News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: New Crowe Lists! Trying to make better - 2000 pts  (Read 1129 times)

Offline TheSpyJimmy

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
New Crowe Lists! Trying to make better - 2000 pts
« on: May 28, 2011, 11:07:57 PM »
HQ - Castellan Crowe

Brotherhood Champion

Troops - 6x Purifiers, 3 Halberds, 2Hammers , 1 Incinerator in Rhinos - 200 pts - X5 = 1200 pts

Heavy  -  3 x Dreads W/ TL Autocannon, Assault Cannon, Psibolt - 135 Pts Each - 405 total

Elite - Vindicare Assassin

= 2000

A Variant on this would also be
--------------------

HQ - Crowe

Troops - Troops - 7x Purifiers, 5 Halberds, 2 Hammers in Rhinos - 228 pts - X3 - 800
7 X Purifiers - 4 Halberds, 2 hammers, 1 Incinerator in Rhino - 226 points

Elite - Vindicare Assassin
2x Venerable Dreads W/ TL Autocannon/Assault Cannon/ Psibolt - 195 ea, 390 total

Heavy - 3 X Dreads W/ TL Auto/Assault/Psibolt -135 ea, 405 total

-------------

Now, before I am killed for the "ZOMG YOU MUST TAKE TWO TL AUTOS!" My testing has brought me to the conclusion that - as good as having 4 shots at 48 is - having those rending shots is very nice as the game goes on and distances close. 48 inches has only been extremely useful during turn 1 - sometimes 2. After that, most armies will have approached closer to your units. Especially at Str 7 - meaning that a rending hit on a LR will Pen 2/3rds of the time. Furthermore ,in the event that your dreads need to move, they will have a 24' gun that can fire as they move.

The 2nd Variant is one I've been toying with, as it brings Moar Dakka to the GK party by bringing in Venerable Dreads and concentrates my squads into 4 rather than 5. Good for Kill Points, sometimes bad for approaching targets.

It should be noted that these VenDreads were originally TechMarines with OSR's but either my scatter dice hate me, or they are simply utterly ineffective against most competant players who properly space their units - The lance strike will hit what it needs to hit once in a blue moon and the barrage bomb, while good against horde armies, is utterly worthless against everything else and Purifiers are excellent against most horde forces in that between Purifiying Flame and the Halberds, they will usually bring down most threats to reasonable level before they can be attacked.

I am curious as to the effectiveness of Storm Ravens in this army. Given the propensity of Wolf Missile Spam and Guard Lascannons out there, it would seem that armor 12 would generally not be terribly great on a 205 point body, even if coming from off the board turboboosted or Deep Struck.  They do however seem to be an excellent choice in getting my Purifiers 'in there' faster than everything else I have.

Thoughts?

Offline Caustic

• Castellan Cawww!
  • Armies: Salamanders, 1k Sons & Daemons, Hochland Empire.
Re: New Crowe Lists! Trying to make better - 2000 pts
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2011, 08:48:21 AM »
Stormravens are inargueably vulnerable to missile spam, but what I have tried is taking three of them with purifiers to try and saturate the field. Failing in this tactic however another useful way would be to run all your Purifiers in Land Raiders to screw over the space wolf list in question.

Also in your list I would eliminate the incinerator for either a psicannon to take advantage of the fire point or another halberd for more CC might.

Offline The Master of Eternity

• Those that do not fight, die.
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2011, 10:12:46 PM »
I would take out a purifier squad, add a full interceptor squad with halberds. (280 pts) Put them in a stormraven. I=x force weapons.

The before combat damage is nice but the opponents get their saves. Nothing says "Damn" like going first against almost everything with force weapons and then zooming across the battlefield to contest an objective late game.

Purifiers are BAMFs though...

Also, don't forget tactics which are all important. I had my Castellan Crowe take down a venerable dreadnought one round and then die and take another furioso with him the next round. Crowe's a beast and a half for his points. Those champions are only there to make the big guys go away by dying. In my opinion. Bye bye avatar, bloodthirster and the likes. But before they die they take down a full squad of anything.
You are not free, those whose liberty is won by the rigor of other men. You are merely protected. Your freedom is parasitic, taking but offering nothing in return. You have freedom, but have done nothing to earn it. You will stand alone, and pay in blood. Know this and remember: my power knows no bounds save for that which is given to me through His mightiness the Omnissiah and most Holy Emperor of Mankind. ~ Forge Master Mordikai before the fall of Agridora

Offline Holier than thou

• Praise the Emperor (or he'll kick your *%#).
  • Armies: Grey Knights (since 2006, not a band-wagon jumper)
« Reply #3 on: June 1, 2011, 02:27:58 PM »
I would take out a purifier squad, add a full interceptor squad with halberds. (280 pts) Put them in a stormraven. I=x force weapons.

I would agree with taking a squad of Interceptors, but why put them in the Stormraven? They already have great mobility, let the Purifiers ride in it instead.

Also, don't forget tactics which are all important. I had my Castellan Crowe take down a venerable dreadnought one round and then die and take another furioso with him the next round. Crowe's a beast and a half for his points. Those champions are only there to make the big guys go away by dying. In my opinion. Bye bye avatar, bloodthirster and the likes. But before they die they take down a full squad of anything.

I wouldn't call that tactics, that's just plain luck and unbelievable luck at that. Crowe would only get 1 non-rerollable attack against a Dreadnought, you would need to successfully cast Hammerhand, then succeed with your hit, roll to rend, roll at least a 5 or 6 with your rending to get a penetrating hit, then roll high enough on the damage chart to make your opponent ask you to reroll it, then reroll another 5 or 6 to destroy it!

Not the kind of thing I would want to have to rely on.

Repent and ye shall be forgiven.
Sin again and, verily, I shall bring the hurt!

Offline The Master of Eternity

• Those that do not fight, die.
« Reply #4 on: June 1, 2011, 05:15:34 PM »
Of course charging dreadnoughts is a dumbluck situation. Everything else is up for grabs. Crowe kills characters, which everyone takes. His XXX points that can easily make twice his points back just for dying?

Tactics is where you place him where you need him not headlong into any combat. He has too few wounds for that. And the regular brotherhood champion is worse off or is it better off?

As for the purifiers... they die, rather easily. In front they are as good as dead. Especially if your opponent manages to shoot down your transport. I would keep them in back to hold your objective. Your interceptors would be in your opponents deployment zone first turn without any danger of taking dangerous terrain tests during their disembark. After doing some damage they can retreat back to the safety of their own battlelines.

This is all just my opinion of course.
You are not free, those whose liberty is won by the rigor of other men. You are merely protected. Your freedom is parasitic, taking but offering nothing in return. You have freedom, but have done nothing to earn it. You will stand alone, and pay in blood. Know this and remember: my power knows no bounds save for that which is given to me through His mightiness the Omnissiah and most Holy Emperor of Mankind. ~ Forge Master Mordikai before the fall of Agridora