News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Mob Rule  (Read 1024 times)

Offline a2thak

• Ork Boy
  • For the emperor! ummmm...waarrrgh?
Mob Rule
« on: August 27, 2010, 10:00:38 PM »
Just looking to clarify.  Played my nid buddy today and he has things that make you take a ld check (see brood lord hypnotic gaze) just curious in an 11+ mob how this works.  Does he make a check under 11 because of mob rule? Or is it stat line ld? Thanks in advance.

Offline jawmonkey

• My disgust for you is only matched by my rage.
Re: Mob Rule
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2010, 10:32:11 PM »
Qoute from BRB: "Ork mobs may always choose to substitute the number of Orks in their mob for their leadership value..."

I guess they take a leadership test and try not to roll over 30 on a 2d6... :-\
Throwing feces in the eye of insolence.

Check out my terrain tutorial!, New chapter; plasticard watch tower added 11-6-11!

Also,examples of my many armies;  pics of all sorts of huge commissions

Offline a2thak

• Ork Boy
  • For the emperor! ummmm...waarrrgh?
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2010, 11:37:06 PM »
haha ya thats what i wondered.  K thanks.

Offline jawmonkey

• My disgust for you is only matched by my rage.
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2010, 11:43:11 PM »
hmmm... [checking nid codex]

err, have to use the nob's leadership, so yeah, that sucks. You still beat him in combat though, right? ;)

Even though something is fearless it still has a leadership value, since the nid power doesn't say "make a moral or pinning test" (that it would automatically pass due to fearless), it would have to use the Orks awesome leadership value...  ::)
Throwing feces in the eye of insolence.

Check out my terrain tutorial!, New chapter; plasticard watch tower added 11-6-11!

Also,examples of my many armies;  pics of all sorts of huge commissions

Offline incredibleskulk

• Ork Boy | KoN Veteran
  • I think, therefore I win
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2010, 12:38:53 AM »
your ld would be 10, as 10 is the max stat line. i wish it was 30, thatd be sick!!! whats that, doom of broken A$$ cheap bullcrap'tai? take a ld on 3d6? whats that i rolled an 18? too bad, my ld is 30!!!
The key to victory is the ratio of quantity divided by the ratio of quality multiplied by the points of an army, then times zero, minus how bad you roll dice on average.

Offline OD from TV

• Ork Warlord | Title of Doom status: pending | KoN Veteran
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • OD's Project Blog
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2010, 03:46:02 AM »
Usually with Orks the Ld value can be substituted with Mob size per the 'Mob Rule!' which is present on page 31.  This works with the majority of Ld tests including a Wyrdboy/Warphead, as described in the FAQ

HOWEVER one must look at how the issue of Leadership is addressed.  The 'Mob Rule' is specifically addressing any/all Ld checks that an "Ork Mob" might be called upon to make.  In this way we have to see the distinction between Unit and Individual.  The only Individual who is granted any luxury on the part of these Ld tests is the Wyrdboy/Warphead, and that is only due to that being clarified in the Errata of the FAQ (and also by the fluff, but fluff rarely figures into gameplay at the current date).

This being the case any shooting attack or Psychic attack that targets a single individual and forces them to make an Ld test is being considered an individual and therefore NOT as a unit.  In strictest legalese the model targeted would have a Mob Rule rating of 1, as the area of effect is only on that sole individual.

That being said Psychic powers such as an Eldar Farseer's Mind War or a Tyranid Broodlord's Hypnotic Gaze supersede or overwrite the protection of your Nobz (or any other target) through Mob Size.

While there isn't any way to get around the targetability of a Farseer (save range), there is a way to get around the Broodlord's power.  Simply don't allow your Nob (or Warboss, or any other Burna or Pk wearer) to get in Base Contact with the Broodlord, as the rules for Hypnotic Gaze (pg 62 of the new Tyranid Codex) state that his range is strictly limited to Base Contact.

Sadly unlike the Farseer a Broodlord will always have this Psychic Power at his disposal, where most Farseer's (at least that I've played against recently) are taking Fortune and Doom (and occasionally Guide) over Mind War.  The benefit though is that most Nid players I've gone up against don't take Broodlords since the new codex as they no longer fill an HQ and cost as much as 3 Genestealers or a single kitted out Warrior.

I believe this issue to be QED (Quod Erat Demonstrandum) in favor of the Nids and Eldar.

Peace
~OD
Truly beautiful work. That's the kind of stuff that makes a true mekanik cry tears of joy.
OD, you once again prove that your are still the freakin Da Vinci of plasticard