News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Deathwing WIP  (Read 2235 times)

Offline Grand Master Lomandalis

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
  • We were murderers first, last, and always!
  • Armies: Dark Angels, Custodes, Knights, Night Lords
Deathwing WIP
« on: December 29, 2016, 09:17:10 PM »
I would label this as "Deathwing Terminators," but it includes more than just that.  Right now I am in the process of painting up some new Deathwing models which includes:

• Deathwing Sergeant
  • Deathwing Champion
  • Deathwing Apothecary
  • 5 Deathwing Knights
  • 5 Tartaros Pattern Terminators
  • Contemptor Pattern Dreadnought.

I've been line painting them because I want to do it all at once, but I jumped a bit ahead tonight on the Sergeant because I wanted to see what the armour would look like when it is finished compared to my old paint scheme.  As it turns out, I rather like it.  It is still very similar, but there is enough of a difference that I think I may wind up repainting my Deathwing at some point.

Or not.  Because... you know... that's a lot of beslubbering Terminators to repaint.

Anyways, here are the comparison shots of my old Terminator vs new.

If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
Well I always liked the globals...
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
Re: Deathwing WIP
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2016, 07:34:15 AM »
Wow both models are really nice. But which one is new and which is old?

I really like both... particularly the paler shade of bone. Also the black robes on the sarge look really nice are you going to keep them that way? I think that'd look brilliant.

About those Tartaros Terminators... are they the new plastic ones or the resin ones? I'm working on a squad of Heresy era resin ones and I'm total love with them. Can't wait to see which ones you get.

Great stuff as always GML can't wait to see this collection of models painted up. I'm jealous!
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2016, 04:40:11 PM »
The model on the left is the new one.

I had thought about painting the robes green, but now that you mention black... That is an interesting idea.

The Tartaros Terminaitrs are the plastic ones from Prospero.

Jumped ahead on the Sergeant and finished him up completely.  Well, mostly.  I have to do a wash on the metallics, but it is complete for the most part.

« Last Edit: December 31, 2016, 12:33:46 AM by Grand Master Lomandalis »
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #3 on: January 1, 2017, 07:55:02 AM »
Wow great work GML. Super nice paint jobs all round. I love how you kept the plating ALL white... GW tries to break up the look with different colored plates and all that, but I think the way you did it looks fantastic. Very stark, very iconic... you see these dudes on the tabletop and you know exactly who they are. I like how you employed the same thing with the wings on the Sarge... I think GW did the sort of bone where the wings attach gold or something, but the White makes it look far, far better. I think it keeps them from looking too busy all these bits and bobs sort of breaking up the visual flow of the model.

Really love these guys GML. Happy New year bud :)
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline malicant

• "It is not blood that binds us..."
« Reply #4 on: January 1, 2017, 08:00:45 AM »
I like the bone colour.  The GW scheme for death wing always struck me as being a little too clean and cartoon-like, but you've made it look more real.  These models will look very good when they're finished.

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Once held an Utter Fear of Tiny Diamonds
  • Armies: I 'play' Eldar. Or at least horde unpainted models
« Reply #5 on: January 2, 2017, 03:05:44 AM »
That new DW Sgt is superb GML. The white is really good. Could I ask what recipe you use to get that finish?
WD127 - Started a Love Affair my Wallet Just Can't Cope With...

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 2, 2017, 11:17:57 AM »
That new DW Sgt is superb GML. The white is really good. Could I ask what recipe you use to get that finish?
Process used for painting the armour white
  • Ushabti Bone
  • Wash with watered down Dryad Bark (affectionately known as the Paint of the Gods)
  • Touch up with Ushabti again, leaving  shaded areas visible
  • 50/50 Ushabti Bone / White Scar for major areas of plate and beginning of highlight layers
  • White Scar for edge highlights.
I knew I had fans!!!

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Once held an Utter Fear of Tiny Diamonds
  • Armies: I 'play' Eldar. Or at least horde unpainted models
« Reply #7 on: January 2, 2017, 11:36:18 AM »

Process used for painting the armour white
  • Ushabti Bone
  • Wash with watered down Dryad Bark (affectionately known as the Paint of the Gods)
  • Touch up with Ushabti again, leaving  shaded areas visible
  • 50/50 Ushabti Bone / White Scar for major areas of plate and beginning of highlight layers
  • White Scar for edge highlights.

Awesome, thanks for that. I just love that you get a far smoother, more subtle transition, but the highlights seem to pop a lot more.
WD127 - Started a Love Affair my Wallet Just Can't Cope With...

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
« Reply #8 on: January 2, 2017, 12:09:33 PM »
The real question, is how well do these terminators fair against chaos spawn.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: January 2, 2017, 02:00:30 PM »
The real question, is how well do these terminators fair against chaos spawn.
As long as there is a single Terminator remaining in the army, I think we have established that the answer is "victorious!"
I knew I had fans!!!