News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Making a Slaanesh Knight Titan.  (Read 7185 times)

Offline Aurics Pride

• Aspect Warrior
  • I tread the hidden path.....
  • Armies: Eldar, Raven Guard, Slaanesh
Making a Slaanesh Knight Titan.
« on: December 20, 2016, 01:03:54 PM »
Hi Guys,
I hope it's ok me starting a new thread in here as another bit of a project blog.
I have just embarked on a fairly big conversion project (for me anyway!)
My aim for this project is to make a Daemonically possessed Knight titan that will fit in with my Chaos Daemon army and also with an Emperor's Children army should I start one next year.
It is going to be a big challenge for me to try and improve my scratchbuilding and greenstuff work, I have been doing a lot of research of tutorials and videos on youtube for tips and tricks.
I'm not set on exactly how I want the Knight to look so if you have any ideas that you think may be cool then please feel free to make suggestions, I am particularly in need of a decent face for it! The Daemon Prince heads seem just a little bit too small.

----------------------------------------------------------
For my first update,
It wouldn't be a Slaanesh Knight without something to make a bit of noise!
My first piece of scratch building has been to make some Organ pipes to go ontop of the Knight's carapace, I will likely green stuff the base of them to make it look like Daemonic flesh that they have burst through.

+++ VICTORUS AUT MORTIS +++

My Army Blog (Corsair & Raven Guard: Here

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
Re: Making a Slaanesh Knight Titan.
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2016, 07:18:39 AM »
Oh hell yeah, can't wait to see where this goes! Love the "organs" thats some classic 40k stuff right there.

As for the face... you could always try and find some kind of action figure or resin statuette or something like that with a creepy face. Maybe some kind of Wayne Barlowe's Inferno type sculpt... that would be cool if you wanted a more daemonic face type look.

Anyway can't wait to see where this goes man. You are on a roll... keep it up!
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Aurics Pride

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2017, 06:47:50 AM »
So I've not been very productive recently!
Over the Christmas period I got hardly anything done and work over the last couple of weeks has been so busy I've barely picked up a paintbrush or my clippers!

I have however managed to build the legs (With a lot more converting left to do) done the basic bits of the base and also started converting the close combat weapon!

For the base I have used Superfine Milliput to give it a bit of an uneven surface and using a couple of bits out of a Tyranid kit and some tentacle looking bits out of the Seeker Chariot box I've built up what I plan to be some form of cursed earth! I really want this guy to look extra tainted so the base should help with that.

For the weapon I didn't really think that a massive Chainsaw was graceful enough for Slaanesh so I looked into a few ideas! I looked into doing a massive whip but was struggling to come up with decent looking models to steal from. I then saw a picture of Lucius the Eternal that made me think a nice Sabre would do the trick, one quick look through my bits box and lo and behold............. a Wraithknight blade! after some greenstuff to fill a few gaps I have provisionally mounted it on to the current arm, I'm not happy with how it looks at the moment, more will be done to make it look like it meshes into the model better.

I am still having some issues finding a decent head to use for this guy, currently searching through all sorts of AoS and 3rd party models for inspiration.

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2017, 07:17:05 AM »
Fantastic conversion on that blade man! Wow... would never of though it'd work but its sickening! Absolutely love it, perfect for Slaanesh.

Just a little outside the box thinking on the headswap... I always wanted to dip into Gundam bits for a knight conversion (and I will at some point). The Palace-Athene head might look really cool if you can find a compatible scale (which shouldn't be too hard considering the crazy variety of scales available).

The horn might not work, but the face is really cool. Any of the models from Universal Century Gundam (the originals of which I'm an abiding hardcore fan) have tremendous potential for bits harvesting IMO. Anything from Gundam, Zeta Gundam or anything designed my Makoto Kobayashi who favors a really gritty look might for an Imperial Knight.

Anyway bro I'll delete these photos after you see this post. Don't want to clutter up your project. Let me know what you think. Might be too far out there but hey, thought it might open some doors to some new bits sources for you  8) 8) 8)
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 08:28:17 AM by Cavalier »

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Orks, Chaos Space Marines, Eldar, Dark Eldar
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2017, 08:17:33 AM »
Very cool so far. I'm not sure if you want to go more demonic, but the Drycha Hamadreth from the AOS line looks like it has some potential for kitbashing. Not sure if it's a perfect match to scale, but it might be close.

Offline Aurics Pride

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2017, 06:37:19 AM »
Cheers guys,
To be honest I think the reason I am struggling so much to find a decent head replacement is because I don't really have a clear vision of what I want and I can't really find any decent inspiration on my usual places (Google Image search, Pintrest etc). I do quite like the Drycha and it's kinda giving me the idea of maybe a Daemonette breaking through the hull. At the moment though I am leaning towards using the Skull head (The Ad-mech one) as the model itself is already looking pretty daemonic!
@Cav- I do like the Gundam stuff and was thinking of a couple of Tau conversions using them, not sure they'd fit in that well with the Slaanesh theme though.

I've had a pretty good morning for progress today, so far I have managed:

Magnetised the Battle Cannon and Thermal Cannon and done the basis of a Serpent wrapped around the barrel of the Battle Cannon. Gonna need some more work when the Green Stuff is dried though.

Made the Shoulder pads a bit more spiky using some of the arms from the Seeker box and some Green stuff.

I made the Sword arm a bit more Daemonic using some Tentacles bursting out of the arm, It kinda takes away the slightly awkward transition from the arm to the blade as well.

And finally I did some work on the top of the Carapace, adding some spikes at the front:

And then mounted the Organ pipes and a Slaanesh banner pole.

All of the Green stuff areas are going to be painted to match the skin of my Daemonettes and Seekers. I'm not convinced that I have done that great a job on the sculpting of the Green stuff, I am a little worried that it's going to turn out quite Nurgle-ish! It will certainly look very Daemonic though.

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2017, 08:00:50 AM »
Looking really great Auric. I think if you can keep the demonic flesh relatively smooth (think leathery) it will turn out more slaanesh than nurgle. Imagine the sewn together cloak on the new dark eldar archon. If you go more twisted flesh, I think you do run that risk of looking to nurgle. Keep it tight and smooth and you'll be fine. Liquid green stuff does well to smooth out the transitions. Just my two cents. Keep up the awesome conversion, it's looking sick!

Offline Aurics Pride

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2017, 08:16:52 AM »
Looking really great Auric. I think if you can keep the demonic flesh relatively smooth (think leathery) it will turn out more slaanesh than nurgle. Imagine the sewn together cloak on the new dark eldar archon. If you go more twisted flesh, I think you do run that risk of looking to nurgle. Keep it tight and smooth and you'll be fine. Liquid green stuff does well to smooth out the transitions. Just my two cents. Keep up the awesome conversion, it's looking sick!

Thanks for the tip, that actually makes a lot of sense!
I've just put a coat of Liquid green stuff over some of it and I am already a bit happier with it.
Progress will sadly be halted by having to go to work this afternoon but will be back on it tomorrow for some more!

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2017, 08:27:56 AM »
Absolutley sick. Totally loving it man.... wow this is really coming along nicely. Total proof that the FW "upgrade" kit is really not worth it.. investing in leveling up those hobby skills is where its at and doing it yourself is the best way.

This looks really great man. The serpent like growths really blend everything together so nicely. Love the sort of spikey cowl that'll go over the Knights head. Reminds me of the Chaos Warhound which looks so menacing with that spikey cowl.

The Spikes look great on the shoulder pads too.

Fantastic work as always AP. Keep it up!

Offline Aurics Pride

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2017, 08:21:48 AM »
So I've had another very productive morning and now I am truly rolling with this guy!

The Carapace is almost all finished now, I am very happy with it so far. Definitely has a Slaanesh feel to it.

I've also added some Tentacles to the ranged weapon arm as well.

I've decided to go with the Skull face that comes with the kit as with the Tentacles etc it's looking very daemonic. Just trying to decide what to do with the legs and particularly the Leg and Chest armour plates. I like them as they are as it does have a look of corrupted Emperors Children to it but I am slightly concious that if I leave the legs relatively normal it'll look a bit out of place with the heavily converted upper body.

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2017, 09:55:17 AM »
I really like the effect that you have achieved with the tentacles.  They certainly do convey the sinuous nature of Slaanesh.  The whole model is looking very impressive.
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2017, 10:03:00 AM »
Love the choice of head. I think it fits your theme well. Adding more tentacles to the lower half of the model I think would show as excessive and you'd lose the overall effect. Have you thought about adding chains to the lower half? They will give a similar flow to the model as the tentacles do, but break up the model better. I've always felt chains represented Slaanesh well. You could even get fancy and put actual metal chain that would move as the titan lumbers across the battlefield.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2017, 12:04:53 PM by dog_of_war »

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Once held an Utter Fear of Tiny Diamonds
  • Armies: I 'play' Eldar. Or at least horde unpainted models
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2017, 02:38:56 AM »
Sweet work AP! Somehow I totally missed this thread, but I'm glad I've found it now! The greenstuff work is really good and I think that you're achieving a really fantastic finish.

I would echo what DoW suggests though, don't go too tentacle heavy. I think the balance on the top half is brilliant...the concept of a weird, fleshy, tentacled daemon caressing the Knight into action is just superb. If you add too much to the bottom though, it may end up looking more Cthulu than Slaanesh...I tremendous, armoured Squid Beast...and I don't think that will work quite as well.

Fantastic stuff though, I look forward to seeing this guy finished!!
WD127 - Started a Love Affair my Wallet Just Can't Cope With...

Offline Aurics Pride

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2017, 09:29:47 AM »
Thanks for the feedback guys!
I've been hard at work again today and am now at a point where I am very happy with the model so decided to do a dry-fit put together and here it is!

And I went with some chains and a few little "Growths" for the legs:

I am undercoating now and should hopefully start painting soon!

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2017, 10:11:38 AM »
That looks incredible.  I'm especially impressed by that sword arm with the tentacles and all the work you've put into the carapace section.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2017, 06:55:31 AM »
This thing is absolutely bestial! Love the dirge casters on the top half of the carapace... combined with the organs this thing is Slaanesh to the max. I love how the daemonic corruption is really well blended into the model. It looks like a natural kit... not a knight with bits and bobs glued on. Fantastic work... I cannot wait to see what this thing looks like paint on it.

Seriously Auric, this thing is FAR superior to the FW upgrade kit. Fantastic work my friend. Keep it up!

Offline Aurics Pride

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2017, 09:28:00 AM »
@Irisado- Thankyou! The sword arm I am actually really happy with, I have no idea what gave me the inspiration to do that but it seems to have worked really well :)

@Cav- Thanks bud, I do think Forgeworld probably know what they are doing more than me though! haha
It definitely has the feel that I was looking for, just got to make sure I paint it accordingly.

And on the subject of paint......... I've been kinda busy.

Obviously there is a lot more that I need to do on this guy but thought I'd give a little update!
« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 09:54:02 AM by Aurics Pride »

Offline Irisado

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2017, 11:25:51 AM »
Incredible work.  That sword is fantastic and the combined pink/purple metallic effect is excellent.  It looks great emerging from the darkness as well, as though it has just been released from somewhere in the Warp.

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2017, 02:06:12 PM »
Absolutely sick! Auric you are a true pro my friend. Just killing it with the airbrush, brush and green stuff my friend. Wow! So nice! The purple is simply stupendous. Keep up the great work I'm really blown away! What a centerpiece for the new Slaanesh army. Damn did this new army come together fast. I cant believe it!

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Once held an Utter Fear of Tiny Diamonds
  • Armies: I 'play' Eldar. Or at least horde unpainted models
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2017, 04:47:53 AM »
That is looking tremendous AP! I don't know, forget to check a topic for a couple of weeks and miss the all kinds of awesome that you've been producing!

The mini is just fantastic, with what I believe is just the right amount of conversion work done to it, whilst the paint job looks as though it'll match the quality of the mini perfectly. Really stunning so far AP, I look forward to your next update!
WD127 - Started a Love Affair my Wallet Just Can't Cope With...