News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Fan made 2D Space Hulk board tiles - feedback needed  (Read 10605 times)

Offline nedius

• Hulkamaniac
    • Nedius' 40k - 3D Space Hulk and other projects
Fan made 2D Space Hulk board tiles - feedback needed
« on: January 16, 2009, 03:35:19 PM »
Hi there,

With a couple of friends at my local GW, we've begun to create a fan-made update to Space Hulk. Our aim is somewhere between simply introducing new races more effectively than the old rules, keeping the same classic feel and bringing it more in line with 5th Ed 40K.

As a side project, I'm making two modular boards. The first is 3D. I've got a number of sections built, but yet to be painted or photographed. The second is a 2D board for a campaign based upon the last stand of the Ultramarine 1st Comany during the Battle for Macragge. The reason two sets is that I want the 3D board to be pretty generic - usable for Space Hulk, but also Necromunda, 40K etc. The 2D board is designed to have a strong Ultramarine theme, suitable for the campaign.

Anyway, the reason for the post... If my campaign is a success, I'd like to make it and its resources available online. To make sure that people think it'd be worth it, Id like to get some feedback on my efforts thus far. Now, the board sections shown below were made using my somewhat limited knowledge of Paint Shop Pro, and I can't do much about the realism of the apperance. However, I can do stuff about the textures used, colour scheme etc. So any constructive criticism would be gladly considered! Oh, and any offers of help from master texture makers out there who could give be better tiles to work with would also be nice  ;D

So, the tiles:

P.S. The ones I've printed out are large enough for a Terminator base to fit within (just!), so the real ones are bigger than the images displayed here.
3D Space Hulk, Classic Genestealers, Napoleonic Imperial Guard, 40k: http://www.freewebs.com/nedius

Offline IRolledA1

Re: Fan made 2D Space Hulk board tiles - feedback needed
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2009, 01:52:53 AM »
Not attractive, take out the square lines.  Warhammer is not a board game.  Sorry.  Can you print it out and take a picture of it with terminators standing on it?

It looks like it could be fun but it needs to allow things to move freely (not space by space(like a board game)).

If you really want you could also try to make 3D paper control panels, boxes, and barricades.  Just print, fold, and tape. (it looks kind of plain)

Random blood splashes, scorch marks, and bullet holes would make it look a lot better.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2009, 01:54:17 AM by IRolledA1 »
"Let's play a game of Russian Roulette!  I'll load the gun, you place the bet!  Tell me who will make it out alive!"

Offline finoro

• They couldn't hit a bull squiggoth at this range!
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2009, 04:35:13 AM »
This is for Space Hulk which is a board game and you need the squares marked on the board.

These look fine. You need more big spaces though 9x9s 3x3s that can link together and also cross roads.

Original Space Hulk tiles are too small for modern Terminator bases so I understand why you want to make your own but isn't there going to be some kind of intellectual property rights issue with you churning these out.

« Last Edit: January 18, 2009, 06:59:32 AM by finoro »
The farseers of the Eldar are rich in lore and know all the ways of skinning cats. Do not ask which way is best lest the knowledge burn your soul.

Offline nedius

• Hulkamaniac
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2009, 05:05:46 AM »
This is for Space Hulk which is a board game and you need the squares marked on the board.

These look fine. You need more big spaces though 9x9s that can link together and also cross roads.

Original Space Hulk tiles are too small for modern Terminator bases so I understand why you want to make your own but isn't there going to be some kind of intellectual property rights issue with you churning these out.

Quite right. Space Hulk was a board game, where you moved in squares rather than inches, hence the reason for the black lines. I do have more large corridors designed, 2 squares and 3 squares wide. However, they do look only slightly different to those shown here in terms of tile art. I'll add some images to the end of the post. As for the legal aspect, I can't see that there will be a problem. They would be freely distributed (along with the obvious copyright disclaimer), they're made by me rather than edited from GW originals, and if nothing else, these are just 'space ship' themed corridors. Lots of companies produce cardstock sci-fi corridor tiles, and show them in Space Hulk like layouts. GW themselves allowed the original tiles to be copied and printed out when they released Space Hulk Kill Team rules and the corridor pdfs.

IRolledA1, the 3D board I'm making is something that would be far more appropriate for 40K, as I said in my first post - It's more generic and useable for a number of games. The corridors are wide enough for normal models to stand two abreast, the rooms spacious enough for a couple of squads to fit in. The walls are all decordated with pipes, shelves with stuff on them, damage and refuse scattered around.

The 2D board will be for Space Hulk only; a board game, and hence the squares. However, I could fairly easily reduce/remove the black lines, as the squared tiles should still be useable.

And I'll see what I can do to ad the various decals you suggested (scorch marks etc.). They should add a bit more character.

Anyway, some of the other tiles I've come up with.

3D Space Hulk, Classic Genestealers, Napoleonic Imperial Guard, 40k: http://www.freewebs.com/nedius

Offline Lonewolf

• Cthulhu cultist, The Final Solution | Swarmlord | Staff Soap Spotter
  • Ancient
  • Murdering armies since 2003 - retired since 2012
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2009, 06:12:39 AM »
They look good enough. You probably know the Space Hulk tiles?

This one is also really cool

No problem, I'll give you a 100% increase in pay effective immediately and retroactive to 1999.

Offline nedius

• Hulkamaniac
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2009, 09:09:47 AM »
Yeah, I've got tiles from the 1st and 2nd Edition of the game. The 2nd edition ones are far better in terms of graphics, but both have the same problem of being too small for the new terminator bases.

I didn't know that file! Thanks for sharing it! They're a great set. They appear to be mostly made out of chunks of the GW 2nd Ed tileset reorganised into that new format. My tiles are more the old layout, but with completely new tiles. I'll look at that one closely to see if I can take any inspiration!

Offline Lonewolf

• Cthulhu cultist, The Final Solution | Swarmlord | Staff Soap Spotter
  • Ancient
  • Murdering armies since 2003 - retired since 2012
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2009, 11:27:38 AM »
I didn't know that file! Thanks for sharing it! They're a great set. They appear to be mostly made out of chunks of the GW 2nd Ed tileset reorganised into that new format. My tiles are more the old layout, but with completely new tiles. I'll look at that one closely to see if I can take any inspiration!

My brother and i also had in mind to play a couple of space hulk games so we searched a bit after tile sets. Sadly we never came around to actually play a game. I am happy that the searching wasnt completly a waste now  :)

No problem, I'll give you a 100% increase in pay effective immediately and retroactive to 1999.

Offline IRolledA1

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2009, 02:22:47 PM »
Whoops, pardon my ignorance. :P

I thought Space Hulk was a campaign from a mission book or something.  I was too young to have known about 40k at the time Space Hulk was out.

It does sound interesting, where are the rules for this game?  (maybe my uncle has some)  This is perfect for teaching some friends how to play!
"Let's play a game of Russian Roulette!  I'll load the gun, you place the bet!  Tell me who will make it out alive!"

Offline HeroZero

• 40K blog
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2009, 03:23:36 PM »
Nice looking tiles.

I'm a big space hulk fan, funny thing is I've never actually played a game. I remeber seeing people play space hulk at a convention back in 94 - 95. I thought it was awesome since it looked a lot like the game I was playing back then, Necromunda.

Now that I'm back into 40K and with all the Cheap Terminators I was wanting to get something like this myself.

Also, you can find the link to the kill team rules for Space Hulk on the OZ site here.

http://oz.games-workshop.com/games/40k/gaming/spacehulk/default.htm

Zero

Offline nedius

• Hulkamaniac
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2009, 03:51:00 AM »
I've got those all downloaded, but thank you Oz.games-workshop for preserving a lot of the old hobby articles that were lost when the UK website changed format!!!

A complete Space Hulk set will cost you anywhere between £50-£100 on ebay, but you can download both the 1st and 2nd ed rules on a few Space Hulk sites - but this conversation is really for the 'Non-40k gaming' forum.

Back to the 'terrain' - I'll see if I can find the Necron tile set when I get home and post an image of those, just so there's a comparison between my work and that of others.