News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Why take a DeffDread as a troop choice?  (Read 895 times)

Offline Ollieb

• Ancient
  • I'm only here for the beer!
Why take a DeffDread as a troop choice?
« on: July 14, 2008, 09:04:03 PM »
I had figured they would be scoring units in the BRB but now it seems that vehicles aren't.  I never fill all my HS slots anyway and don't see the reason to take one as a troop unit.  About the only reason I could see it is if it is an RTT and you want to keep your troops % up.
Looking for a compliment here is like looking for a girlfriend in a cemetary.  You know you will probably not like what you dig up, but you'll take it anyway.

Offline Banned Solorg

• WAAAAAAAaaaaaban...
  • Orks is never beaten. only banned
    • Tellyport to the Ork Board Now
Re: Why take a DeffDread as a troop choice?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2008, 09:36:31 PM »
Maybe you just own lots of DeffDreads :)

Gotta admit - 4 of these would be pretty cool.  And these things get more hi-powered attacks than most cc guyz.
BANNED - because spamming catches up with you in the end.  Especially someone who uses a school server to host Orks and loli.

Orks iz BEST cause we were made to FIGHT and WIN

Offline OD from TV

• Ork Warlord | Title of Doom status: pending | KoN Veteran
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • OD's Project Blog
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2008, 04:14:19 AM »
I thought that all Troop choices in 5th counted as Scoring units unless they were transport vehicles.  Can't check the new book yet as for some reason despite having a copy on reserve I didn't get the new rulebook yet.

The reasoning for the extra Dread in the Heavy slot is that its a pricey model that is generally well accepted by Ork players as a great model, and if GW allows for more in an army logic dictates that they will make more money on one of the few great metal Ork kits.

More then just that it opens up a new sublist that I've heard some Ork players practically lusting over, a Ard as Nailz Tin Kan army.  Some people had a petition going around a while back for GW to make a sublist of them similar to the old KoS rules and the Eldar Wraith armies of Iyanden, where units of Killa Kanz could be counted as Troops, Dreads as Elites, and some kind of a halfway point between a Dread and a Stompa for a Heavy.

See the ability to take Dreads as a Troop choice as GW going halfway for those players, just like how GW went halfway to appease KoS players by letting Wazzdakka armies have Warbikes as troops (despite how Warbikes now lack their old Psycho Bikers rule which makes an army of Ork bikers kinda unimpressive).

Peace
~OD
Truly beautiful work. That's the kind of stuff that makes a true mekanik cry tears of joy.
OD, you once again prove that your are still the freakin Da Vinci of plasticard

Offline Raven

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2008, 04:24:40 AM »
Its purely to allow for Kan and Dread heavy lists. 6 Kans, 3 Dreads, 2 mechs, or something. GW are actually getting better at letting people have fun things to muck about with...

Offline OD from TV

• Lazerous Penguin
    • OD's Project Blog
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2008, 05:10:17 AM »
Depends on your perspective.  I for one miss taking 18 buggies in a 1500 point army, and I really don't like the idea that if I want to play a true Kult of Speed that I have to play Apoc, it just doesn't seem cool to me.

le sigh...

They are doing better then they have, and thankfully they did bring out a new Ork dex, now if only if they get on the ball and bring out new DE and actually fulfill the promise of bringing back Squats then I will agree that GW is on track (maybe then they can actually release the Harlequin Eldar codex that has been in the works for only 12 years.)

Peace
~OD
Truly beautiful work. That's the kind of stuff that makes a true mekanik cry tears of joy.

Offline Gutstikk

• Infinity Circuit | Title here to be dreaded 'til further notice. Rummy's Deepstriking Pylon
  • Ancient
  • I am a Wolf.
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2008, 06:34:31 AM »
Why field a deffdred as troops?Because they are awesome now, that's why. They can take advantage of cover saves, running, firing lots of weapons on the move, repairing, and will generally smash anything they lock in CC. Of course, the only time it's necessary is if you've used up the rest of your Heavy Support - if you've still got Heavy Support slots open, it's better off fielded from there. With me that's usually not a huge issue but some games I want to field my Flash Gitz, Killa Kan and Boomgun Wagon. This option lets me hang onto the dred as well.

Offline Banned Solorg

• WAAAAAAAaaaaaban...
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2008, 07:52:57 AM »
Depends on your perspective.  I for one miss taking 18 buggies in a 1500 point army, and I really don't like the idea that if I want to play a true Kult of Speed that I have to play Apoc, it just doesn't seem cool to me.

Can multiple detachments be done in 5E?  That might be another way to get more buggies.  Although if they don't count as scoring units and they can't be taken as Troop Choices, well, I admit life is still harder for the die-hard KOS.

re: DeffDread - I believe you're even allowed to DeepStrike this badboy in certain scenarios.  Imagine a unit of firewarriors glancing back over their shoulders and seeing that one of their number is a *little* bit taller!
« Last Edit: July 15, 2008, 07:54:49 AM by Boss Solorg »
BANNED - because spamming catches up with you in the end.  Especially someone who uses a school server to host Orks and loli.

Offline Sucker_PF3

• Grot
  • "Operate! Operate! Still time to Operate!"
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2008, 08:05:57 AM »
Yea when i feel like using my KFF mek and SAG mek, i usually just go all the way and make a make army. 6 killa kanz, 2 deaf dreadz, 10 gitz, lots of lootas, and shoota boyz.

It actually works better than you would think, if i run it, there are usually 3 trukks, 6 kanz, and 2 deff dreadz to shoot at. Target overload for certian armies. Of coarse against tau this list doesn't even make it out of the deployment zone, DAMN YOU rail cannons.

Offline Locarno

• Ork Boy
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Could I interest you in a small bribe?
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2008, 08:19:51 AM »
Despite not having any scoring units (at all  ;D ) I'm still tempted by a pure dread mob army.

I managed to pare it down to fit in all essential kit and get all five dreads plus two kustom force field meks in 750 points. Unsubtle but fun. And not necessarily garuanteed to lose every game - kill point games are fun (basically a case of 'hulk smash!') and whilst you can't claim objectives you can at least contest them.

Stories to read....
Songs of Earth
The Will to Survive Series

Tervigon Army List:
Games Played: 35
Termagants expended for the Hive Mind: ~2685

Offline Banned Solorg

• WAAAAAAAaaaaaban...
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2008, 09:34:01 AM »
Used to be able to hide a whole unit behind a line of Kanz.  This was great fun.  Now with the new TLOS rules, I think it wouldn't be too hard to trace a line between two Kanz to somebody in the unit behind.

Offline OD from TV

• Lazerous Penguin
    • OD's Project Blog
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2008, 09:50:26 AM »
maybe if you scratchbuild your kanz in a new manner this won't be such a problem.

If your kans aren't round, but square or Rectangle and then add on some big clunky arms that go down instead of straight out you could block more sight that way.

Oh...I forgot scratchbuilding minis in 40k is supposedly a "no-no" in 5th Edition.  damn gw
Peace
~OD