News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Blood Bowl references  (Read 1896 times)

Offline Faeluchu

• Let the sunshine in!
  • Armies: Yme-Loc Eldar
Blood Bowl references
« on: January 14, 2017, 04:02:42 PM »
Soo I've read the "Origins of Blood Bowl" section from the new Blood Bowl set and while there are many references that I do get - like all the TV stations, the battle of Slamford Bridge, Albion Wanderers who invented football etc, I do think that there are a few that still elude me: most notably, the name of the god Nuffle who is the inspiration of the game and the name of the Dwarf who deciphered the rules, commissioner Roze-El. Is there, as I suspect, any real-world reference to those names (especially Nuffle), or am I reading too much into them since there are so many references in other places?
"Tylko jeśli szybowałeś przez niebo na skrzydłach z ognia możesz zrozumieć Jastrzębia"

BYB is too close to BYOB (Bring Your Own Booze) which is how I started gaming anyways. The proper way.

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
Re: Blood Bowl references
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2017, 04:23:17 PM »
There are plenty of real world references. Nuffle, is based on NFL, but trying to say it as a word, not initials. I don't know much about the NFL, but I'm sure that some of the references are based off coaches, or founding members of the organisation.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Once held an Utter Fear of Tiny Diamonds
  • Armies: I 'play' Eldar. Or at least horde unpainted models
Re: Blood Bowl references
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2017, 04:30:47 PM »
Pete Rozelle was, I believe, one of the first, if not the first commissioner of the NFL following the merge of leagues in the 60s.

In fact, per Wikipedia:

Alvin Ray "Pete" Rozelle (/roʊˈzɛl/; March 1, 1926 – December 6, 1996) was the commissioner of the National Football League for nearly thirty years, from January 1960 to November 1989, when he retired from office. He is credited with making the NFL into one of the most successful sports leagues in the world
« Last Edit: January 14, 2017, 04:34:47 PM by Looshkin »
WD127 - Started a Love Affair my Wallet Just Can't Cope With...