News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: New Eldar Mini Hint: Gyrinx  (Read 3816 times)

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Once held an Utter Fear of Tiny Diamonds
  • Armies: I 'play' Eldar. Or at least horde unpainted models
New Eldar Mini Hint: Gyrinx
« on: January 13, 2017, 01:21:51 PM »
Hi guys, saw this and I thought I'd leave it here:

WHTV Tip of the Day - Gyrinx. - YouTube

Duncan painting a Gyrinx!

From the 40k Lexicanium:
The Gyrinx (also Grynix) is a cat-like creature used by both human and Eldar psykers as a familiar, augmenting its user's psychic abilities.[1]

There have been rumours knocking about that there will be a xenon version of the heroes of the Imperium set, and I think this is another nod in that direction.

It's a larger than normal base, so what do we think it could be? I have my own thoughts, but I'm interested to know yours!
WD127 - Started a Love Affair my Wallet Just Can't Cope With...

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Re: New Eldar Mini Hint: Gyrinx
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2017, 02:36:32 PM »
Is it not likely to be the Harlequin Shadowseer Sylandri Veilwalker that is listed in the Dramatis Personae of the Fall of Cadia?
Quote from: Starrakatt
"Russ, get your work done or you won't see your damn console for the next month!"
Quote from: Cavalier
Honestly Alienscar, we get it... you dont like painting!

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2017, 03:03:12 AM »
Is it not likely to be the Harlequin Shadowseer Sylandri Veilwalker that is listed in the Dramatis Personae of the Fall of Cadia?

It really could be, but the base in the tutorial is pretty damn big, I can't imagine a Harlequin  Shadower, no matter how dynamic the posing, would fill the base sufficiently to warrant the big base.

There are a couple of images from the book (They're floating around on Natfka and BOLS for 2), that portray an Eldar that looks part way between CWE and Dark Eldar...the armour looks different, but with similar stylings to both. Maybe it's that guy. Maybe it's something that we haven't seen yet.

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2017, 07:40:03 AM »
From the size and shape of the base, the modle which is mounted on it, has to be mounted on either a bike or some kind of critter.

I doubt the model with the cat is too bulky, or there would be no room for the cat as well.

I'm going to guess some exodite dude, as a jetbike doesn't seem to fit the asthetic as well.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2017, 07:54:59 AM »
Just to throw out an original idea, I think it might be the rumored, re-imagined Y'riel Champion of Cegorach. It was said he came on an ornate wraithbone style base.

But I think KS is on the money. An Exodite Dragonknight is probably more likely. I will freak if this is true!

Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Grand Master Lomandalis

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
  • We were murderers first, last, and always!
  • Armies: Dark Angels, Custodes, Knights, Night Lords
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2017, 12:32:01 PM »
At the rate GW is bringing back the old, obscure armies of 2nd ed, I wouldn't be surprised if they do release an Exodite army in a similar style to Harlequins.
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
Well I always liked the globals...
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2017, 02:56:52 PM »
From the size and shape of the base, the modle which is mounted on it, has to be mounted on either a bike or some kind of critter.

Belisarius Cawl is mounted on a very large oval base though and he is neither a critter nor a bike. Is there a chance that the new Veilwalker model could be a special character along the lines of Cawl?
Quote from: Starrakatt
"Russ, get your work done or you won't see your damn console for the next month!"
Quote from: Cavalier
Honestly Alienscar, we get it... you dont like painting!

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2017, 04:08:21 PM »
Doubt it. Crawl is a diffrent weight class than an eldar. No matter how elaborate the pose is. If there is a shadow seer character model, I see it being on a 32mm or 40mm base maximum.

Big ovals, are limited for mounted miniatures, war machines and monsters.

Also, the way the cat is glued to the base, is perfect for a mounted character to be next to it.

Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Lorizael

• GW Shill: Infinity Circuit: Synergistic Spotter of Numpties
  • Ancient
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2017, 06:01:31 PM »
I like the idea of a mounted character. Shadowseer on skyweaver..? :D With the Gyrinx teleporting along beside it..!

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2017, 04:43:31 AM »
Well, per the Warhammer Facebook page, there is a 'bounty' for this Gyrinx.

http://scontent.flhr2-2.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/16114692_1759505194370112_9016525166269402868_n.jpg?oh=4a450bde04113e7e927cdddedd9514bd&oe=58D5BA24

I'm assuming when they say 'Reward available, payment in Soulstone Gems, Captured Slaves or Jokes' that is a direct reference to the contents of the box. So I'm guessing 1 CWE mini, 1 DE mini and 1 Harlequin.

Update time!

And now we have our answer!

Gathering Storm II – First Look – Warhammer Community

Personally, I think those miniatures are stunning. The Visarch and Yvaine are both beautiful, but the Avatar of Ynnead is all kinds of cool. The way the character interacts with the smoke, the smoke with the base/terrain...just mind blowing how cool it is. I think it looks far more organic and free flowing than other, similar styles of mini, like some of the death range in AoS. Just tremendous.

So, in effect, we were all wrong!  ;)
« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 01:36:09 PM by Looshkin »

Offline Fenris

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Eldar, Aeldari
« Reply #10 on: February 5, 2017, 05:59:31 PM »
I don't know if it fits here, but rumours are there is a warlord trait that allows you to pick your psychic powers, if say the emissary gets this trait by default it would be quite powerful.
Now let's see Invisibility, Gate of infinity, Laugh of sorrows?
Ego in propria persona, non compos mentis.

Offline Aurics Pride

• Aspect Warrior
  • I tread the hidden path.....
  • Armies: Eldar, Raven Guard, Slaanesh
« Reply #11 on: February 5, 2017, 11:13:31 PM »
I don't know if it fits here, but rumours are there is a warlord trait that allows you to pick your psychic powers, if say the emissary gets this trait by default it would be quite powerful.
Now let's see Invisibility, Gate of infinity, Laugh of sorrows?
It's also been confirmed that there is going to be a new Psychic discipline coming with the new book, I wouldn't be surprised if it was limited to just the new discipline.
+++ VICTORUS AUT MORTIS +++

My Army Blog (Corsair & Raven Guard: Here

Offline Fenris

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Eldar, Aeldari
« Reply #12 on: February 6, 2017, 04:35:12 AM »
@Aurics Pride: It may, while my source tells me it does not specifically say it's restricted to that discipline.
The psykers who can get that warlord trait may however be restricted in what disciplines they can take, especially if there is a psyker that gets that warlord trait natively.

There is also a rumour that the emissary can increase it's mastery level by Aeldari (the name for all eldar) psykers nearby dying, allowing the emissary to roll(/maybe even pick) powers during the game.
Another rumour talks about a rule which says roll twice on the perils table and apply both.
Maybe eldar psykers are going to be even more suicidal.
Ego in propria persona, non compos mentis.

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #13 on: February 6, 2017, 05:17:29 PM »

There is also a rumour that the emissary can increase it's mastery level by Aeldari (the name for all eldar) psykers nearby dying, allowing the emissary to roll(/maybe even pick) powers during the game.
Another rumour talks about a rule which says roll twice on the perils table and apply both.
Maybe eldar psykers are going to be even more suicidal.

If that's the case, I can see players taking a Warlock tax for units and than putting them front and centre in the unit in a plan to get them killed early in the game. Doesn't seem particularly Eldar to me...(Even if they don't fear death quite so much anymore...)