News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: color scheme help/nids  (Read 814 times)

Offline volgon8 is dead!!

• http://s1.darkpirates.com/c.php?uid=31750
color scheme help/nids
« on: June 30, 2007, 01:01:49 AM »
i cannot decide on a simple but cool color scheme can any1 help??

also i will get some photos asap of what i came up with which i think is bad
« Last Edit: June 30, 2007, 01:03:34 AM by volgon8 »

Offline Lieutenant Darling

Re: color scheme help/nids
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2007, 11:03:49 AM »
I've always thought that Tyranids should be a camo type theme. Some of the fluff from the previous edition codex has them sneaking up on Imperial Guard. So anyway, my Tyranid army (which I use when I play Cities of Death) is a dark grey/medium grey/brown camo. They really blend in to the tabletop scenery, which I think is cool. That said, it's not exactly thrilling to paint several hundred models all with a grey paint scheme, but when it's all painted and on the table, it sure looks great!
That which does not kill you...<br />  ...was a tactical error.

Offline XCrusaderguy01

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2007, 11:15:27 AM »
A friend of mine started Tyranids, and we had the same dilemma for him. Basically, what we found is this:

-Look at the pictures in the codex. They have a lot of color schemes that you can draw from.

-Games Workshop had a staff tyranid painting contest. You can find the fruits of their labors here, about 40 different well-painted warrior color schemes. http://us.games-workshop.com/games/40k/tyranids/painting/contest/contest.htm

-Tyranids consist of basically 5 things: Armor plates, flesh, flesh-tearing/muscle bulge, Claws/talons, and guns. Keep each of these consistent across your army and you'll be in good shape.

-Personally, I find that 2 contrasting main colors looks most striking on the tabletop. I saw a guy that did "Aliens" themed bugs, took hours carefully highlighting them, and in the end, they just looked black. In general, I'd say dark armor plating, light flesh, and bright claws looks very good.

Offline nesbitt_bub1

• Infinity Circuit
  • Stop looking at my AVATAR, read what i did write!!
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2007, 02:53:39 PM »
yup whats already been said.

the colour wheel should help you. Things on opposite side clash. But colours to the side will work nicely.

For example red skin with violet carapice... but the little fleshy holey bits picked out with a little green will give a nice complementig scheme with a little contrast.

Nids can be whatever you want tho. Mine are baby blue with baby pink caprapice! all with a skill white drybrush. And my warrioirs are hawk torquoise, with The carapice washed with purple ink then ard coated... they look unique but very striking.

oh done be worried about individual models so much with the colour scheme! One model may look horrible by itself, But as a hoarde contrasting bright colours work brilliantly. Likewise as already stated if you do a superb dark paint scheme they end up looking like they haven't had any painting done to them!

Offline Grokk

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2007, 09:17:38 PM »
I'm running into the same thoughts as I'm painting the 'Nids that came with my BoM set.  Right now I'm just basecoating them with the black, then going back to the "skin" with leather brown.

I want to keep the armor predominantly black, and the skin/flesh the leather brown.  I'm thinking of skull white for the claws/teeth, or possibly boltgun metal.  (I know it's wierd, but white claws make me think of either keratin or calcium, neither of which is going to scratch power armor.) 

I'm not sure what to do for eyes, (was thinking blue) or for the "dry brushing" highlight.

I'm trying to make them look like animals more so than genetic chameleon freaks.

I'm also trying to think about what to do with the "pockets" in their arms / legs (the ribbed exposed parts).  I'm not sure whether to paint them brown and ink them with black, brown and ink with red, leave them black and ink with red, leave them black and ink with brown, etc etc.  Right now I'm avoiding painting them.
(when I say ink, for the moment I mean watering down the acrylic a hell of a lot.)

Kinda silly to fret over it I guess, I'm not sure I'll even wind up getting a nid force together when I finally settle on a real army to play.

Offline volgon8 is dead!!

• http://s1.darkpirates.com/c.php?uid=31750
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2007, 10:04:11 PM »
well i kinda played around abit and painted some gaunts yellow skined, purple carapace, red claws, greenish guns, and green eyes 
and some others purple skined, red carapace, black claws/feet(or hoofs??), and grey guns
then my zoanthrope is black skined, red carapace, purple brain, slimed a bit, and some green on the front bony part
now my broodlord is santa plain and simple im painting the genestealers to be reindeer
then my other zoanthrope is gonna be the easter bunny (kinda suggestions that i got from the 40k place)

i am trying to get my sis to loan me her camera to take pictures of them but eventually i will have pics uploaded