News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: The FAQs for every codex has been released  (Read 1736 times)

Offline Grand Master Lomandalis

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
  • We were murderers first, last, and always!
  • Armies: Dark Angels, Custodes, Knights, Night Lords
The FAQs for every codex has been released
« on: January 20, 2017, 01:37:19 PM »
I was glad to see this come up on Facebook, but I am surprised that they have not update their FAQ page yet.  For now, you are going to have to get the FAQs from here:  FAQs for every Codex – live now! – Warhammer Community
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
Well I always liked the globals...
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
Re: The FAQs for every codex has been released
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2017, 01:41:57 PM »
Yikes to Imperial Knights, and Genestealer Cult. Also, glad they didn't do the crazy stuff with drop pods that was in the draft.

The Harlequin FAQ about a template scattering on a unit with viel of tears, was really interesting as well. Have not read though them all yet.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2017, 02:09:32 PM »
Yikes to Imperial Knights, and Genestealer Cult. Also, glad they didn't do the crazy stuff with drop pods that was in the draft.

The Harlequin FAQ about a template scattering on a unit with viel of tears, was really interesting as well. Have not read though them all yet.

Which part of the Knights and Cult makes you go "yikes"?

And the Veil of Tears rule is only if the template is place over the unit, not if it scatters.  This ruling makes it very tempting to have Troupes standing close to Star Weavers to give them protection from Blast weapons.

Some of the things that caught my eye:

Dark Angels
  • We need to now reference both the C:DA FAQ and the C:SM FAQ because they did not duplicate the answers to questions.
  • beslubberers had their chance to give first turn Deep Strike back to the Deathwing and beslubbered it up.  Even went further saying that an army using the Deathwing Strike Force or Redemption Force are designed to work with other detachments / formations; and they even flat out say that if you build a list using only Deathwing, then you will lose at the end of the first turn (not that I am bitter about this bullamphetamine parrot or anything).
  • Ravenwing Support Squadron have Stealth and Shrouded, and can Overwatch when they are charged themselves.
  • Grim Resolve trumps Invisibility.
Harlequins
  • Solitaire confirmed to kick ass with both the Caress and Kiss
  • Veil of Tears got a boost against blast weapons by working if the template is place to cover the affected unit despite them not being the target (wow)
Imperial Knights
  • Arm mounted weapons have 90o fire arcs like sponsons
  • Ion Shield takes effect depending on the location of the firing unit
Officio Assassinorum
  • No boosting to hit rolls against a Culexus Assassin
Space Marines
  • Apothecaries can't carry special weapons
  • Drop Pod doors are flat out ignored
  • Drop Pods that are partially off the table and partially over a unit will Mishap instead of reducing their scatter (that's huge)

If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2017, 04:47:18 PM »
I think it might be an actual tactic to surround tanks and other units with Harlequins effected by the Viel, so they become immune to templates lol.

Genestealer Cults are confirmed to be hurt by servo skulls (and other things which effect infiltrate) and Interceptor and the like. This means that any Eldar, Tau and Imperial army, for 34pts, can stop GSC from doing any deployment shenanigans, while anything with interceptor can chew through any units that show up later on.

Knights have a sever reduction in the arc of fire for their weapons, opening up large blind spots, as per the FAQ. Both guns can't even shoot at a model directly in front of them as per the diagram in the FAQ.

Also, for my KDK, if my Chaos Lord has the Axe of Ruin, and gets turned into a Bloodthirster Via Blood Tithe, I get twooo Bloodthirsters! lol. That's amazing.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2017, 07:28:35 PM »
Knights have a sever reduction in the arc of fire for their weapons, opening up large blind spots, as per the FAQ. Both guns can't even shoot at a model directly in front of them as per the diagram in the FAQ.
What I don't get about this one is what was wrong with the idea of "if I can point my gun at it, I can hit it."  They even refer you to the sponson rules which says point gun / shoot gun.  If they were going to limit the Knights to a 90o angle like that, they could have at least done it so that the fields of fire overlapped.  Especially since the arm guns can't turn out to a full 90o to the sides.

Actually, I just pulled one of my Knights out to see what their weapon arcs are like.  The blind spot is wide enough to hide a Vindicator!  I'm sorry, but seeing that pisses me off.  So much so that I recorded a video on my phone to show that the guns can't go perpendicular to the front facing and left a rather length comment on the 40k Facebook page.  So far they have seemed rather responsive to other people's comments.  I wonder if I will get a response or not.
I knew I had fans!!!

• Ancient
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2017, 10:49:38 PM »
Pretty brutal indeed.

I liked knights having the same rules as walkers. 180 degree arc from the front.

That prevented knights shooting behind themselves and other such sillyness.
Harlequin Army Blog

Azore of Austria

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2017, 12:20:45 AM »
Pretty brutal indeed.

I liked knights having the same rules as walkers. 180 degree arc from the front.

That prevented knights shooting behind themselves and other such sillyness.

That was old rules.  Walkers are limited to 45o degrees, or 22.5o per side.
I knew I had fans!!!

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Orks, Chaos Space Marines, Eldar, Dark Eldar
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2017, 10:07:33 AM »
Thanks for the link GML. Those were some really great reads. I really liked the answer for how Kharn deals with invisible units. Definitely ups his value with today's psychic meta.