News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Converting Some Sort of Plastic Marines to Grey Knights  (Read 6267 times)

Offline Saracenar

• Skarboy Nob
  • "Ugh..."
  • Armies: Malifaux :P
Converting Some Sort of Plastic Marines to Grey Knights
« on: May 6, 2009, 06:46:38 AM »
Greetings everyone, as my title suggests I am here today to ask the question: how possible is it to convert regular tactical marines into Grey Knights?

So far I have tracked down the nemesis force weapon sets from GW online site, so no need for converting them. Observing the current GK models I believe I could change tac marine helmets easy enough with green stuff, and I think I have access to many a number of spare purity seals.

Now, whats a little harder: Storm Bolters. I do not really have access to any of them. I think I may have one or two in a bitz box somewhere...

So, how would you go about converting, say, regular bolters to storm bolters? Or if there's something just as accessible but easier to work on, then please tell me.

And for anyone who has already done this, please tell me how it went, and was it worth the money?
« Last Edit: May 7, 2009, 05:09:20 AM by Saracenar »

Offline CallumS

• Defected to the Greater Good
Re: Converting Tactical Marines to Grey Knights
« Reply #1 on: May 6, 2009, 07:01:31 AM »
This is probably a very stupid question, but: would it not be easier to just convert the already existent Grey Knight models?

Offline Saracenar

• Skarboy Nob
  • "Ugh..."
« Reply #2 on: May 6, 2009, 07:08:39 AM »
I want to take plastic tactical marines (which are cheaper and more numerous in box sets, and plastic ;D) and convert them into Grey Knights in power armour, instead of using the rather less numerous metal models.
« Last Edit: May 6, 2009, 07:10:15 AM by Saracenar »

Offline SMVaughn

• "I am and always shall be your friend." - LN
  • Armies: Space Marines, Dark Angels, Eldar, Chaos Marines
« Reply #3 on: May 6, 2009, 07:11:13 AM »
No question is a stupid question Johan Chill. However I believe he is trying to limit his cost at purchasing and have fun modeling.

As for storm bolters... you could try combining two bolt pistols side by side and green stuffing the seams a little to hide the combination. Cut the ends of the pistols off, and replace with green stuff, or bolt gun ends.

I have never offically tried this method, hope it helps.

Cheers

Offline CallumS

« Reply #4 on: May 6, 2009, 07:34:59 AM »
Ah, the old wallet-hammer resistance, aye? ;) Very fair call, indeed.

As for storm bolters... you could try combining two bolt pistols side by side and green stuffing the seams a little to hide the combination.

I've seen this done to great effect a few times actually; and, though maybe it's just me, I think it looks even better than the usual Stormbolters. Less chunky and generally more stylish.

Offline Saracenar

• Skarboy Nob
  • "Ugh..."
« Reply #5 on: May 6, 2009, 07:36:33 AM »
Bolt pistols do sound like a good idea, however...I'm not sure if I could get 20 pistols that easily. Does anyone happen to know if they come in the tac squad box sets? If not, I may have trouble rounding up enough of them.

Offline SMVaughn

• "I am and always shall be your friend." - LN
  • Armies: Space Marines, Dark Angels, Eldar, Chaos Marines
« Reply #6 on: May 6, 2009, 07:43:40 AM »
I think they do  come in the box, as I know I usually have a few left over. I do not generally use them ... as for 20 ... hmmm... could always try to cast a mold of one... then you can green stuff as many as you want... even have a couple on the hip for show... but that depends on your personal desire in acquireing them...

Could always try local Game store and offer trades for pistols or try a part order... but that ends up increasing your costs some.

Offline CallumS

« Reply #7 on: May 6, 2009, 07:50:29 AM »
Those kinds of Bitz can often be mail ordered from the Trollz as well.

Offline Raktra (So long, I guess)

• Skarboy | Ripper | Princess of Baal
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Armies: Grey Knights
« Reply #8 on: May 6, 2009, 07:50:55 AM »
See if any of your friends have spare parts from Assault Marines or the Black Templars upgrade sprues. They both have numerous power weapons, bolt pistols, and the BT sprue has plenty of Grey Kngith style heads.

Offline Raven

« Reply #9 on: May 6, 2009, 09:13:21 AM »
Buy the space wolves marines boxed sets instead. Theyre the standard marines, but with close combat arms. Will give you more of the parts you need to work with.

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
« Reply #10 on: May 6, 2009, 09:17:18 AM »
Using robbed marine bodies will help save a lot of work...You can order sets of 10 robbed marines for ~30 bucks Canadian from the GW online store (local stores can order it in you you), which is around the same as a box of any other marine 10 man set. Doesn't contain special weapons or bases however, but the former you don't need and the later you can buy in bulk.

I think there are bolt pistols with it too, or at least bolters which are easy to turn into bolt pistols.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline SkullyChaos

• Hook Em' Horns!
« Reply #11 on: May 6, 2009, 02:27:21 PM »
I ended up with a boat load of tac marines, and was considering the same thing.

It is a great idea, as the metal ones are expensive, but I didn't think my GS skills were up to it to try and make those helmets.
If you have the skill, you could cast your own though.
That was the major thing holding me back from attempting this.

As for bodies, Dark Angel vets, or BT models could work very well, and cut down on the amount of work needed to do it. (as Killersquid said)

You can definitely get bolt pistols off of just about any sprue. I have ~10 - 15 in my bitz box from scouts, assault marines and CSM tac squads. I am going to use them to make storm bolter's for my SM army. Seems a very easy conversion.

Also, you wouldn't necessarily need the GW NFW arms, as I think it would be cooler to have more swords/axes/maces etc. as NFW. Who said they HAVE to be halberds?

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
« Reply #12 on: May 6, 2009, 02:48:57 PM »

Also, you wouldn't necessarily need the GW NFW arms

It does however, make it that much more convincing.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline SkullyChaos

• Hook Em' Horns!
« Reply #13 on: May 6, 2009, 03:28:06 PM »
The shoulder pads.. yes
the weapons... no.
I maintain that I would like a NF axe as a weapon...
but thats just my personal preference...

• Ancient
« Reply #14 on: May 6, 2009, 03:46:58 PM »

I maintain that I would like a NF axe as a weapon...

That is fine, You like like them in any form you want. But I feel that if your trying to make something, look like something else it's not, it's best to go with what people expect from Grey Knights. When people think grey knight weapons, they don't think axes. They think glaves. Thus, if your converted greyknights have the glaves and the rest of the arm-bitz then they will have a much more familiar presence to  what grey knights are.

When you see a marine with an axe, it means absolutely nothing, expect maybe Khorne Berserkers or such nonsense. It could work if you already have the 'actual' grey knights, as you have the rest of the model already there for people to recognize. When your going from scratch, it's best to not make the work harder for you in the creation of a representation of a grey knight.

Harlequin Army Blog

Azore of Austria

Offline Lucky_Jackal

• I feel akword
  • "What can I say? It's not my cup of tea."
« Reply #15 on: May 6, 2009, 03:50:06 PM »
Instead of tactical marines you could make them from assault marines not using the jump packs. Then you could have a bunch of running Grey knights and have 10/20 bolt pistols come right with the base modles. The other 10 pistols you'd be on your own to find.

A bits web sight such as Bitskingdom would probably be a good place to get them.

(Sadly Assault Marines are $25 for 5. So these you whould want to get from TheWarstore, Bitskingdom, discount web sight of your choice to cheep down your coats.
« Last Edit: May 6, 2009, 03:53:53 PM by Lucky_Jackal »

Offline Saracenar

• Skarboy Nob
  • "Ugh..."
« Reply #16 on: May 7, 2009, 02:08:06 AM »
Hmm, some very interesting suggestions have come up. I have considered assault marines, but due to their cost have discounted them. Those 10 robed marines, I am not sure where to find them on the site, but I would prefer for them to come with special weapons, to use for something else I am working on. So for now they are discounted too.

I did, however, stumble across the plastic Dark Angels Veterans set. They are plenty cheap for me, and would come with some nice looking options/weapons. I really like the looks of the robes.

However, one problem springs to mind here: I cannot really paint clothes/fabrics that well. A minor setback.

In any case, at the moment the veterans + nemesis force weapons seem the best way to go for me. Looking at the picture on the GW site, it looks like the top left-most Veteran is holding a storm bolter.

Can anyone inform me what you get on the Dark Angels Veterans sprue (if this is allowed)?

• Ancient
« Reply #17 on: May 7, 2009, 08:40:53 AM »

Can anyone inform me what you get on the Dark Angels Veterans sprue (if this is allowed)?

this picture should tell you everything there is in the box.

Plus two more marines, plasma pistols, meltagun, flamer, plasmagun.
Harlequin Army Blog

Azore of Austria

Offline Lucky_Jackal

• I feel akword
  • "What can I say? It's not my cup of tea."
Re: Converting Some Sort of Plastic Marines to Grey Knights
« Reply #18 on: May 7, 2009, 03:39:37 PM »
What about the Black Templar Sword brothers? Don't they come with a bunch of pistols and Special weapons?

Offline Saracenar

• Skarboy Nob
  • "Ugh..."
Re: Converting Some Sort of Plastic Marines to Grey Knights
« Reply #19 on: May 7, 2009, 05:06:29 PM »
I had a look at the sword brothers, but I think I liked the Veterans more. Thanks Killersquid, thats exactly what I was looking for.