News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: How do you use your Skyweavers?  (Read 4122 times)

Offline Aurics Pride

• Aspect Warrior
  • I tread the hidden path.....
  • Armies: Eldar, Raven Guard, Slaanesh
How do you use your Skyweavers?
« on: November 11, 2016, 04:50:24 AM »
Morning all,
I know there aren't many Harlequin players on here but have any of you got much experience with Skyweavers?
I had a play around with them in a game last night and they really did absolutely superb for me, unfortunately like anything in the Harlequin list they were a bit of a points sink but I actually found them to be really effective.
I ran the Faolchu's blade formation which consists of two units of Skyweavers and a Voidweaver. This formation then allows the models within to re-roll their jink saves.
I fielded:
4x Skyweavers- Zephyrglaives
4x Skyweavers- Haywire Cannons
Voidweaver

The Zephyrglaive unit had psychic support from a Farseer and a nearby Shadowseer who gave them Shrouded (and invisibility at one point) giving them a nice 2+ Re-rollable jink save, even against a Guard army that can put out a fair amount of Ignores cover shots they really took a lot of punishment and then when they made it into combat they really hit hard, I'll be curious to try them against some tougher opponents (MCs, Terminators etc) at the moment they seem like a better (But more fragile) Shining Spears.

The Haywire Cannon unit did even better for me, even though they didn't have the protection of the Zephyrglaive unit I did manage to avoid losing any throughout the whole game (Did Jink once and used Mirage Launchers first turn) but when they were shooting they were glancing a tank to death every turn.

When I first looked at the Codex the Skyweavers didn't strike me as a particularly good unit but now it's really seeming like they are the hidden gem of the codex.
Part of me is tempted to try and build up a bit of a Deathstar with some Zephyrglaive bikes and a couple of Farseers.......
+++ VICTORUS AUT MORTIS +++

My Army Blog (Corsair & Raven Guard: Here

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
Re: How do you use your Skyweavers?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2016, 06:19:13 AM »
I've played Harlequins since their release a couple of years ago.

I've always been running the Cegorach's Revenge formation, so I need two units of bikes. I always give them haywire blasters (to help with anti-tank). In games under 1500pts, I take two units of 2. One in Each squad has a zeyperblade. In games of 1500pts -1850, I take three in each squad, and one in each squad keeps the starbolas.

I use them more as a support unit. The star bolas is a great weapon.

I don't expect them to do anything crazy in combat on their own, but they are a good punch for when a troupe charges in.

I've not used allies in my Harlequin army yet, so I cannot speak on that part.

Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Aurics Pride

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2016, 09:49:50 AM »
Very interesting!
Do you find they work better when kept to a bit more of a "all comers" setup? When reading through I thought that the unit would serve you better in a dedicated role.
I've not had much luck with the Star-Bolas to be honest, their relatively low strength always seems to let them down for me. Plus most of the time I'd much rather they be shooting at tanks with the Haywire.

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2016, 10:27:05 AM »
Star bolas has a low strength? It's s6! I find it makes short work of infantry. It's great before charging. I'd never use it to shoot a vehicle, unless I have nothing better to do. Sky weavers are lousy in combat against vehicles, so I tend to keep away from them.

I find that how I use sky weavers depends what I'm up against. Against shooting armies, I turbo boost them all forwards with the troupes in starweavers, for a turn 2 charge.

Otherwise, they wait a bit to charge with another unit and take pot shots with haywire into troublesome vehicles.

Honestly, if I could I wouldn't take sky weavers at all. If I was running a Masque detachment, I'd just take fast attack starweavers. Sky weavers I've never counted on, except to be a nice distraction, or to support another unit. They are just so expensive, and still so fragile.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Grand Master Lomandalis

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
  • We were murderers first, last, and always!
  • Armies: Dark Angels, Custodes, Knights, Night Lords
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2016, 11:45:04 PM »
Honestly, if I could I wouldn't take sky weavers at all. If I was running a Masque detachment, I'd just take fast attack starweavers. Sky weavers I've never counted on, except to be a nice distraction, or to support another unit. They are just so expensive, and still so fragile.
I agree with this statement 100%.  The only reason I have Sky Weavers in my list is because Cegorach's Revenge requires them.

I run 2 units of 2 Sky Weavers equipped with both Haywire Cannons and Zephyrglaives.  In theory, the Haywire Cannons help with the anti-tank, but in my experience (due to my bad rolling) they rarely perform in that capacity.  Either they miss or chip off a hull point here and there.  My primary use for the Star Weavers is to have them as objective grabbers and a rapid assault unit.  Sometimes, getting those Zephyrglaives in on a charge can make or break a combat.
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
Well I always liked the globals...
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...

Offline Aoitora

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2016, 12:01:31 AM »
I've always run Cegorach's Revenge as well. First of all I sort of viewed the skyweavers as a tax when I was first learning the army and was disappointed by them. However then I tried investing more points in to them and have settled on 3 bikes, 3 haywire cannons and 2 zephyr glaives.

They're probably the best ranged anti-tank in the codex (I don't use allies) I like 3 haywire cannons as provided I dont get a bad scatter I should be able to drop transports such as rhinos without requiring additional fire from a second unit.

I only run with 2 zephyr glaives just to save points really. Obviously I position the bikes to juggle wounds around as best as possible with the intent that the bolas biker is the first to die to protect the zephyrs.

I use my bikes as harassment units.
Early game: Move around the flanks trying to open transports and work their way forewards
Mid game: Go after the hard to reach targets in the backfield like thunderfire cannons etc. As most of these backfield units aren't really high model counts or particularly good in CC only having 2 glaives is quite sufficient.
Late game: As my squads are usually below half strength by now my bikes start to team up with the troupes often eating overwatch and providing hitting power that the troupes have lost through the battle.

Drawbacks to this build:
Cannot overwatch
Jinking makes them useless for shooting (mirage launchers are fantastic!)

Remember you can throw the bolas in addition to firing the bikes weapon. 4 small blasts before charging can put the hurt on infantry. Even if I usually get at least one scatter on to myself  ::)

Offline Lorizael

• GW Shill: Infinity Circuit: Synergistic Spotter of Numpties
  • Ancient
« Reply #6 on: December 1, 2016, 03:45:55 PM »
I love Skyweavers. I run 1500 points with Masque, Hero's Path and Foalcho's Wing Formations.
2 unts of 3 'weavers; one with glaives, one with bolas & haywire.
They've always performed well, whether that's taking out heavy infantry, vehicles or MCs in combat. And they do a good job of absorbing overwatch so my Troupes can get into combat safely.

To be honest, I prefer them to Troupes and would rather take an army purely of Skyweavers and leave the fairly poor Troupes at home...

Offline Aurics Pride

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #7 on: December 2, 2016, 12:55:28 PM »
I love Skyweavers. I run 1500 points with Masque, Hero's Path and Foalcho's Wing Formations.
2 unts of 3 'weavers; one with glaives, one with bolas & haywire.
They've always performed well, whether that's taking out heavy infantry, vehicles or MCs in combat. And they do a good job of absorbing overwatch so my Troupes can get into combat safely.

To be honest, I prefer them to Troupes and would rather take an army purely of Skyweavers and leave the fairly poor Troupes at home...

Very interesting, to be honest I am really starting to agree with you here.
It does seem to be such a divisive unit though. People love them or hate them!

Offline haunt

• Aspect Warrior | I Won the Eldar Army List Competition, and All I Got Was This Title!
  • Play and have fun.
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angel, Tyranids, Necrons and Tau
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2016, 12:17:55 AM »
I guess in the end, most of us ONLY take them as a requirement and minimum at best. I do agree with GML and Squid on their usage, due to cost constriction.
This is where Death rejoices, as he teaches the living.

Hoc est ubi mors gaudet, quod ipse docet vivis.

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat