News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 1850 Retro Dark Angels  (Read 2769 times)

Offline Grand Master Lomandalis

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
  • We were murderers first, last, and always!
  • Armies: Dark Angels, Custodes, Knights, Night Lords
1850 Retro Dark Angels
« on: January 16, 2017, 10:44:23 PM »
There is a local tournament coming up that is going retro in the army comp rules.  It's using the old school CAD and is restricted to one codex.  No Lords of War, no Fortifications, no formations, and any named characters (like Azrael) who are Lords of War are counted as HQ models (Killersquid, I fired you a message on Facebook with the details).

After seriously wracking my brain and screwing around on Army Builder, this is what I came up with:

HQ
Ezekiel145pts

Company Master (Warlord):  Terminator Armour, Storm Shield, Mace of Redemption.  155pts

Elites
Deathwing Command Squad  535pts
  • Apothecary
  • Champion
  • 3x Thunder Hammer / Storm Shields (1x Deathwing Company Standard)
  • Land Raider Crusader w/ Extra Armour
Command Squad:  5 Grav-guns, Sacred Standard, Drop Pod.  235pts

Venerable Dreadnought:  Multi-Melta, Drop Pod.  160pts

Troops
5 Tactical Marines:  Plasma Gun, Drop Pod.  120pts

5 Tactical Marines:  Lascannon.  90pts

Fast Attack
Ravenwing Land Speeder:  Assault Cannon / Heavy Bolter.  70pts

Ravenwing Dark Shroud80pts

Heavy Support
Predator:  Autocannon / Heavy Bolters.  95pts

Predator:  Autocannon / Heavy Bolters.  95pts

Total Points:  1850
Model Count:  31
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 11:39:51 AM by Grand Master Lomandalis »
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
Well I always liked the globals...
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
Re: 1850 Retro Dark Angels
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2017, 06:59:57 AM »
Hey GML, is the comp using 2nd edition percentages on army composition? Like 50% points invested in HQ and the like? Just wondering.

Either way I love this list. If old school is what you were going for mission accomplished. The Grav-Command squad and the Dark Shroud (+Landspeeders) give it enough a new school twist to keep things competitive.

I think this'll look sick on the tabletop too. Although... I think Ezekiel will add a lot to your force too especially with those Terminators. Really fun and epic list. Let us know how it does!
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2017, 11:47:54 AM »
Hey GML, is the comp using 2nd edition percentages on army composition? Like 50% points invested in HQ and the like? Just wondering.
No, just using force org chart that had been used since 3rd ed.

Either way I love this list. If old school is what you were going for mission accomplished. The Grav-Command squad and the Dark Shroud (+Landspeeders) give it enough a new school twist to keep things competitive.

I think this'll look sick on the tabletop too. Although... I think Ezekiel will add a lot to your force too especially with those Terminators. Really fun and epic list. Let us know how it does!
I've used 'Zeke with a Command Squad like that many times, and it has always done exactly what I expected it to.  Beat face.  Those Terminators get 5 attacks on the charge, which is more than enough to deal with any threat on the field (as long as they are able to make it there).  I was initially planning on having Azrael ride with them, so he can choose his Warlord trait and give the raider an Invulnerable save, but dropping to the Company Master freed up 60 points for me to use elsewhere.
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2017, 03:51:29 PM »
I hear you man. I've got almost exactly the same thing in mind for my Dark Angels. TH/SS Terminators are SO under valued. I like mine in a Raven but then you have start mixing in C:SM stuff but I love them to death either way. Every time they've been fielded against me they've put a world of hurt on my Eldar.

I'm guessing you are just gonna Prescience them to guarantee those vital hits right?

Yeah I'd love Azrael in there but I hear you... saving 60pts is a big freaking deal.

Love the list, love the models. Please let us know how you do. Good luck to you and all the proud sons of the 1st Legion!

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2017, 04:35:23 PM »
The one thing I am torn on is whether I want to stick with the Company Master, or swap him out for a Lvl 2 Librarian that will ride with the Command Squad to give them Prescience.

The more I think about it, the more I lean towards doing that.  Drop the Plasma Gun in the Tactical Squad to a Melta Gun, and give the Librarian an Auspex, and that gives me enough points to add in a Whirlwind for amphetamine parrots and giggles.
I knew I had fans!!!

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2017, 02:09:02 PM »
Wow thats a really good idea GML. I love the Chapter Master, but a Librarian with an Auspex riding with the Grav-Vets would really be a nasty little Alpha Strike, especially in the comped format.

The Whirlwind while a little weak, is actually quite annoying. It just blasting away at you, annoying you more than anything else, but its something you want to get rid of but dont feel like wasting shots on. Especially with a Land Raider full of Termies, Grav-Vets and a couple of nasty Librarians running around.

I really do like this list. Make sure you take a couple of photos, I'd love to see visually what it looks like as a whole.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2017, 08:38:05 PM »
The Whirlwind while a little weak, is actually quite annoying.
I totally agree that it is a very weak selection to take.  However, I don't really see any other option that I could take for exactly 65pts.  I mean, I could keep the Melta Gun as a Plasma Gun and take a Melta Attack Bike.  But then again, I just like the reaction you get from opponents: "You brought a Whirlwind?!?  Who the beslubber does that?!"
I knew I had fans!!!

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2017, 07:09:03 AM »
Hahaha, I've actually faced a couple of Whirlwinds in the past few years and they've been a royal pain since I run a lot of low toughness infantry with my Eldar. I think I faced them in their formation... again they are probably gonna get ignored and just sit their pounding away for a few turns. For 65pts I say who cares and let the poor model shake off the rust and dust and have some fun

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2017, 12:07:45 AM »
I've actually reworked the list a bit after some serious thinking, and this is what I have come out with:

HQ
Ezekiel145pts

Librarian (Warlord):  Combi-Grav, Auspex, Force Sword, Lvl 2.  105pts

Elites
Deathwing Command Squad  535pts
  • Apothecary
  • Champion
  • 3x Thunder Hammer / Storm Shields (1x Deathwing Company Standard)
  • Land Raider Crusader w/ Extra Armour
Command Squad:  5 Grav-guns, Sacred Standard, Drop Pod.  235pts

Troops
5 Tactical Marines:  Melta Gun, Drop Pod.  115pts

5 Tactical Marines:  Melta Gun, Drop Pod.  115pts

Fast Attack

Ravenwing Dark Shroud80pts

Heavy Support
5 Devastators:  4 Plasma Cannons.  130pts

Vindicator:  Dozer Blade.  125pts

Vindicator:  Dozer Blade.  125pts

Total Points:  1850
Model Count:  35

I could drop the Devastators to add a third Vindicator and run them as a squadron to get the Linebreaker Bombardment, but I know they will be target #1 and there is a good chance that I will never fire that massive blast. 

Overall, though, I think this is probably one of the most balanced lists I have made in a long time.  It has a hard hitting Death Star unit, a good number of scoring units, a good hard counter to units that are hard to kill, high strength blast weaponry to punish clumping, and some fast reactive units with decent anti-infantry firepower.
I knew I had fans!!!

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2017, 07:40:39 AM »
Again as far as classic lists go I think this is very strong. Hell, I'd take this in a normal game just for fun! I like how it has an aggressive, attacking wing... good balance of anti-tank/infantry, very good combat power, VERY good psychic units, and I actually like the Vindicator/Plasma Cannon Dev combination. Its very solid defense for your own DZ and if you can really dominate mid-board with lots of low AP blast weaponry, just keeping them alive will be the trick...  but if you are blasting ahead with all those other units right in there face, its gonna be tough to focus on stuff with 24" range. Overall Very solid!

Quick question, don't have my codex on hand.... but what does the Champion have in the DW Command squad? Is it a relic blade?

Either way I really like this list... I think it'll play good, its got a good mix of speed and armor that can attack you in different ways, reach out and touch any area of the table. Just be careful with those Vindicators and you should be fine. I wouldn't hesitate to reserve them if need be... as they may be more important in the mid-rounds of the game then early... other than that great stuff GML. Snap some pics for us if you can... I think this army will look great on the board

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2017, 05:01:55 PM »
Quick question, don't have my codex on hand.... but what does the Champion have in the DW Command squad? Is it a relic blade?
Effectively.  He has the Halberd of Caliban, which has a better AP value than the Relic Blade.
I knew I had fans!!!

Offline Aurics Pride

• Aspect Warrior
  • I tread the hidden path.....
  • Armies: Eldar, Raven Guard, Slaanesh
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2017, 01:41:45 PM »
Really like that reworked list of yours, you've nailed on what Dark Angels are to me with this list.
Lovely and balanced with a decent amount of Plasma and you've put in the units that really make the Dark Angels special. Really like it!  8)
+++ VICTORUS AUT MORTIS +++

My Army Blog (Corsair & Raven Guard: Here

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2017, 04:51:18 PM »
I keep forgetting to take pictures when I go to tournaments!

Anyways, the tournament was pretty good considering half of the regulars didn't show up.  We were expecting maybe 6 once we got word of how many people weren't going to show, and wound up with 14 people attending!

The one thing we found from this format is that Eldar and Tau dominate.  There were two Eldar players and one Tau.  They all finished top 3.

As for how the day went for me, my first game was against Eldar and my rolling was terrible.  I mean, in my first two turns, I think I killed maybe two jetbikes.  I had held back the Command Squad and they didn't come in until turn three to kill a squad of 5 Wraithguard before getting blasted off the table.  I couldn't make a save or kill anything.  Needless to say, I lost that game... badly.

Second game was against Space Wolves, and he is one of the more regular guys, but he is not really good at the game despite having played for years.  He had the Wolf flyer thing and forgot to do anything with it for three turns once it came in for reserves even after I reminded him about it every turn.  He'd run a unit of Blood Claws out into the open, tightly packed and within range of both vindicators.  So no surprise that I won that one.

Third game was against an Ork player that is just returning to the game after being out of it for many years.  I seized initiative on him, and in the first turn I managed to destroy his Morkanaught; immobilize his battle wagon; and destroy two trucks.  His Orks then walked into my gun line and it was going well for me until I wanted to have fun and committed my Death start to fighting his War boss and friends.  I still managed the win, but it was closer than it should have been. 

It turns out that in that last game, he and I were tied for votes on best army appearance based on votes from the other players, with the tie breaker being battle points.  So because I won the game, I also won best appearance and got $50 store credit.  Doubled my money!
I knew I had fans!!!