News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: What Command Trait And Artifact Would You Recommend For Chaos?  (Read 1686 times)

Offline Calamity

• Concussor Concussed Dice | Captain
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Cocking up miniatures since 1998
  • Armies: Kharadron Overlords, Bloodbound, Celestial Lions
What Command Trait And Artifact Would You Recommend For Chaos?
« on: January 20, 2017, 07:03:38 PM »
I have a game coming up on Sunday with my Bloodbound and I'm pondering my command trait and artifact. Because I'm going up against stormcast, I'm leaning towards Dark Avenger, because it's benefits are widespread and unpredictable destruction is predictably unreliable. I'm completely at a loss for an artifact though. My general (a mighty Lord of Khorne) has been fairly poor in his performance so far and often dies very quickly, so perhaps something to keep him alive slightly longer would be best?

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
Re: What Command Trait And Artifact Would You Recommend For Chaos?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2017, 08:19:44 PM »
I find the Mighty Lord of Khorne fairly lackluster in combat as well (which is why I don't take him), but his command trait is amazing. I usually go with either the +1 wound, or the Chaos Talisman for the extra save. They are all fairly the same.

The command trait, depends on the army. Destruction, I take the -1 to hit rolls for my opponents first turn, and the anti-Order one for games against order. Lord of war is a more reliable +1 to hit for a unit, which is really nice. I almost never worry about the Chaos Allegiance ability, it's great when it does work, but I wont spend a lot of effort to make it better.

I usually take a Bloodstoker, Bloodsecrator, and Slaughterpriest as my main 3 heroes. Bloodthirster of unfitted fury, and Skarr Bloodwraith as extra.

Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2017, 10:28:05 AM »
It's a terrible shame he's so poor because I feel like he should be so much more powerful.

And I need to get a Slaughterpriest asap.  What kit would you recommend for them?

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2017, 10:54:24 AM »
I find both slaughterpriests are fine. I have the one with hackblade and wraithguard, as he came with the white dwarf. The one with the axe has a damage 2 weapon though, but potentially less attacks. Really, go with whichever looks best to you. Their prayers are the best part.

The mighty lord can be good if he's in range of the portal of Skulls and gets plus 1 attack. Also, if his axe of khorne pulls a powerful model into khornes realm, that's amazing. I just wish he was 20pts less.

I really want to make him work, as he's one of only a handful of models with a 3+ save. The blood stoker and bloodsecrator are such good buffing heroes though, I always need to save the points for them.

I really want to get a Skull grinder and hurl him at monsters and heroes for the lolz. 

Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2017, 02:56:54 PM »
A battle repot (of sorts) to...report.  I tried a slaughter priest with a bloodbathed axe.  He rolled a 1 twice in a roll when praying to Khorne and dam near killed himself.  Then on the third go he rolled a 6, followed by a 6 for blood boil  Bye bye Retributors.  Then on the fourth go he did the exact same thing.  Bye bye prosecutors.  By then my opponent conceded the game.  It was a boarder war.  I won 16 to 5.  Although I feel that it wasn't due to inspired tactics or anything like that.  I made quite a few mistakes even.  I just had more bodies to work with.  :P

The mighty Lord however...him and his command ability really came into their own.  Also during the one fight he got into he kicked some serious ass.  I was really happy with my command trait (dark avenger) and my artifact (favour of the gods).  All in all, a very good game.

• Ancient
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2017, 03:02:36 PM »
I love the missions in the handbook, Boarder War, Gifts from the Heavens and Places of Power are my favourite ones, for sure.

What size of game did you play, and what was in your list?

I've only run the Priest in a few games (a three round tournament and a few one off games). I seem to roll a lot of 2's for casting his powers, but blood boil is awesome when it goes off!

I'm glad your lord was able to get some action in.

Harlequin Army Blog

Azore of Austria

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2017, 03:11:14 PM »
I love the missions in the handbook, Boarder War, Gifts from the Heavens and Places of Power are my favourite ones, for sure.

What size of game did you play, and what was in your list?

I've only run the Priest in a few games (a three round tournament and a few one off games). I seem to roll a lot of 2's for casting his powers, but blood boil is awesome when it goes off!

I'm glad your lord was able to get some action in.

I'm fond of all those missions too.  The size of the game was 1100pts give or take.  I took the following:

A mighty Lord of Khorne
A blood secretor
A blood stoker
A slaughter priest
3 skull crushers
10 blood warriors
40 blood reavers
1 khorgorath

I was on the verge of writing the priest off but then he really turned it around.  And the Lord inflicted an impressive 8 wounds during one round with his axe.  Then his blood chipped in another wound on top of that.  I finally see what he's capable of if he just gets decent dice rolls.