News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: George's Project - Duke Sliscus's Corsairs (name subject to change)  (Read 1695 times)

Offline Disciple of Nagash: GT

• Neophyte | Iron Skull recipient
  • Mike Mudd 2011 Sportsman Award recipient :)
After some time of tinkering, and figuring out everything, I've finally figured out a way that I could get my Dark Eldar army up and running, with a strategy that I like and a means to do it all. It has taken me a few months of figuring out everything. I'll give a little background on everything first before I go into what I'm going to be doing.

Several years ago, more than I can even remember now, I started the Dark Eldar. I picked up a few units here and there, really had no idea how they were supposed to be played, or anything like that. The only thing I really accomplished during this time was I figured out a scheme I really liked for the Dark Eldar, differing my schemes between the wyches and the warriors. I set down the hobby for several years without really putting much effort into the army.
When I came back to the hobby, my local GW was liquidating all the Dark Eldar models, so I was able to pick up almost 3 times what I had for next to nothing. Finally, I had the models for a complete army that could actually work. So I assembled my army together, consisting of mostly warriors and such, filling in the gaps here and there as the next couple of years went on....then it all came crashing down, the re-release of the Dark Eldar finally happened. My army was no longer valid. My HQ choices completely illegal now, along with most of my unit options.
After trying stuff and getting discouraged (the only legal HQ I owned was Lelith and Drazhar), I finally figured out what I wanted to do with everything and formed what I did have (with a couple of additions from the new line), into a working army. With this new list, so far I have been 7 games undefeated (2 of which are ties), and my general, Duke Sliscus, has yet to take a wound. He's run away twice, but has survived every game.

So what you say? Well, here's where everything comes in play. I'm a slow painter. VERY slow painter. Now having to start basically from scratch, replacing everything, I'll need to get painting a lot more. So here's what I'm planning on doing here. This is going to basically be my army, from relative start to finish for the Dark Eldar, including game results and all that jazz. Maybe I'll keep a tally of Sliscus' kill count even. I've got a couple tournaments coming up that I'm using the army in, so that's what I'll be building towards for then. In this next one, I'm sure Sliscus will suffer his first loss, but it's bound to happen some time.
What else am I going to do? Hammer out fluff. As much as I like Sliscus' fluff, it's not my own. So I'm going to be creating a character eventually to replace Sliscus with, using his rules just cause I love deepstriking everything :p

Anyways, where I'm at:
I've picked out schemes for my units, warriors are going to be dark blue armour (not sure the exact colour as they discontinued my midnight blue that I loved) highlighted up to an almost space wolves grey. Anyways, here's a picture:

My wyches, which are basically the backbone of the army, are going to be red armour plates over their jet black shiny leather.

Haven't figured out the raiders yet, but I'm working on it...

With that, here's my 1500 point tournament list that I'm going to be running in a little over a week:
HQ:
Duke Sliscus
Haemonculus - Shattershard
Elites:
7 Trueborn - 2 Splinter Cannons, 5 Shard Carbines, Dracon - Venom Blade, Raider - Flickerfield, Grisley Trophies
Troops
10 Warriors - Splinter Cannon, Blaster, Sybarite - Venom Blade, Raider - Flickerfield, Grisley Trophies
10 Wyches - Hexatrix - Agonizer, Raider - Flickerfield, Grisley Trophies
10 Wyches - Hexatrix - Agonizer, Raider - Flickerfield, Grisley Trophies
Heavy Support
Ravager - 3 Dark Lances, Flickerfield, Night Shield
Ravager - 3 Disintegrators, Flickerfield, Night Shield
Void Raven - Flickerfield, Night Shield, 4 Shatterfield Missiles

Anyways, that's where I'm at :)
Reset my counters in prep for 6th:
Black Templars: 0/0/0
Dark Eldar (new codex): 0/0/0

Re: George's Project - Duke Sliscus's Corsairs (name subject to change)
« Reply #1 on: February 3, 2011, 10:40:12 PM »
Well, first day has ended on the project, with Sliscus' first loss. Was crap personally, as I didn't do overly well in the game, just immobilize a chimera and that was it. Sliscus was given his first wound, failed his first save and it was to something that AD'd him so he was removed from the game right then and there. The list I used was my 1700 tournament list and I knew it wouldn't beat the Imperial Guard as I didn't have enough to get through 7 chimeras, 3 leman russ demolishers and 2 vendettas, so the game was pretty much a wash from the get go. I had 9 wyches survive the game, my one ravager and a trueborn. Game ended with one objective contested by both of us, and one controlled by him. Tis sad.

In other news, I picked up a few more paints. Yeah paints! So I can start working on warriors. I'm going to do up another test model before going into full production on them. Trying to figure out how to distinguish squads with them though, any suggestions would be helpful.

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2011, 12:23:07 AM »
Well, it's been a while, and not much has changed really. Sliscus has still been doing well, he's going into a tournament tomorrow with the 1500 point list above. All that's happened game wise was 2 games, one against Eldar which I lost due to kill points, though he was down to a falcon and a fire prism. Ran both Yriel and Eldrad away and sweeping advanced both of them down. Great times. Also was a game against Space Wolves. Can't remember the mission, I just remember almost tabling him.

In the model department, I picked up and assembled 2 ravagers. They are interesting models to do up. I thought the sponsons were going to be not near as sturdy as they actually are which is good.

In other news, I picked up a new digital camera. No more using my phone to take pictures. I've also gotten a new phone, traded the Blackberry Storm for an Apple iPhone, but this has nothing to do with anything really.

T-9 hours till tournament time tomorrow.

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2011, 04:40:56 PM »
Okay, major update time, and I'd hope so with 9 days since last posting.

A couple weekends ago, I played in a tournament in Woodstock Ontario at Spellbinder Hobbies and Games. Well, things didn't go quite as planned. First game I played a mostly bike Marines army with a couple speeders, a scout squad with Telion, a vindicator and a drop podding iron clad dread. Game ended in a massacre for me, which put me into high spirits for the second game.
Second game was against a Khorne Berzerker army which Kharne. I lost this game due to not parking a raider to contest an objective expecting the game to go to turn 6, unfortunately for me, it didn't, and even though I had the secondary objective in the bag, because I didn't contest the primary I went from a minor victory down to a major loss.
Third game was against Blood Angels. I decided to go with my usual deployment, heavies in reserve, everything else deepstriking. Well, my army came in pieces and each unit was shot out of the sky. I had hope towards the end when in the final turn, if 2 things went my way, I could have pulled out a complete tie. The trueborn needed to kill enough of a squad on the secondary objective to either wipe them out, or make them run and Sliscus needed to charge through cover at a unit to pull them off the primary. Well, with a bad initial move roll for Sliscus, and an even worse run, he was a half inch shy of making the assault. The trueborn on the other hand did their job and the squad ran, however, they were a 1/16th of an inch on the secondary still. Massacre.
Fourth and final game was Sliscus against Sliscus. Pretty uneventful game other than the feeling like my opponent was trying to fudge things around a bit. Either way, we weren't in the running for any prizes, so little mattered and I played on. I ended up with the major victory anyways.
My buddy however with his Space Wolves got Best General, though I stole his prize on him and got me another raider :)
Sliscus only died once that game and that was caused by another Sliscus and bad rolling on my part. He never lost the shadowfield though.

I also played in a local doubles tournament with my buddy's Eldar. The list went as followed:
Dark Eldar
Sliscus
7 Trueborn - 5 shard carbines, 2 splinter cannons, raider, flickerfield
10 Wyches - Hexatrix, agonizer, raider, flickerfield
10 Wyches - Hexatrix, agonizer, raider, flickerfield
Ravager - 3 lances, flickerfield, night shields
Ravager - 3 disintegrators, night shields, flickerfield
Eldar
Yriel
9 Dire Avengers, Exarch, dual catapults, Bladestorm, Defend, Wave Serpent, shuriken cannons, vectored engines, spirit stones
5 Dire Avengers
Falcon - holofields, shuriken cannons, spirit stones
Falcon - holofields, shuriken cannons, spirit stones
Fire Prism - holofields, spirit stones
Won't go into too much detail, but first game against Imperial Guard and Eldar, we massacred them, second game against Nids and Nids, we massacred them, third game against Dark Angels and Chaos Marines, we massacred them, fourth game against Nids and Eldar, ironically almost tabling them, but because my 20 wyches couldn't kill Eldrad, though they somehow killed off something like 7 wraithguard and a spiritseer in the same combat, it was just a major victory. We picked up $100 in product giving me another warrior squad and an archon model.
Sliscus killed an entire Termagaunt squad by himself, took a wound off a Carnifex, and finished off a Trygon, though did die once in the day to a Termagaunt squad... First wound taken from them, rolled a 1, lost the shadowfield, but made the feel no pain, second and third rolled 2 more 1's for his armour save, and rolled 3's for feel no pain.

Now for the part everyone's been waiting for, pictures of progress:
Wych Squad 1:

Wych Squad 2:

and my Duke Sliscus cause I don't think he's ever been shown off online: