and painted by the time the actual tourny starts.

My list:
Hive Fleet Box Elder Bug
2009 ‘Ard Boyz Tournament Army List V3

HQ1: Hive Tyrant with Bio-plasma, Enhanced Senses, Toxin Sacs, Wings, Scything Talons, Venom Cannon, and Warp Field (218 points)

HQ2: Broodlord Brood with 11 Genestealers. Broodlord has Toxin Sacs, Extended Carapace, and Feeder Tendrils. Genestealers have Extended Carapace, Toxin Sacs and Scything Talons. (390 points)

Elites 1: Tyranid Warrior Brood with nine Warriors. Warriors have Enhanced Senses, Extended Carapace, Toxin Sacs, and Rending Claws. Eight Warriors have Deathspitters and one Warrior has a Venom Cannon (352 points)

Elites 2: Ninjafex with 2 x Scything talons, Toxic Miasma, and Adrenal Glands (+WS) (113 points)

Troops 1: Uber-Gaunt Brood with 20 Gaunts. Uber-Gaunts have Toxin Sacs and Fleshborers (180 points)

Troops 2: Uber-Gaunt Brood with 20 Gaunts. Uber-Gaunts have Toxin Sacs and Fleshborers (180 points)

Troops 3: Hormagaunt Brood with 20 Gaunts. Gaunts have Extended Carapace and Adrenal Glands (+I) (240 points)

Troops 4: Hormagaunt Brood with 20 Gaunts. Gaunts have Extended Carapace and Adrenal Glands (+I) (240 points)

Heavy Support 1: Three Zoanthropes. Zoanthropes have Synapse and Warp Blast (195 points)

Heavy Support 2: Carnifex with Bonded Exoskeleton, Enhanced Senses, Extended Carapace, Reinforced Chitin, Tusks, Spine Banks, Scything Talons, and Barbed Strangler (191 points)

Heavy Support 3: Carnifex with Bonded Exoskeleton, Enhanced Senses, Extended Carapace, Reinforced Chitin, Tusks, Spine Banks, Scything Talons, and Barbed Strangler (191 points)

Total: 2500 points

His list was something along the lines of this:

SM Captain on a bike with Inferno bolter rounds

10 Assault Terminators, half with TH/SS and half with Lighting Claws

10 Regular Terminators, about 2 or 3 with assault cannons and one with a power sword

Dreadnaught with autocannon and flamer in a drop pod

Scout sniper squad with about 6 models, one with a missile launcher and one sargeant

Another scout sniper squad like above^

10 man close combat scout squad with bolt pistols/CC weapon, and about 3 power weapons

5 or 6 man scout squad with 4/5 shotguns and a sargeant with power fist

5 man scout biker squad

2 land speeders in a squad. They had multi-meltas and heavy flamers.

Land speeder scout transport

Vindicator tank with two pintle mounted stormbolters

Whirlwind

Predator Annihilater with twin linked lascannon and two heavybolter sponsoons

Okay here comes the report:

We did a pitched battle kill everything mission. I won the roll to go first and my opponent rolled a 5 on the STI. When I was setting up, he had his whirlwind on the right side of the table, hence the positioning of my flyrant and zoanthrope. Then he decided to move it to the other side of the table, causing my hormagaunts and flyrant not seeing much action until turn 3, and my zoanthrope till turn 4. Here was what the setup looked like:

I had my Blord in reserve and he had his dreadnaught (in drop pod), regular termy squad, close combat scout squad, and shotgun scout squad inside the landspeeder transport in reserve (they are the models in the other table in the first pic).

Turn1-Tyranid: I move my Uber-gaunts forward and to the left, followed by my warriors and godfexes. I moved my ninjafex on top of the rock he was behind and flew my flyrant straight forward to behind the rock  near the pool. Then I moved my hormagaunts off to the left.

My flyrant's VC fired at the predator and caused both an immobilisation and a crew shaken. My godfexes did some shooting at sniper scouts and took out a few of them. Warriors fired the venom cannon but did not get any wounds, and the deathspitters were out of range. My Zoanthrope near my ninjafex had moved in range to shoot at a sniper scout squad and I think it caused one death. Hormagaunts and Uber-gaunts both used FoC, and my zoanthrop on the far right ran.

Turn1-SM: He dopped his dreadnaught near my ninjafex and zoanthrope, moved his assault termies towards my gaunts, moved his bikes along the table edge, and moved his landspeeders with his bikes.

He managed to get some shooting off on my ninjafex using his scouts and bikes and managed to wound him once, and caused a wound on the zoanthrope. His demolisher cannon was out of range, and his whirlwind managed to kill a single ubergaunt due to a full 2D6 scatter (he didn't hove LoS).

Turn2-Tyranids: I failed my reserves roll on my Blord, so he didn't get to come in. I continued the march forward with my ubergaunts and warriors and godfexes. My flyrant started moving towards his predator, joined by the hormagaunts. I turned my ninjafex around and sent him after the dreadnaught while I moved one of my godfexes onto the same rock the ninjafex was on so I could blast the bikers with his BS.

Between the godfex and the zoanthrope, they managed to wipe out a good chunck of the bikes. I had 5 deathspitter warriors in range of the assault termies, who were clumped dangerously close, and got really, really lucky. My blasts were centered on a guy that resulted in 8 hits per shot with a small blast template, and I scored 3 direct hits, one that didn't scatter enough to move it, and one that scattered so it only hit 4, leaving me with a total of 36 hits! When I rolled to wound, I only failed 4, so he ended up losing 7 termies! Freakin sweet 8)

My flyrant shot at the predator again but failed to do anything to it. My other godfex shot at the termies too but failed to do anything to them. My other zoanthrope fired a focused warp blast at the drop pod and wrecked it.

I charged my ninjafex into his dreadnaught and blew him up, causing a wound to my fex (>_<).

Turn2-SM: He also failed all of his reserve rolls, so I didn't have to deal with them yet. He spread out his remaining 3 assault termies so I couldn't pull off another deathspitter miracle and moved his landspeeders into ninjafex hunting positions.

He tried really hard to bring down my ninjafex, shooting at it with snipers, krak missiles, the bikers, and the predator, but nothing was managing to wound him. Finally, his landspeeders used their multi-meltas on him and brought him down. Another round of crappy shooting from both the vindicator and whirlwind resulted in another 2 or 3 dead ubergaunts.

Here is what the board looked like at the end of turn 2:

Turn3-Tyranids: My Blord decided to come in this turn, but also decided to come in on the right side of the table, effectively negating his entire presense in the game... although he did do something in the SM turn 3.

Anyway, I continued moving everyone forward, putting me in shooty range with my ubergaunts and all of my warriors. My flyrant and hormagaunts finally moved into charge range with the predator.

My ubergaunts managed to take out two more assault termies.

Even though it wasn't possible for my S3 hormagaunts to damage the predator, I still had them charge in so I could get them closer to the fight. My flyrant just barely made it in, but ended up blowing it up with a 6" range, causing massive casualties to my hormagaunts, but managing to kill off his remaining scouts nearby too. I think I took about 15 casualties from that blast...

Turn3-SM: This time, all of his reserves came in. He brought his landspeeder transport in from the left, warped in his termies behind my warriors, and ended up having his CC scouts come in on the right, so he just stuck them in a line right behind my stealers.

He managed to kill two of them with bolt pistol fire.

Shooting from his reinforcements brought one of my godfexes down to 3 wounds and finished off my zoanthrope:

He charged my ubergaunts with his last assault termie and did a 6" tank shock against them with his vindicator, which did a point-blank shot that killed a good chunk of them. A shot from the whirlwind also caused some more casualties, but I still had quite a few left. He killed one gaunt with his termie, but I still killed him with the rest of my gaunts.

He then decided to suicide his CC scouts by charging my Blord squad. BIG mistake! I killed every last scout before he even had a chance to strike back. Thank you S5 I5 FT awesomeness.

Turn4-Tyranid: Since my ubergaunts were strong enough to possibly kill the vindicator on the rear and side armour, I started moving them to where they could do some damage. I moved my hormagaunts towards his reinforcements and moved my flyrant towards the whirlwind. I turned my warriors around and sent them after the terminator squad that warped in behind them.

Shooting was pretty productive. My flyrant used his VC on the whirlwind and destroyed his missile launcher, and my warriors managed to take out about 7 termies with shooting. My ubergaunts managed to immobilize the vindicator and they destroyed its demolisher cannon.

My flyrant charged the whirlwind and blew it up, my ubergaunts got another weapon destroyed on the vindicator and stunned and shook it, and I had my warriors and one zoanthrope charge the remaining terminators. I moved the Zoanthrope in for the toxic miasma effect. I think I took one wound from the termies, but my warriors ripped them to shreds with their rending claws.

Here is what his remaining units were:

Turn4-SM: He starts by sending his remaining bikes and shotgun scouts after my warriors, and he sent his landspeeders after my gaunts. He lost a bike to difficult terrain.

He took out a ton of gaunts with heavy flamers and killed one of my warriors. He also killed my wounded godfex.

He charged my last godfex with his scouts and managed to wound him with the power fist, but my godfex killed two scouts.

Turn5-Tyranids: I started by sending my hormagaunts to help deal with the scouts and the bikers, then sent my warriors after his landspeeder squad and my flyrant after his landspeeder transport.

Flyrant immobilized it with his VC and wrecked it in CC. Warriors managed to immobilize one of the squad landspeeders, which counts as a wreck due to vehical squad rules. I believe a shot from a zoanthrope wrecked the other one.

The ubergaunts got another immobilized result, as well as a few more crew shaken/stunned, on the vindicator but failed to destroy it.

My hormagaunts charged a bike and the scouts and killed them all.

Turn5-SM:With almost nothing left, he tried shooting his sniper scouts at the hive tyrant but failed to do anything to him. He also charged something with his captain, I think, but didn't really do anything.

He rolled to see if we would do turn 6 and it passed, so we continued the game.

Turn6-Tyranids: Since my ubergaunts were failing to destroy the tank, I sent them after the sniper scout squad and sent my flyrant to deal with it. My hormagaunts and a zoanthrope managed to chase down the captain biker got him down to one wound. My ubergaunts took out 2 scouts with shooting and another one in CC.

I guess my flyrant was a bit exhausted at this point, having killed two tanks and a landspeeder, because he didn't manage to kill the vindicator.

Turn6-SM: All he could do now was finish the two combats going on. My hormagaunts killed the captain and my ubergaunts killed all but one scout.

It was my turn to roll to see if we would continue, but after a really long spinning dice, it turned up as a 3, so the game ended.

While I lost most of my gaunts, I still had at least one gaunt remaining per squad.

After totalling up the kill points using the rules for Scenario 2 (head hunter: HQ = 5 KP, E/FA/HS = 2 KP, T = 1 KP), he got 6/28 KPs and I got 25/28 KPs! That is more than a double massacre! In addition, all of my HQ survived, I killed all of his HQ, and I had more units in his deployment zone than he had in mine.

So, while I was certainly very lucky in this game, is shows that my particular list has a ton of potential.

Thanks for reading this long battle report. I hope you enjoyed all the details, though.

-GaleRazorwind of Hive Fleet Box Elder Bug
Ziltoid is so omniscient, if there were to be two omnisciences, he would be both!

Offline MaldeCaderas

• the uncureable
Re: 'Ard Boyz Test Game Photo Battle Report (Nids Vs SM)
« Reply #1 on: July 3, 2009, 04:38:11 AM »
I am glad it worked for you. I should have made the list in a much more different way... Primarily the broodlord and retunie. As you experienced, you tyrant does a lot, another one would have been much better than a blord and retunie. You can always enter the board from sides with regular stealers too.

I couldn't read much about godfexes.. What did they do?

You were really lucky with the warriors, (eight hit with one blast? one small marker? why did he bring them together such? were they having group... err.. therapy?) but I really like them. I use them with just tl deathspitters; they almost everytime grant such shooting effects, but I have to keep them out of cc. Not a problem though. I spent the points I gain by keeping them (and some other units) cheap to get some more gaunts and shield them, both giving them 4+ cover save, assault barrier and more troops for me, with additional fire support.

Hormagaunts! I really love them, since 3rd edition. Last edition made them a little bit hard to use, but when things go well, they really shine. Just, sometimes, keeping them in synapse becomes hard.

Overall, good play by you, a few bad choices by your opponent, some good luck and a slaughter. Good work against any marine player, though.
Bring us more :)
smaller the hope, precious it is

Offline GaleRazorwind

• Hormagaunt
  • Ziltoid Lives!
  • Armies: Nids, BA, CSM
« Reply #2 on: July 3, 2009, 02:47:56 PM »
A godfex is a carnifex with a bunch of defensive biomorphs, usually bonded exoskeleton (+1T), extended carapace, reinforced chitin (+1W), and regenerate. My godfexes were slightly less godlike since they don't have regenerate, but not using it saves 60 points that went into more gaunts.

I usually keep my hormagaunts next to my flyrant and my ubergaunts near my warriors. You do raise a point with the switching of the Blord to a tyrant. His squad takes up 390 points... the only problem is that I am pretty much broke, so I don't really have the money to buy another tyrant. I suppose I DID just get a carnifex in my battleforce that could be modded into a tyrant, though.

Okay, after a bit of calculating, I could replace my Blord with a sniperant (VC/BS/+BS/+S/WF) + 1 TGaurd and a squad of 6 stealers with +Sv, FT, and Scytals. This increases my total KPs to 29, greatly reduces the amount of choppy I can use, and results in an HQ choice that is much easier to kill, but it would increase the amount of shooty I can have and, if I'm really lucky, it would let me capture all 5 objectives in scenario 1.

I would put the sniperant and his gaurd behind my warriors to give him the 4+ cover save and I would put the stealers behind the hormagaunts so they would get the 4+ cover save. Since the stealers have FT, keeping them near the hormagaunts is a great idea, since the hormagaunts would benefit from it.

I think I might skip taking a gaurd, though, remove the +Sv on the hormagaunts, and give them +S. That would greatly increase their efficiency, although it would make them more fragile.
Ziltoid is so omniscient, if there were to be two omnisciences, he would be both!

Offline Lord Alliben

• Ripper
  • jo. Ph34r my l33t skillz. B4x4^2!
    • Alliben's Homepage
« Reply #3 on: July 6, 2009, 12:45:01 PM »
Nice batrep. I'm glad you included pics. The swarm looks awesome on the tabletop like that. Haha. Well played. Keep the batreps coming.