News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Need help painting Forgeworld Avatar  (Read 1330 times)

Offline Seth the Dark

• On the Maiden world called "Earth"
Need help painting Forgeworld Avatar
« on: August 24, 2008, 03:21:15 PM »
I just recently bought a Forgeworld Avatar, put it together and primed it white. I need help on how to paint the fiery effect that comes with being an Avatar. Thanks
"They say the Darkness consumes you. They don't say what happens after It's done."

Offline Khain Mor (/kharandhil)

• <3 huskblades
    • Dark Moon Kabal
Re: Need help painting Forgeworld Avatar
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2008, 04:35:32 PM »
daimit, I hate you! you got a cool avatar and don't know how to paint him...sigh...

Now about that fiery effect, you obviously will need to paint it in yellow, but what really brings out that effect is how you paint everything else...

Once you've picked nice colors for your avatar (preferably dark colors, to bring out the yellow even more) the yellow will come out naturally.
Mixing some yellow+ a lil white might make it extra shinier and you can always add some varnish, however...yellow, espeically the bright yellows are always very fluo and shiny even without varnish...

You should also take great care of the the whole blending process. (keep the insides yellow, near the outside of the armor make it look like more orange...all depends from what color you're gonna paint the armor in...

I rly hope you do a great painting job on this model...he's just too good be painted like an average model...
The Dark Moon Kabal ,possibly the biggest DE army ever!
over 20k and awesome, what more do you need to click? (last updated the 02/03/2012)

Nothing better than killing a thousand slaves to wake up in the morning.

Offline Raven

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2008, 06:34:03 PM »
clicky

Try something like that maybe? Varying shades of orange, from reddy orange through to yellowy orange in the cracks, with a dark black/brown crust.

I personally inverse the look, with dark cracks and an orange surface, as I feel it makes the avatar look much more fiery, dispite not being realistic. Its personal preference though.

Offline Skeeve

• Brushmaster 5000
    • My painting Blog
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2008, 11:50:34 AM »
You forger everything you have been taught so far and everything upside down (or rather inside out). You recesses will be the brightest part. Something like sunburst yellow, or even sunbusrt yellow+white.
The flat surface of plates will be the darkest, how dark it is up to you. I change it on mine - legs and arms are "colder" so I go all the way to black with light purplish wash the body is "hotter" so I stop at very dark red; it has to be red gore+some dark brown, possibly scorched brown, I am using Valejo and I use burned carmin for this. Alternatively you can stop at Violet-red , again Valejo has this color, for GW you have to experiment, probably a mix of some red with Liche purple.

How you blend in between is really depends on you. I go orange road, starting from fiery orange and slowly adding dark red to it brushing from the periphery to the center of the armor plates.

Anyway, I will post WIP of my avatar as soon as I nail down the color for his cuirass before I proceed to the head and the helmet.

Offline Seth the Dark

• On the Maiden world called "Earth"
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2008, 09:54:11 PM »
Thanks for the replies guys. I think I will go the traditional "fiery" route.
"They say the Darkness consumes you. They don't say what happens after It's done."