News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: WH mechinized force concept list at 2000pts  (Read 996 times)

Offline 0verKill_235

• Greasing tank treads with xeno filth since 2005.
WH mechinized force concept list at 2000pts
« on: April 10, 2007, 07:15:21 PM »
Greetings.

While patrolling my empty work place this Easter, I came up with a WH force that utilized mechanized storm trooper infantry and fast attack units for rapid movement as well a a large Sister a Battle squad that could put down concentrated bolter fire, charge and tie unmounted targets. I geared my HQ squad for close combat and a Chimera to get them there.
A assassin for neutralizing important characters, targets, and annoyance. A Seraphim squad for harassment and tacking out vehicles wit krack grenades. And Grey Knight Terminators for when things really need to die, really badly, in a gruesome-yet- effective manner.
A foreseeable draw back is that  bad placement or good enemy shooting can tear up my rhinos and sisters early in the game. And the lack of antitank weapons makes me slightly unconformable (I'm a Guard player who loves his lascannon squads).
But I wanted a list that looks and feels fun to play as well as win with. Please give me any advice and constructive criticisms. I want to put a good list together before I start to drop serious dough on some over price GW made M113 models.*

2000 pt Witch Hunter Army
3 Faith Points

HQ: 308 pts
Inquisitor Lord w/ power armor**, Rosarius, inferno pistol, power weapon, auspex.
Psyker power: His Will be Done!
Henchmen: 2X Crusaders, 1X Combat Servitor, 1X Familiar, 1X Chirurgeon, 1X Acolyte w/ mancatcher, carapace armor.
Transport: Chimera w/ hull bolter, multilaser.

Elites: 390 pts
Callidus Assassin
GK Terminators (4 w/ 1 Brother Captain) 1X psycannon

Troops: 948 pts
Storm trooper squad w/ 1 Vet, 1x Grenada launcher, 1x flamer, Rhino transport 175
Storm trooper squad w/ 1 Vet, 1x Grenada launcher, 1x flamer, Rhino transport 175
Storm trooper squad w/ 1 Vet, 2X plasma gunners, 1 Rhino transport 180
Storm trooper squad w/ 1 Vet, 2X melta gunners, 1 Rhino transport 180
18 Sisters of Battle w/ 1 Vet Superior, 2X stormbolters, Book of St. Lucius 238 

Fast Attack: 140 pts
5X Seraphim w/ Vet Superior equipped with power weapon, sister with twin inferno pistols, Book of St. Lucius.

Heavy Support: 214
Retributior Squad (5 sisters, 1 vet superior), 2X heavy bolter, 2X multi-melta
Imolator w/ heavy flamers

*- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M113_Armored_Personnel_Carrier
I guess you can't keep a good design from the 40th Millennium .

**- stupid question but does the Inquisitor need power armor when a +3 up save is already in his stats? Just taking percautions.
Death before Dismount!

Offline Draza

• Ancient
Re: WH mechinized force concept list at 2000pts
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2007, 08:39:50 PM »
Looks like a nice list, although does have some fairly big weaknesses in it. The main one is the anti-tank problem which you've noted yourself. If you could drop the Retributors and a few other items, you could fit in two Exorcists to help you with that problem. Otherwise you'll have to rely on tanks getting within range of your weapons.

*Inquistor lord comes with power armour, no need to purchase
*Auspex isn't needed, he's not a shooty squad. Try to get excruciators for the Lord. Cheap and effective.
*The retinue set up isn't exactly the best cc, but I', no good constructing ][, so I tend to not comment on them

*For some extra anti-tank, giving the Seraphim an Eviscerator is always handy if you have the points (although two infernos should get the job done)

*Consider dropping the grenade launchers from the storm troopers. Much better weapons for when you get within 12" of the enemy, which your planning on doing

Gotta say nice pick up with the M113. Modern day rhino alright :)

Offline Ixe

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2007, 09:42:59 PM »
Don't make a stormtrooper army based on rhinos.  That is, I'm sad to say, a bad idea.  If you want a rhino rush army, use Sisters.  Sisters in a rhino are ultimate fury death.  Stormtroopers in a rhino are flashlight tickling sadness.  No divine guidance = please don't rush up into rapid fire range.  Your men will thank you.

The primary reason why stormtroopers make sense at all, in the first place, is that they can take chimeras.  That is the only thing that makes them compare to Sisters.  If you take rhinos, you're ripping yourself off.  1 point for power armor alone would be a deal, but for the 1 point upgrade to a Sister, you get power armor, bolters, AND faith.

Chimeras are great tanks - good firepower, decent front armor, and useful for those last few turns to load up and take objectives.  Stormtrooper armies should be based on mid-range shooting, not suicidal rhino rushing.  Sisters, with their power armor and Faith, can actually survive when they act suicidally.  Stormtroopers, with their carapace armor and noted lack of faith, can't.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2007, 09:44:33 PM by Ixe »

Offline Black Sword

• Finish painting your last mini and you die...
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2007, 01:59:29 AM »
"I find your lack of faith disturbing..."

Sorry, couldn't help myself...  :-[

Ixe has the truth of it.

The Grey Knight "surprise" is kinda cute.  Gives you a good punch, but some people may cry "cheese!"  If they do, tell them it goes well with their whine.

I think the Inq Lord is pretty sucky.  I would use a Cannoness for your HQ, and use the cheap Elite Inquisitor to facilitate your Assasin.  My personal opinion is that the current Retinue is problematic.  Remember that as long as they are all alive, your Inq is NOT an IC, and *if* they break and run below half strength, you have problems...

Just my thoughts.  If this isn't for a tournament, go ahead and try it out and see what you like.

Oh yeah.... HAVE FUN!!
Chapter Master,
Ordo Pacificus chapter,

40K Fight Club