News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 2,500 pt ORK army list from this year's 'ard boyz  (Read 3448 times)

Offline fuegan17

• orkses are never beaten in battle!
2,500 pt ORK army list from this year's 'ard boyz
« on: December 21, 2008, 03:37:51 AM »
well this army placed well in the prelims of 'ard boyz getting 1st but only got 8th in semis because of some insane dice rolling on my opponents part (40+ MEQ armor saves, all saved!)
this army is what i think would have been the army at armageddon (minus the mek) since snikrot and ghaz are both present and i brought lots o' kannons and deffkoptas as siege weapons and then of course the goff green tide.

2500 pts

HQ
Ghazghull

Big Mek- KFF, 'eavy armour

Elites
15x kommandos-snikrot, 2x burnas

Troops
5x-30x slugga boyz- nob(PK,BP)

30x slugga boyz- nob(pk, BP, eavy armour)

Fast Attack
3x-3x Deffkoptas-3x TL rokkits

Heavy Support
3x-3x Big Gunz- 1 ammo runt, 3x kannons

Ghaz will be leading a mob that has to go through diificult terrain since he is already slow and purposeful. and the other mobs will all have trains(be in long lines of orks) to have at least one model within 6" of the Big mek to get 5+ cover save. Kannons will provide transport killing or horde killing at range. Kommandos are there to kill anything that can threaten the advance of my hordes as are the deffkoptas only against tanks instead(since both will use either outflanking or snikrot's special rule). once my boyz hit home not much can stop them as they get swept up in a sweeping wave of smelly orks.

there are some extra wargear present on one nob but only because i had very few points left.

here are some pics of the finished army(sorry but some are kinda blurry)

Any comments, criticism, or suggestions?

Offline Badb Catha

• My way isn't very sportsmanlike...
Re: 2,500 pt ORK army list from this year's 'ard boyz
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2008, 04:45:15 AM »
Da Green Tide!  Gotta love the 180 Boyz list.  If I were going to use the points for extra wargear, I'd take the points for the one Nob who got 'extra armour and upgrade the Big Mek to a cybork body. 

I think that's probably too many points spent on Koptas.  They can be good, and are decent at both tank hunting and distraction, but I don't think they're worth as much attention as you're giving them.  Instead you could get the best possible siege weapons: lootas!  Or, if you like Fast Attack options, Stormboyz can pave the way for the rest of your troops, and they're just more Orks to kill, rather than the relatively fragile Koptas.  Your opponents anti-tank weapons won't have any other target than the Koptas.  Outflanking can help this some, but I haven't found it to be extraordinarily useful. 

Overall the list looks fluffy and fun to play!  I hope we get battle reports.   
« Last Edit: December 21, 2008, 04:51:22 AM by Badb Catha »

Offline Andro Ist Keine Schwedischen

• Da Biggest; His Fluffiness; Warboss
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2008, 06:04:53 AM »
As requested, it's review time.

Though firstly, I'd like to say that it's no bother at all doing these.  So don't be afraid to ask.

----------------------

1/ Army Composition  9.5/10

Maxed out troops (literally) is a good thing.  Ridiculously good, infact.  Lots of scoring units, and for 2500pts it doesn't have too many Kill Points to give away.  The Deffkoptaz and Big Gunz all work well together with the Boyz, and the KFF Mek is going to be invaluable.  I think I'll be breaking out top marks here, if it wasn't for Ghazgkhull being here - he really slows down whatever unit he joins, and so lowers the overall synergy of the list.

2/ Unit Upgrades  8/10

Overall the upgrades are to the point and useful, but there are a few things I'd shuffle around.  Like removing the Mek's 'eavy Armour and replacing it with Cybork Body (and taking Nob #6's armour as well to pay for it).  Would have liked to have seen more Ammo Runts in the Gun Batteries as well, but points are tight and you don't want to be trimming Boyz off their Mobs.  Rokkits would be my choice in the Boyz Mobz as well, but that would probably be overkill at this stage, so I'll wave over that point as a mere 'personal preference'.

3. Army Theme 7/10

Green Tide, enough said.  One issue with the theme is that it's enherently Goff by having Ghaz as the leader, but it's got the Blood Axe themed Snikrot, large numbers of the Evil Sunz themed Deffkoptas and a number of (arguably) Deffskullz themed Big Gunz (not to mention various Klan colours on the Boyz).  But it's only a minor thing, so I'm not going to be harsh about it.  Shame there's no fleshed out background, but then you do have two special characters...

4/ Tactics Overview  9.5/10

You have a plan, and it's a good plan.  Though I'm a little worried your 'send Ghaz through cover' idea may be a little rough around the edges.  But then I think you probably know my feelings about him walking instead of being carted around in a Battlewagon (ahem).  Ork KFF placement is good.  Outflanking Deffkoptas and Ambushing Kommandos is good.  Supportive fire from Kannons is good (though I'll add you should really put them into cover - a 4+ cover save will make them very hard to shift).  Overall, excellent (with the minor Ghaz issue).

5. Army List Layout 9/10

Quite clear, everything is fine and dandy.  Though abbrieviations do confuse a little at times.

Army Pictures  8/10

Finally, some pictures.  Shame they are a bit out of focus.  Still, full credit for having painted that many models, the army shot as a whole looks fantastic and intimidating!  Get some close and in focus shots of your army centerpieces for additional points.

Oh, and +1pt simply for having a Nob with two Power Klaws.  That thing looks very, very mean.

Total: 51/60 - Great List

With some minor refinement, as few clearer pictures and a little blurb about your army background, you'll probably hit close to the 'perfect list' mark.  Very well done, and I wish you well in your tournament.

~Andromidius
« Last Edit: December 21, 2008, 08:10:50 AM by Andromidius »
aka. Boris the Bear

Offline TastyPavlova

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2008, 06:25:15 AM »
wow, you've maxed the max dude! Awesome list. I have to agree with nearly every one of andromidius' points here the army is excellent.

But a theme usually isn't bothered if you are a powerplayer (are you a powerplayer? Sorry If I am assuming a bit too much but this list looks like its designed to win with no proper theme based around it, which is fine).

good luck in your tourney
If a job's worth doing, it's worth dying for...

Just returning to 40K, I'll be starting up again with Imperial Guard.

Offline Badb Catha

• My way isn't very sportsmanlike...
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2008, 07:43:57 AM »
Just one small note first - Orks use Sluggas, not Bolt Pistols.

Are you referring to this:  "slugga boyz- nob(PK,BP)"?  'Cause I think those are Boss Poles.

Offline Andro Ist Keine Schwedischen

• Da Biggest; His Fluffiness; Warboss
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2008, 08:09:32 AM »
You know, that's a good point.  I'll alter my review a little to compensate for that (which is the danger of using abrieviations).

~Andromidius
aka. Boris the Bear

Offline fuegan17

• orkses are never beaten in battle!
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2008, 08:05:30 PM »
Yeah, I do have to admit I am a power player but you can blame other people! My first tournament i bring a nicely balanced army and fight my first two opponents who also have balanced lists and score major victories against them, but then blam! i get slapped silly by massive amounts of cheese in one list(so much so that it could feed 5 million mice). so I got angry and started to power game and haven't been able to stop since.