News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Nutty's Craftworld Eldar  (Read 5221 times)

Offline Nutty

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
  • Armies: Craftworld Eldar, Imperial Guard, Tau
Nutty's Craftworld Eldar
« on: July 31, 2019, 04:59:17 PM »
Hello Everyone,

I've recently decided to start collecting Craftworld Eldar, and I figured I'd start a little plog to document my journey through the webway.

It all began when I, somewhat unexepectedly, placed the winning bid on an Eldar army; and they arrived in the post earlier today:

Most of the miniatures need a bit of work; the paint has chipped, a lot of weapons are bent/broken, etc. So the majority went straight into the bucket for a nice long soak. Luckily for me the lot also contained a number of unpainted warriors and a metal farseer with just a coat of primer; so I have something to work on right away.

So after some minor repairs and coat of primer, my army is starting to take shape:

Now it is time for some actual painting; I've alwyas found the Ulthwé scheme particularly striking, so that is the plan for now. It's been a while since I've tried painting black armor though.. so that plan might change in the near future. :)

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Re: Nutty's Craftworld Eldar
« Reply #1 on: August 1, 2019, 06:52:08 PM »
Looks like you got a good mix of units to start the collection off :)

GW store were doing demo's of their new contrast paint, if your local is still doing it, try out the black contrast paint, it does a good job for infantry.

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #2 on: August 1, 2019, 10:11:39 PM »
Hi Nutty, welcome to the forums ;D! Lots of cool stuff already in your possession, I look forward to seeing how you progress with your eldar army!

I also love the colors of Ulthwe, but I've always been put off by trying to create the bone patterns that Ulthwe is known for.
JohnMaloneBooks website - Blog #3 - From Novella to Novel

- 5/5 Reader's Favorite Review!

A Sanctum of Swords: Embers Edition is coming soon w/ audiobook!

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #3 on: August 2, 2019, 12:18:12 AM »
I also love the colors of Ulthwe, but I've always been put off by trying to create the bone patterns that Ulthwe is known for.

Tamiya Masking tape :) It gives a nice straight edge and does damage the paint under it. You can then use normal making tape to over lap the Tamiya stuff and stick down some paper towel or what ever to prevent over spray. Works well for straight lines and Tamiya also do curved tape.

Offline Nutty

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #4 on: August 2, 2019, 07:59:36 PM »
Thanks for the warm welcome!

@Magenb: It really is a nice mix of units; although some of the stuff in there has not aged well. I have a list of what is in the bucket in a post over at the Eldar subforum, and a revised list on my pc at home. I might add that into this thread as a bit of a 'to do'-list.

The advice is always welcome; I'd might give the black contrast a try. But painting the black armor has been going surprisingly well. A bit of further testing is needed to see how well it translates to vehicles though. The patterns are something I still have to try, but I'll keep the masking tape in mind.

Right now my main issue seems to be with the eyes/lenses on these guys. I've tossed the first five I did back in the bucket because I had repainted the masks so many times it started clogging the edges of the lense. Edit: I've changed the way I'm painting the lenses and it seems to working a lot better for me. With a bit of luck I can finish the unit over the weekend.
« Last Edit: August 3, 2019, 06:04:31 AM by Nutty »

Offline Nutty

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Re: Nutty's Craftworld Eldar: Guardians
« Reply #5 on: August 6, 2019, 03:38:50 PM »
The first 5 guardians got painted today;

Despite my change in method the eyes are still giving me the most trouble, I might have to restrategize again.

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #6 on: August 6, 2019, 03:52:34 PM »
Hi Nutty, some advice on eyes. Paint them with a light, off white color, use a dot of contrast paint to tint the eyes to what you want, then clean up around the edges.

Try that!!!

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #7 on: August 6, 2019, 06:41:56 PM »
Looks good Nutty.

I kind of cheat with lenses, Tamiya make a range of clear glossy paints (x-27 for red). The gloss catches the light, especially next to the matte armour next to it. GW glazes and gem stone paints also work too.

Its just a matter of how much effort you want to put in, you can to a metallic gradient under before putting the clear gloss on or just a light layer.

Offline Nutty

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #8 on: August 6, 2019, 07:11:14 PM »
Thanks for the advice;

Myen'Tal: it is similar to what I was doing (paint yellow, wash with Biel-tan green) but I have some turquise contrast laying around, so I might as well give it a try.

Magenb: I'm all for cheating if it looks good. I have the red gem paint and most of the glazes sitting around here somewhere. So that is certainly something to try.

Touching up seems to be part of the problem though. The mask seems to end up chalky and uneven eventhough I'm using the same method as for the guns and other 'bone'-bits. I might go with bone coloured helmets and a black faceplate instead.

Anyway I have the day of work tomorrow so I have time to pick up some paint and try some different things. The two of you have certainly given me food for thought; thanks again.

Offline Nutty

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #9 on: August 8, 2019, 08:35:38 AM »
Well I spent most of yesterday looking at pictures of Eldar and experimenting with different methods and colours.. and I decided to out a pin in my idea to start an Ulthwe army for now. I can't quite get the black to look the way I want, so I've slightly altered my plans:

Ulthwe, Iybraesil.. almost the same thing really..  ???

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #10 on: August 8, 2019, 01:53:42 PM »
Well, I am definitely a fan of that Iybraesil scheme :). Yeah, black is definitely a difficult color to make "pop" as it were, so I definitely understand you having difficulties there. It also makes me wary of trying schemes with black as the main color. I think you've did a great job!

Offline Nutty

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #11 on: August 8, 2019, 04:00:35 PM »
Well, I am definitely a fan of that Iybraesil scheme :). Yeah, black is definitely a difficult color to make "pop" as it were, so I definitely understand you having difficulties there. It also makes me wary of trying schemes with black as the main color. I think you've did a great job!

I think the lack of "pop" was what turned me away from the idea; if I spend 2-3 hours on a model I'd like it to hold my attention for atleast a minute or so. The Iybraesil scheme does that a lot better, and is quicker to paint.

However I did get a bit tired of (re)painting guardians so I started on my first aspect warriors to mix things up a bit:

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #12 on: August 8, 2019, 04:07:05 PM »
Those are looking great already!!!

Howling Banshees and Striking Scorpions remain among my favorite craftworld models... not so much the third edition SS, but the banshees from third or fourth, still loving them!

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #13 on: August 8, 2019, 05:55:04 PM »
The new guardian scheme and the banshee's are looking good.

Offline Nutty

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #14 on: August 9, 2019, 08:12:32 AM »
Thank you both

The Banshee sculpts have stood the test of time pretty well I think. Maybe if you sat them next to the 'current' models they might show their age a bit more, but they are nice miniatures to paint. So much so that I have spent the entirety of yesterday evening painting them and got right back at it this morning.

I usually get distracted after an hour or so and start doing other stuff; but these ladies almost painted themselves.  :)

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2019, 09:34:55 AM »
The white is looking very clean and your work on the swords is great.

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2019, 02:09:24 PM »
I agree with, Mage, the white came out beautifully. The swords are looking pretty snazzy as well  :).

Offline Nutty

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2019, 12:06:57 PM »
Thank you both; I'm quite pleased with how they turned out, I do want to redo the eyes as the turned out a bit to dark.. and more grey than green. But I think I'll leave them be untill I've practiced on some more guardians.

However I got distracted by a Wave Serpent along the way:

I ended up magnetizing the turret weapons (mainly so I can use them on the two Vypers when I get around to those) so the turret is a bit wobbly. So I might try and fill the magnet holes with a thin layer of greenstuff so that everything sits flush again.

There is still a bit of painting to do on it, but I've been meaning to try my hand at a vehicle to see how my method for the blue/teal works on larger surfaces.

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2019, 05:53:20 PM »
Looks good so far.

Magnets are great when there is a horizontal mount, verticle mounts like the wave turrent and Hornets tend to droop as the size of the mangets don't counter the weight distribution, especally on long weapons like pulse lasers. So they would well on war walkers and wraithlords, etc.

Wave Turrnets are usually a snuf fit for me, so they mostly hold them selves in place. The vypers have a craddle, there is not much room to mount a magnet, but a little bluetak will keep them in polaec for a game.

Offline Dread

• Warlock
  • Voidraven, the stone skipping across the universe.
  • Armies: Eldar, DE, Harlis, Necrons,  sisters, Death guard
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2019, 04:05:04 PM »
Welcome to our little corner of the universe. Sorry took do long to respond. You got a good bit going there, that's great. So far I like what you've done on all the models but just remember, you don't have stay with GW'S color schemes.

The white is so smooth a ND creamy, you did them a great justice.

Will check in with you more in the future. Keep the paint flying.
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Farseer Gol'Istria of    the Morea Nebula craftword