News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Iyanden Wraithlist painting blog + modelling questions.  (Read 46294 times)

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
Re: Iyanden Wraithlist painting blog + modelling questions.
« Reply #200 on: July 1, 2016, 06:51:36 PM »
Hey Vonny. I mean your list while strong, does not need to be toned down IMO. I think the Guard list could have been strengthened for a better take all comers approarch. Just some simple additions like a Vendetta, Pask in a Punisher, some Veterans with triple special weapons etc.

I find it best to just let people adapt to what you typically bring. I bring basically the same army all the time and lets people learn and adjust, while also increasing the challenge for you as your opponents better learn to deal with your army.

The presence of the Wraithlord, Wraithblades, and Avenger units places you firmly in the fun casual list department. I'm bringing something not too different to my upcoming campaign, so I wouldn't change a thing :)

Anyway Vonny great stuff. Its fun getting a chance to talk tactics on your awesome project log. Can't wait for the next bat-rep!
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Aurics Pride

• Aspect Warrior
  • I tread the hidden path.....
  • Armies: Eldar, Raven Guard, Slaanesh
« Reply #201 on: July 2, 2016, 07:01:30 AM »
The Wraithhost is great fun to play and although is very resilient I wouldn't say that it is overpowered. You mention early on that you were worried about being tarpitted by the Conscripts and to be honest that's one of the best tactics for dealing with them. Astra Militarum aren't particularly great in the current game but they can certainly put out some hurt when they want to and as Cav has said there is quite a lot that your opponent could have taken which would have improved the odds for him. Hopefully your opponent can see the positives from the game even if he was negative during/ immediately after. Sometimes you need those sorts of games to realise what you are doing wrong and what you could be doing better.
+++ VICTORUS AUT MORTIS +++

My Army Blog (Corsair & Raven Guard: Here

Offline vonny

• I *LOVE* 40k OFFline!
  • Armies: Tyranids, Lamenters (BA), Eldar (Iyanden), 1k Sons
« Reply #202 on: July 19, 2016, 12:02:44 PM »
so, thanks to the kindness of some lovely guy I was able to purchase some new models... well, old, new models.

Yay for striking scorpions! I must say, on the unstripped models, the painting quality is quite good too, so if you ever want to commission an army, I would recommend Cavalier over me as I think he paints a lot faster :P

Anyway, as you can see from the picture, there's 11 scorpions and one exarch. I have two options for the exarch, one biting blade and one scorpion's claw. Which would you recommend?

Then, the next question, and here's where my mind really is: I'm really considering vandalizing one of the normal scorpions and cut off his pistol arm, and replace it with a scorpion's claw. That was I can have 2 different exarchs.
I have no idea if 2 6-man scorpion squads are viable at all, or if this just means I have 2 different options for the exarch while keeping the rest of the unit the same, but... both the claw and the biting blade look so awesome I think it'd be a shame not to use them both.

Cav, I'm looking at you especially here as you've been using your scorpions a while now, would 2 6-man squads be viable?

also, should I make a scorp into an exarch, do you guys think I need to fancy up his armour a bit more?
check out my Iyanden painting blog.

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Orks, Chaos Space Marines, Eldar, Dark Eldar
« Reply #203 on: July 19, 2016, 01:27:04 PM »
Super jealous. Scorpions are one of my all-time favourite units. 2x6 units are viable if you're going to take claw wielding exarchs in both. Without the claw, small units wouldn't have enough punch to win combats. MSUs work, if you normally play on tables with significant terrain. Their cover bonus and ability to move easily through terrain give them survivability and board control. Small units would also work well in outflanking serpents. Can't wait to see them completed.

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
« Reply #204 on: July 19, 2016, 03:47:23 PM »
It always used to be the case that larger assault squads were better than smaller ones, but that was some time ago.  If you could get away with fielding two smaller squads, that would be ideal if you want to give each an Exarch and make use of the Claw and the Biting Blade.  Even if you don't, having both options would be wise in my view, since GW's rule changes tend to give one or the other the edge from one edition to the next, thus having options never hurts :).
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #205 on: July 20, 2016, 07:38:59 AM »
Whoever hooked you up must be pretty awesome Lol Hey Vonny like I said earlier glad you got them. Can't wait to see how you paint them. I know they are gonna look great.

I think 2 squads of 6 could certainly hold up, especially when trying to maximize on the impact of the Exarch. I like to have a big unit of 10, just to weather some casualties and try to keep the points down, but I don't think thats the only way to play them. Splitting your opponents attention and firepower really tends to work. Also with your army in particular, so much attention is going to be paid to the Ghost units that 2 units of 6 Scorpions goes way down on the target priority list.

Also definitely go for claws on both Exarchs everytime. I personally think the Scorpion Exarch with claw is the best valued combat option in the whole book. I'd definitely convert it up if you can. If you wanted you could fancy up his armor, but you could also just add a bit to his crazy topknot of hair, while the claw itself will add a lot of distinction. Either way you've got the green stuff skills as we all know so I'd definitely go for it.

Anyway all great ideas Vonny. I know these guys will look great with your Ghost warriors. Make sure you keep us posted on your thoughts and progress with them. Also thanks for the commission recommendation Vonny I do appreciate it

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline vonny

• I *LOVE* 40k OFFline!
« Reply #206 on: July 20, 2016, 12:12:41 PM »
ok, I'll convert one up to have a claw, and give the other one the awesome looking biting blade. I plan to use them both in close support of eachother, or just one squad with a claw if I'm low on points.

I'm not sure when I'll be using them anyway... I just thought the models looked too pretty to pass up on :)

Offline vonny

• I *LOVE* 40k OFFline!
« Reply #207 on: October 16, 2016, 10:20:45 AM »
by popular demand:

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
« Reply #208 on: October 16, 2016, 10:58:17 AM »
I can't make out the writing on the labels that well, although the one on the left must surely say Craftworld Iyanden.  Either way, that's a highly impressive collection of very well painted armies on show there.  I take it this was for an event?

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #209 on: October 16, 2016, 11:32:22 AM »
Wow that is legendary Vonny. Alonside your Iyanden, those are your Tyranids and Lamenters? I'd love to see some closeups, especially on the Drop Pods. What a monstrous collection. Dang am I jealous!

Gotta say your Iyanden looks so pure with their white-bases, really standing out amongst them all. Legendary stuff Vonny! If its for Armies on Parade I hope you win!

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #210 on: October 16, 2016, 04:24:56 PM »
wow nice work.

Offline vonny

• I *LOVE* 40k OFFline!
« Reply #211 on: October 17, 2016, 12:35:32 PM »
yes, it was for armies on parade, and I actually did win. Those are indeed also my tyranids and lamenters, and once the more detailed pictures are posted on the website I'll repost some here.

I knew people had long wanted to see my Iyanden pitted against my nids, so... here they were :)

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #212 on: October 17, 2016, 01:42:55 PM »
Thats fantastic Vonny! Wow winning Armies on Parade is a huge accomplishment. Congratulations on some well deserved recognition of skills and artistic vision! Your Iyanden army is so unique and your Tyranids and Lamenters are equally as well executed. Congrats Vonny thats awesome news.

Offline Irisado

• Administrator
« Reply #213 on: October 17, 2016, 02:21:58 PM »
yes, it was for armies on parade, and I actually did win.

Is this the moment where I can remind you that there would be plenty of people who would appreciate your work ;)?

Congratulations :).  It's a great achievement and I'm very pleased for you.  You deserve it.

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #214 on: April 18, 2017, 09:10:16 AM »
Just finished going through your blog, Vonny
To be perfectly honest, I've never been a fan of friendly yellow on the battle field. SS82 did up his Imperial Fists and he got away with it  because of the black, giving them that dangerous feel. Then I saw your Iyandens. You've pulled it off, mate. You make the colours so vibrant, and the character just drips from their positioning. Am a little jealous of the other members who got to go through this journey with you. Superb!

Offline vonny

• I *LOVE* 40k OFFline!
« Reply #215 on: September 26, 2017, 05:48:01 PM »
aww thank you Saim-dann. It always warms my heart when people say their preconceptions were challenged by something I did - it makes me feel like a true artist. And as such, I don't think I can receive a greater compliment. Thank you.

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #216 on: September 26, 2017, 11:03:58 PM »
Your welcome, Vonny! Well deserved.

Offline Orange

« Reply #217 on: September 27, 2017, 02:53:32 AM »
I've just had a look through your whole blog, definitely going to pinch some of your ideas!

I wasn't convinced about Guardians in Iyanden scheme, but the ones you've got early in the blog look great. And I love the assymetrical patterns on some of the models. And giving just one wraithguard house patterns is a very cool idea.

Really nice work.