News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Anti Air Ideas Anyone?  (Read 1923 times)

Offline SKEETERGOD

• Infinity Circuit | Boss Orkountant | I used Flash Gitz and didn't lose! | KoN Warlord
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • The best upgrade for an ork, is more orks!
  • Armies: Hmmmm.... Orks?
Anti Air Ideas Anyone?
« on: May 20, 2015, 07:46:05 AM »
At my local air power seems to be a meta. Most opponents take a minimum of two flyers and some as many as six. While I wipe out their ground forces the majority of the game is spent taking casualties from strafing flyers.

One IG player (I know, they are called something else now) has a full air assault army and calls them the 101st Screaming Eagles. Almost all planes with payloads of grave chute troops. Sure did make a mess of my army. Not because he was a great general, although his army is beautifully painted, but because I just could not shoot down enough planes to stop the losses.

I don't have the grot guns and don't intend to invest in them as they don't really fit into my speed freakishness, (too bad I can't mount them on a truck) and taking a truck/BW full of lootas seems to be the only reasonable cure. But, (there is always a "but") I don't always take the lootas, as they are not part of my take all comers list.

Yes I take a dakkajet, I own two, but I like having lots of trucks and coptas to swarm the board with, lots of fun.

However, and the point of this post; is to find out what the rest of you use to take out air power.

I have tried the five flash git squad in a truck/looted wagon, the ten lootas in a truck/ fifteen in a BW. While these do work ok, they are point intensive and take away from my copta swarms.

What do you use as your anti air? Let me know, I look forward to reading your ideas, tips and tricks for swatting pesky flying things out of the air... ;D
"It needs but one foe to breed a war. And even those who have not swords can still die upon them" (Lady Eowyn)
     We orks are not about being the hero; We orks are about being the mob.

Quote from: angel of death 007
Skeetergod: (adj) A crazy fascination for all things combustible mixed with an unhealty lust for red paint. see also Speed Freak

Offline waylander1983

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Re: Anti Air Ideas Anyone?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2015, 03:29:25 PM »
 to solve my flier problem i sent out some boys to loot a couple of imprial vendettas. guard ballistic skill fits the grots i have flying my conversions and the restrictions of come the apoc allies r easily dodged with fliers. as i play death skulls it fits the theme of my army as i also have a looted baneblade(battle wagon) landraider(battle wagon) land speeders(deff kopters) dreadnought(deff dread)leman russ (looted wagon). I'm thinkin of converting some slave guardsmen to go in my vendettas because whose to say orks cant loot people to lol.

Offline Ork E Nuff

• Ork Boy
  • 'ere WE go, 'ere WE go, 'ere WE go!!!!!
  • Armies: Orks, SM (occassionally)
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2015, 06:07:35 PM »
Have you thought about the heavy tracked flak wagon that is mentioned in IA8?  I know it has the anti-aircraft rule, and being mobile, shouldn't slow down your KOS army.  I built one from scratch...well, actually Revele (sp?) supplied the basis, I did all the big gun work.  It came with a .50 cal quad gun and is 1/32 or 1/35 scale.  Add some plates, and super charged motor, the grots everywhere, and viola (although I'm not sure what a big violin has to do with this...).  I also used lootas against a flyer once with a modicum of success.
Blood n Guts is nuffin more dan bio-d-gradible axle grease.....Remember, that which does not kill you, will only try harder the next time...I've named me attack squig "Skippy"....is that wrong?

Offline angel of death 007

• Dreadbash Warboss | KoN Veteran
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2015, 10:52:48 PM »
Traktor guns, scratch built or semi scratch built is the best way.

Offline Wyldhunt

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2015, 12:31:43 AM »
well, those screaming eagles are a very specialized list that spams a certain type of unit, so you may have to tailor your list a bit accordingly.  Lootas would be my first answer. Putting them in a truk fits your theme, and you can even keep them mobile as you're already hitting the flyers with snap shots anyway.  Ork planes are so-so from what I've seen, but they would fit your fluff.  Have you considered some sort of fortification with an anti-air gun or maybe something to hurt his reserves and keep the planes off the board longer? 

Offline Nobbla

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2015, 06:30:37 AM »
I assume that you have a few trukks and maybe a BW since you mentioned that you run the Speedy Freak. Maybe you already thought of it, but to kit the vehicles with rokkits provides a good anti air capacity and cheap as well nowadays. Drawback is that you can not go flat out, but particular BW's are good platforms since they can take up to four of them. Don't forget to ask your opponent want to jink before you roll the dice, if he/she does, the aircrafts shooting capacity is reduced even if you miss and that you will probably do anyway.

Offline SKEETERGOD

• Infinity Circuit | Boss Orkountant | I used Flash Gitz and didn't lose! | KoN Warlord
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • The best upgrade for an ork, is more orks!
  • Armies: Hmmmm.... Orks?
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2015, 08:10:48 AM »
Thanks for all the replies.

The IA8 flakka truck is a good choice, however, IA8 stuff is only allowed for friendly games with advanced consent from your opponent. So, I have two of them, but sometimes find I am forced to change the list at the last second when a player objects to anything IA8. It is less infrequent now, since I am proving to the local that IA8 is not overpowered as the rumors had previously inferred.

There are two players that have heavy air armies. One is the Screaming Eagle player I mentioned before where his six squads of vets are in planes and he has more planes for support. The other is a necron player with six of those flying crescents that are both shooty and transports. Both of these armies are hard to defeat, even space marine players are hard pressed to survive the carnage. You have to tailor your list just for them if you get any advanced notice that you are going against them.

Of course, I have three or four lists ready to go whenever I attend, so I just pull out the one I think will be the best list for the day. The problem is that we don't have time to switch lists once gaming starts, so if my second game is against the air cav armies then I get beat up pretty bad, and if I use my anti air army, then when I go against a hoard I get get creamed. (everybody gets two games, then we have to share the room with magic players, so the chances of a third game are slim) The games are maxed at 2k points, so there is room for most anything, but the time limit is the ruling factor.

OH well, it is only a game, but it is nice to remain competitive for all comers. 
"It needs but one foe to breed a war. And even those who have not swords can still die upon them" (Lady Eowyn)
     We orks are not about being the hero; We orks are about being the mob.

Quote from: angel of death 007
Skeetergod: (adj) A crazy fascination for all things combustible mixed with an unhealty lust for red paint. see also Speed Freak