News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 500 point IG allies help  (Read 3014 times)

Offline kraibos

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
500 point IG allies help
« on: September 10, 2012, 02:31:01 PM »
I have a 1.5k space marine army and currently have 500 points for ig allies

Currently i have

A Vendetta
A chimera
a Command squad havent added any upgrades yet
1 veteran squad with 3 meltas and shotguns in the vendetta

I have 130 points roughly left to spend and am not sure whether to add upgrades or another vet squad. I have the parts for both.
Thanks

My sm army is below

HQ
Captain Lysander

Command squad four plasma-
Razorback

Elite

Terminator squad 6 marines chain fist cyclone missile launcher

Troops

Tactical Squad 10 marines with Plasma Cannon and Plasma Gun-
Rhino -

Tactical Squad 10 marines with Multi Melta Flamer-
Drop pod

Scout Squad 5 snipers , 1 heavy bolter Camo cloaks-

Fast Attack

Space marine attack bike with multi melta -

Offline Packetmaster

• Plasma get's hot! Keep shooting! Commissar nearby
  • Armies: Guard
Re: 500 point IG allies help
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2012, 06:39:36 PM »
Two words: Heavy support

Bassies variant / Hydra squadron

If you can't get anymore point you could go for a hellhound or a small sentinal squadron for fire support

Offline Nemo vas Varya

• Ork Yoof
  • Keelah se'lai
  • Armies: Imperial Guard, Eldar, Dark Angels, and High Elves
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2012, 01:10:51 AM »
Are you walking your terminators across the field? Everything else seems a bit in your face, including the melta vets.

Anyways, to the guard...

I would take the Chimera and CCS out. Your CCS is here more as an obligatory HQ choice, and I know you picked him because he is cheap, but the way he is right now, I aint doing anything. Pay the handfull of extra points and get a Psyker to run with your vets, telepathy or telekinesis can be fun. You could also attach him to the command squad in the razorback.

If you drop the CCS, the Chimera, and replace it with a Psyker Primarius, you have 165 points left. I'd either go with a Leman Buss Battle Cannon w/ Las Cannon (165 points) or... this is the better option in my opinion, give the vets demo, giving them a demo pack and melta bombs. Then add two scout sentinels with las cannons. This leaves you with 35 points in which you could add stuff to the vet sergeant or use elsewhere.
Tali: Shepard! Want a drink?

Shepard: So… how are you getting drunk, anyway?

Tali: Very carefully. Turian brandy… tripled filtered and introduced into the suit through this… emergency induction port.

Shepard: That’s a straw, Tali.

Tali: Emergency. Induction. Port.

Offline kraibos

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2012, 07:52:44 AM »
I had planned on deep striking the terminators. The army is quite in your face i know.I have a few options not sure which is best,cant take any sentinels as my fast attack is filled.

The 4 options im considering are
1.Flamer vets
2.Dropp CCS and have a primaris with a psyker squad
2.Another Vendetta
3.Leman Russ

Im swaying towards flamer vets as i need anti infantry
« Last Edit: September 11, 2012, 07:54:23 AM by kraibos »

Offline Nemo vas Varya

• Ork Yoof
  • Keelah se'lai
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2012, 11:15:30 AM »
If you need Anti-Infantry, I'd go with a Russ. Especially with that Rhino full of marines. It is dead unless you try and give your opponent something else to shoot at, and that may still not work. It has a nasty pie plate capable of wiping out entire squads of unlucky MEQs. (Actually not even unlucky, just found not in cover and grouped to closely together.)

By grabbing HB sponsons, you get 6 more snap shots to try and kill survivors, and with the hull mounted las cannon you get some anti AV-14 from it as well. (This tank will cost you 205 points though.)

Tali: Very carefully. Turian brandy… tripled filtered and introduced into the suit through this… emergency induction port.

Offline kraibos

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2012, 01:23:51 PM »
Hi Thanks for the reply ive had conflicting suggestions saying i should take another vendetta or a flamer vet squad in another chimera,would a leman russ be the most effective option?

Offline RandomGuardsman

• Kampfgruppe RipperJacks!
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2012, 02:09:11 PM »
 In my honest opinion, I would suggest going another route with the IG. Your SM army is a bit point heavy on a lot of the stuff you are fielding for 1500 points.  Since it is a point heavy elite army with fewer numbers I would suggest using the IG in bulk. Build towards a platoon to bulk out your numbers. Vets are nice, but you are adding an elite element to an elite element. If you take a platoon over the Vets, you could field the CCS in the chimera, a single platoon with a PCS and 3 Infantry squads, and a Vendetta.

You could equip the PCS with flamers and use it in the Vendetta much like you would use the flamer vets. You could put the CCS in the chimera and us it for orders for the 3 IS in which you could blob and use the to hold a backfield point. This would leave you around 85 points to upgrade the units and build the IG into a fire base/point holder to freeing up the SM for taking the field. Or leave the Chimera out and snag a 4th IS and make 2 20 man blobs.

This is just how I would handle it, but my play style and thinking might be a bit different so take what you will from it. :P
Mercenaries never die! They go to hell to regroup!

Offline kraibos

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2012, 02:18:44 PM »
Hmm i quite like this idea i may go with this.

Offline Koval, Master Verispex

• 40kOnline's Care Bear of Tanks | The Velvet Glove of Fated Tenderness and Ambition
  • Ancient
  • Well, that was unexpected...
  • Armies: Imperial Guard (Indelvian 190th Mechanised)
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2012, 02:23:03 PM »
(This tank will cost you 205 points though.)
Only if you're sticking plasma cannon sponsons onto it instead of heavy bolters. A heavy bolter + lascannon LRBT will cost only 185 points.

OP: I, personally, would dump the CCS and the Chimera, put a Primaris with your meltavets in the Vendetta (which I assume totals 300 points exactly, if the meltavets' only upgrades are those three meltaguns and the shotguns, and the Vendetta's a stock entry), and get a LRBT.

Under the above assumption about points, buying a bog standard LRBT with three heavy bolters and putting Demolitions on your Veterans puts your Guard contingent at 500 points exactly. I'd definitely advise going down this route, because Russes are just that awesome (with the exception of the Eradicator which is crap, and a Vanquisher that doesn't have Pask in it which is also crap)

You could also go with RandomGuardsman's blob approach, but definitely add the Russ because it's a damn Russ and no Guard force is complete without one.

Offline RandomGuardsman

• Kampfgruppe RipperJacks!
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2012, 03:04:26 PM »
You could also go with RandomGuardsman's blob approach, but definitely add the Russ because it's a damn Russ and no Guard force is complete without one.

An idea I was just kicking around in my head was using the Defense line and a blob.
If one could scrape a few points from the SM side of the army (50-ish) you could field a Primaris Psyker a Minumum Platoon with a single chimera, a Russ, and a defense line.

Buy a chimera and a few grenade launchers for the PCS and attach the Primaris to it. Buy lascannons for the 2 infantry squads and blob them together. Buy a lascannon for the defense line, place it on a point, then drop the blob inside. Then you would have 20 bodies inside cover placed on a point armed with 2 normal and one anti air/ground lascannon. Then you toss in a plan old russ to do Russ things because "it's a damn Russ". :P

This is probably a terrible idea, but I have really been wanting to try out the blob hiding in an Aegis armed to the teeth with lascannons tactic. Of course one could change the Primaris to a CCS so he does not have to skim as many points off the SM side and to allow the use of 'BiD' with the 3 lascannons on enemy armor.

Hmmm.....this makes me want to build a 2K multiple detachment army and try out 2 of these blob things.....TO THE DRAWING BOARDS!  ;D
Mercenaries never die! They go to hell to regroup!

Offline Nemo vas Varya

• Ork Yoof
  • Keelah se'lai
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2012, 04:56:37 PM »
(This tank will cost you 205 points though.)
Only if you're sticking plasma cannon sponsons onto it instead of heavy bolters. A heavy bolter + lascannon LRBT will cost only 185 points.

OP: I, personally, would dump the CCS and the Chimera, put a Primaris with your meltavets in the Vendetta (which I assume totals 300 points exactly, if the meltavets' only upgrades are those three meltaguns and the shotguns, and the Vendetta's a stock entry), and get a LRBT.

Under the above assumption about points, buying a bog standard LRBT with three heavy bolters and putting Demolitions on your Veterans puts your Guard contingent at 500 points exactly. I'd definitely advise going down this route, because Russes are just that awesome (with the exception of the Eradicator which is crap, and a Vanquisher that doesn't have Pask in it which is also crap)

Eradicators are not crap... just niche... play at an arena where everyone is hiding in cover, and running a metric ton of Eldar Pathfinders, and giggle like a school girl as your eradicators give them a bad day.

In 95% of cases, the Eradicators are crap though. Sadly, even for the 5% of the time they are useful, and a Hellhound will do the same job with fewer points.

Offline JusticeCetin

• Lieutenant
  • Hail to the King!
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2012, 01:26:48 PM »
I have a Friend who plays Necrons, and this is how he built his IG allies.  He is a desperate alliance, so your Unit can even score!

Ministorum Priest with Eviserator-60

Veteran Squad with 3 Flamers, Shotguns, Powerfist-100
Vendetta Gunship-130

Manticore-160

It is only 450 points, the Manticore hides behind any troops you leave at home, and hopefully in good cover.  The Same Ruin you bolster and put hte scouts in you can put hte Mcore behind.  The Flamers and the Priest go in the vendetta, which Zooms on the board and fries seomthing, next turn you enter hover mode, drop in the flamers, and burn someone off an objective, while putting yourself in cover.  IF someone tries to assault you off, you have 3 flamers for wall of death, and 2 Power Fists!  and if they dont finish you, you can flamer, shotgun, charge, and get rerolls. 

In order for you to make this, all you would need is to convert the seargent to have a Power Fist, the Company Commander an eviserator, turn the meltas into flamers, and get a Mcore. 

Even if you are a terrible converter, and don't want to do the priest, the Infantry Box and Company Command Box should have 3 flamers in it, and the Powerfist, so you can just buy a metal priest if you want. 

He has used this against my IG (i was actually providing him the models for it) and had i not luckily, and i mean LUCKILY, shot down the vendetta (one Plasma Gun fired up at it, rolled two 6s to hit, two 6's to pen, he jinked one, and i exploded it)  i would have surely lost my main objective.  Add in the fact that for your army they can score, and i would say this idea would work great for you, because you get all the big bang of IG, for a low points cost. 
6th Edition W/D/L record

IG 8/2/0
BT 0/0/0
Sob 0/0/0