News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: First 7th Ed list  (Read 4292 times)

Offline CheesyRobMan

• Burna Mek
First 7th Ed list
« on: July 3, 2014, 02:52:02 PM »
Well despite my initial disappointment in the codex I have decided to reserve further opinions until I actually play with it. And with that in mind I have put together a list from the new book - Skeet, I think you'll like this one:

Warboss, twin-linked shoota, power klaw, warbike, eavy armour, bosspole

12 Slugga Boyz, Nob, power klaw, bosspole
Trukk, red paint job, extra armour, boarding plank

11 Slugga Boyz, Nob, power klaw, bosspole
plus Weirdboy

11 Burnas, Mek, kustom mega-blasta

15 Warbikers, Nob, power klaw, bosspole

15 Warbikers, Nob, power klaw, bosspole

Dakkajet, red paint job, additional supa shoota

1850pts.

Bikes and trukks everywhere, burnas and PKs for armour busting, dakkajet for anti-flyer duty and lots of scoring to grab objectives. Plus the Weirdboy because not taking a psyker these days effectively means your opponent gets an extra phase to attack you each turn.

I have all the models (I think), although quite a few of them aren't painted yet, mostly the warbikes. So this at least gives me a bit of focus in terms of which of the many (many many) Orks to paint next.
« Last Edit: July 3, 2014, 02:53:40 PM by CheesyRobMan »
"Where's the kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth-shattering kaboom!" - Marvin the Martian

Offline OD from TV

• Ork Warlord | Title of Doom status: pending | KoN Veteran
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • OD's Project Blog
Re: First 7th Ed list
« Reply #1 on: July 6, 2014, 08:37:26 PM »
I wish you good luck Cheesy, I just tried my first Ork 7th Edition game a couple hours ago with the new book (which I finally got from the post office).  It wasn't exactly my finest game, and the new version of Mob Rule was ridiculously stupid.  First game I've had in a long time using Trukks... I don't think I'll be making the investment on upgrading my old Trukk models to the current range, they're going to be shelved for quite some time.

My advice is to keep your Trukks in as much LoS blocking cover as possible.  I know that's often counter-intuitive to the function of Trukks speeding towards the enemy, but Trukk explosions are deadly horrible.  With Ramshackle no longer really doing anything anymore, the mob taking the explosion damage, then a Pinning Test, and then a Morale test... it was horrible.  I didn't get a single Trukk anywhere close to an enemy unit, and the survivors were piecemeal knockoffs.  Again I say best of luck Cheesy, I hope your Trukk mobs fare better than mine did.

With the Boys, since they're unpainted I'll throw you this bit of advice that would have served me well when I started my Waaagh.  When painting pick really easy ways to differentiate unit to unit, I like having different colored shirts.  Having that difference makes gameplay much easier and you won't get mixed as to what models are in what units when they get close together.

Peace
~OD

Post Script: I think Trukk armies will work a lot better if you follow the Ork Warband formation.  Giving the Boyz who don't have their Trukks gimped Hammer of Wrath, and getting to call a Waagh each turn till the Warboss is killed would be very helpful.  Moreso if you play counter to Ork fluff and hide the Warboss in a mess of Grots with the best LoS blocking cover in your deployment zone.  Not exactly a playstyle I like, but when your army looses Waaagh when the Boss dies, its the only way to play that Formation.
Truly beautiful work. That's the kind of stuff that makes a true mekanik cry tears of joy.
OD, you once again prove that your are still the freakin Da Vinci of plasticard

Offline SKEETERGOD

• Infinity Circuit | Boss Orkountant | I used Flash Gitz and didn't lose! | KoN Warlord
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • The best upgrade for an ork, is more orks!
  • Armies: Hmmmm.... Orks?
« Reply #2 on: July 8, 2014, 07:28:42 PM »
I love the list, looks a bit like mine (sans bikes)  8)

You can save some serious points by dropping the planks and the red paint. Seems both of these items got nerffffffff'd this codex, but keep the color red as it is just the propa thing to do. If you want to have your trucks attacking things this codex you will need wrecking balls now.

I highly recommend the reinforced ram, it now adds two to your front armor, and can make your truck a viable rammer now, as it will ram at strength six (with the ram), not to mention the reroll for difficult terrain tests is still valuable, and it is cheaper in points than the ram.

The jury is still out on the extra armor, I will watch and see if you think it is worth it.

The lots of truck boys is a great list, I use it all the time. Good hunting...  ;D
"It needs but one foe to breed a war. And even those who have not swords can still die upon them" (Lady Eowyn)
     We orks are not about being the hero; We orks are about being the mob.

Quote from: angel of death 007
Skeetergod: (adj) A crazy fascination for all things combustible mixed with an unhealty lust for red paint. see also Speed Freak

Offline OD from TV

• Lazerous Penguin
    • OD's Project Blog
« Reply #3 on: July 8, 2014, 08:15:09 PM »
I highly recommend the reinforced ram, it now adds two to your front armor, and can make your truck a viable rammer now, as it will ram at strength six (with the ram), not to mention the reroll for difficult terrain tests is still valuable, and it is cheaper in points than the ram.

It did in the last book to.

As I failed to mention it in my last response, be very wary of Snipers, with the change to Waaagh, you have to really be careful with your Warlord if you want to get off a Waaagh, and how Sniper Rifles are Precision on a 6, not to mention the Alaitioc character Illic Nightspear who always shoots Precision and lets an Eldar player bring Pathfinders which are also always Precision shots, you gotta be careful with such an important IC.

Be sure to let us know how this army faires, we all gotta help each other learn the ropes of this new book

Peace
~OD
Truly beautiful work. That's the kind of stuff that makes a true mekanik cry tears of joy.

Offline Ork E Nuff

• Ork Boy
  • 'ere WE go, 'ere WE go, 'ere WE go!!!!!
  • Armies: Orks, SM (occassionally)
« Reply #4 on: July 9, 2014, 02:46:05 PM »
Cheesy:  Like your list, lots of troops which I think is a good thing.  My only question:  where's your WB located in your list?  Where does he ride, or does he stride up the middle defying pot shots and snipers?  How has it played?

OD:  your battle is a bit disheartening...I was beginning to re-think my infantry based approach, but if trukks are almost a liability, then why bother?  At least I still have my battle wagon...I may have to rethink points and transports...and planes...and psykers...and anti-air...and BAMMMM!!!! (that was my head exploding...) :o

Blood n Guts is nuffin more dan bio-d-gradible axle grease.....Remember, that which does not kill you, will only try harder the next time...I've named me attack squig "Skippy"....is that wrong?

Offline OD from TV

• Lazerous Penguin
    • OD's Project Blog
« Reply #5 on: July 9, 2014, 05:44:31 PM »
Trukk mobs are incredibly difficult now.  At least in my opinion.  If a unit of Trukk boyz has their ride blow up, it only takes 3 casualties to trigger a Morale Check.  With the explosion Str no longer lowered due to the old Ramshackle rule, there are more Wounds being passed about, and you can't forget that you have to take that Pinning test, which if you have to roll on the Mob Chart can/will cause a couple extra casualties, possibly forcing a Morale Check.  The new mob rule is super harsh and I don't feel it was play tested very well.

That said are Trukk boyz a thing of the past?  I don't know, but its doubtful that I'll be running Trukks very much if ever.  Orks are supposed to be fun loving and not worry about a couple other guys in the mob dying, but that doesn't mean they are necessarily suicidal. 

As I have said multiple times in the past, my experience is not going to necessarily be your experience.  It is a dice game after all, which of course leads to a level of randomness, but there are multiple factors about that will invariably alter each of our experiences from one another, the easy ones to spot would be the game table, terrain, opponent's army, and the opponent himself.

where's your WB located in your list?
I can't speak for Cheesy, but I do believe that the Boss rides with one of the Bike mobz seeing how he has a Bike and all bikes have the Very Bulky USR. Hmm now there's a thought, a small mob of Bikes can ride in a Trukk which is now a Fast Attack option instead of just a Dedicated Transport.  That could be interesting.

Peace
~OD

Offline Warlord Argh

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2014, 09:50:19 AM »
WOW bikes in a trukk, so the trukk moves 6, the bikes disembark 12 and charge a poss 12.  Nice range....I assume there is not a rule anywhere that this is illegal?  obviously you cannot charge the first turn?  That is the rule for scout and infiltrate, what about this?  can this be a viable turn 1 charge?  I will have to check if all turn one charges are not allowed.

Offline davethemadorc

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2015, 07:10:44 PM »
posting here to liven up the orx.

seriously bikes IN trucks - grasping at straws. !

however 'hiding' behind the trukk - definite possibility.

and orks 'dont shoot' - just carry noisy weapons. twin linked weapons are permissible ! but to speed up your games [unless playing t3 humies] just dispense with shooting anything other than TL whizz-bangs or bike guns [grotz can still shoot - cos they is not good at gettin stukk in]

Offline OD from TV

• Lazerous Penguin
    • OD's Project Blog
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2015, 01:39:00 PM »
Well in the days of old this would probably be considered thread necromancy, but since the board is pretty dead, why not.

My original idea is invalid in the current edition of the rules.  Despite all Bikes being given the Very Bulky USR, in the current core rulebook you can't put them on a Transport.  Something I possibly should have looked up those 7-8 months ago before posting the idea, but the rules reference as to why they can't be mounted is pg 80 of the core rules, the second sentence (which is actually in bold) under the title of Transport Capacity.

WOW bikes in a trukk, so the trukk moves 6, the bikes disembark 12 and charge a poss 12.
Even if Bikes could be mounted in a Trukk, due to the Transport rules they could only Disembark 6, just like a SMurf Stormraven disembarking an Assault Squad.

Its a bummer as Trukk mounted Bikers would certainly give me something to be excited with this codex.  Its a real shame, but after all these months I still haven't gotten over the hump on this new codex.

Peace
~OD

Offline davethemadorc

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #9 on: March 1, 2015, 08:18:12 PM »
lol. sorry . hadnt even noticed.

i ran an 8 truck list the other day - one trukk even survived until the end - they do have 3 hull points now !

i think heavy armour is a must, and just choppas -

and although my trukks are yellow [its the new gold and white] its a matter of 'get in their face' by turn two !

Offline Grand Master Lomandalis

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
  • We were murderers first, last, and always!
  • Armies: Dark Angels, Custodes, Knights, Night Lords
« Reply #10 on: March 1, 2015, 11:12:14 PM »
Don't worry about the necromancy.  The rules were updated last year allowing slower boards to have posts made in threads that were still on the front page.
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
Well I always liked the globals...
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...

Offline SKEETERGOD

• Infinity Circuit | Boss Orkountant | I used Flash Gitz and didn't lose! | KoN Warlord
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • The best upgrade for an ork, is more orks!
  • Armies: Hmmmm.... Orks?
« Reply #11 on: March 2, 2015, 05:51:25 PM »
To salve your hurt, I can assure you that loads of truck boys are still viable. My current list is as follows:

Force org 1
Warboss; heavy armor, big choppa, TL shoota, boss pole (sometimes I pay the points for the head whoppa)
11 ard boys in truck with ram.

12 boys in truck with ram, one upgraded to nob with PK

Two squadrons of five death coptas

One squadron of two rockit buggies.

Force org 2;
Big mek with shoota and heavy armor
11 shoota boys in a truck with ram and wrecking ball

12 boys in truck with ram, one upgraded to nob with big choppa

Two squadrons of three rockit buggies

One dakka jet with extra guns and ace upgrade

one burna bomma with 4 burna bomms

Force org 3;
big mek with shoota
11 shoota boys in truck with ram and wrecking ball

12 boys in truck one upgraded to nob with ram

Two squadrons of 2 rockit buggies

One dakka jet with extra guns (if I need a few more points I add in ace)

All this for a tad less than 2k points  :D

For games over 2k I add in another force org chart

Big mek
11 boys in truck with ram and ball

12 boys in truck with ram on upgraded to nob with big choppa

15 lootas in a BW with 4 rockits and ram

While it took a few games to work out the kinks and adapt to the new rules, I finally figured it out. I am now about win as many as I lose (as opposed to loosing every game). so I am happy with my orks now, as technically we never lose, just sometimes, we don't win. This way I am always welcome to play rematches as I don't have a death star army, but I have a speed freak army that is all painted red and ready to rock.

Tacktiks are get close and get boys in combat before turn three as that seems to be the turn that all the trucks blow up. Using my dakka jets to shoot down enemy planes, while the rockit buggies and coptas to twin link shoot at armor. The coptas sometimes out flank to get at juicy rear area targets that are lobbing big stuff at me, but most times start on the board.

While I am definitely not even remotely good enough for tourney play, it is still a fun army to play at my local and with friends.

So, stop trying to make excuses, the speed freaks still ride on.. :o
"It needs but one foe to breed a war. And even those who have not swords can still die upon them" (Lady Eowyn)
     We orks are not about being the hero; We orks are about being the mob.

Quote from: angel of death 007
Skeetergod: (adj) A crazy fascination for all things combustible mixed with an unhealty lust for red paint. see also Speed Freak