News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Flesh Tearers theme  (Read 1780 times)

Offline slinky1984

• Gimme all your honey!
    • Willamette Valley Wargaming
Flesh Tearers theme
« on: August 6, 2011, 01:19:16 AM »
So I am building up to do a themed blood angel list with Flesh Tearers and I need to know a couple of things.

I am curious if:
1. Would they ever use Whirlwinds?, I've heard it said that they don't have much in the way of tanks at all but would it still be feasable to use a few whirlwinds in my list. Reason being is I don't really want to have to change up the marines in the list depending on what I am fighting, In other words I want to be have something in there to take care of a little bit of everything so that I don't have to write a new list and replace equipment in the unit itself just to fight whatever I'm fighting for the day.

2. I don't even recall if the new codex mentions Moriar but I know that he was a flesh tearer dreadnought that succumbed to black rage but made it to the other side so to speak and is painted like a death company dread but isn't as crazy as one.... I think. So since I'm not running a horde of death company would it be reasonable to paint a dread like a death company and call him Moriar but use him as a regular Furioso?

Would doing those two things screw with the theme of being a flesh tearer army?
Please allow me to adjust my pants... So that I may dance the good time dance

Offline Darsenko

• I REALLY wish I had someone to play 40k against...
Re: Flesh Tearers theme
« Reply #1 on: August 6, 2011, 01:28:41 AM »
To address your points:

1) I don't know, because my knowledge about the Flesh Tearers is lacking.

2) If it a unit that is/was a member of the Flesh Tearers Chapter, then I don't think there would be any problem with it if you use the Blood Angels codex.

Offline Rems

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #2 on: August 6, 2011, 02:05:46 AM »
1, James Swallow's Red Fury has the Flesh Tearers using a whirlwind so there is some precedent. While the Flesh Tearers are limited in terms of equipment and resources i would think it likely that they would posses some whirlwinds given that's its based on the relatively common rhino/predator chasis.  I don't imagine however that they have many Storm Ravens, Land Speeders or Land Raiders, rare vehicles which are harder to maintain.

2, It would be better to represent Moriar with a Death Comapny dreadnought as that's what he was. He's always been gripped by the red thirst and been frenzied. It also makes sense thematically to field some death company in a Flesh Tearers list as they are more susceptible to it and have been decimated by the condition.

Offline slinky1984

• Gimme all your honey!
    • Willamette Valley Wargaming
« Reply #3 on: August 6, 2011, 08:14:19 AM »
1, James Swallow's Red Fury has the Flesh Tearers using a whirlwind so there is some precedent. While the Flesh Tearers are limited in terms of equipment and resources i would think it likely that they would posses some whirlwinds given that's its based on the relatively common rhino/predator chasis.  I don't imagine however that they have many Storm Ravens, Land Speeders or Land Raiders, rare vehicles which are harder to maintain.

2, It would be better to represent Moriar with a Death Comapny dreadnought as that's what he was. He's always been gripped by the red thirst and been frenzied. It also makes sense thematically to field some death company in a Flesh Tearers list as they are more susceptible to it and have been decimated by the condition.

I would have to agree that you probably wouldn't see a Storm raven or land raider as often aside from an apocalypse game where they were bringing their full armament to bear so with that in mind I will go ahead and include a few whirlwinds. I think it will definitely keep me  able to field a a consistent list that I don't have to change depending on who I am fighting.

I was also trying to avoid having Death Company but you do bring up a good point. I may just have to bite the bullet and do that because theme is very important for me. Not a huge fan of the D. Company with the way I have this list built (no dedicated transports) but I was looking to go a bit higher on the points cost.
Please allow me to adjust my pants... So that I may dance the good time dance