News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Need help with a tournament list  (Read 4370 times)

Offline gollee

• Armies: necrons, CSM
Need help with a tournament list
« on: November 2, 2016, 05:36:14 AM »
Hey guys, it's been ages since I've posted, not that I'd really posted that much even way back when.

I'm headed to a tournament in a month or so, and it was some very unusual rules.

1500 points.
NO formations (So I have to use the CAD)
Limit of 1 Super-heavy/ Gargantuan Creature
I can only take a 2nd fast attack, elite, or heavy support if I already have one each of the three; and a 3rd if I already have a two each of the three.
The army must only contain ONE detachment, and must be drawn from one codex. (still waiting on the clarification on whether that restricts the use of things like Warzone Damnos, or Fall of Orpheus)

I have a large necron army, and can put together pretty much any single 1500 army that gets suggested. (Though I only have 1 Super-heavy, the Pylon). Can any of you guys give some suggestion to the army I should take? I can't use the Decurion, so I'm a bit lost at the moment.

If I need to buy another Super-Heavy, I might consider it, I've got a month to build and paint it if I do.

I will be going up against:
-Dark Angels (With one Imperial Knight)
-Eldar (Probably with a Wraith Knight)
-Space Marines (I've seen him use Imperial Fists and Ravenguard chapter tactics)
-A number of unknown armies, but those three are the strongest players.
While the Nekthyst Dynasty stands, order shall not fall.

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
Re: Need help with a tournament list
« Reply #1 on: November 2, 2016, 10:32:19 AM »
Not a Necron player, but I know the basics.

Granted the loss of Decurion kinda sucks, but it doesn't seem like those restrictions will sink you, per se. The 'Crons have good stuff in all the slots, as I recall. Take Lychguard, Wraiths, and a Tomb Spider earns you another unit of Wraiths and bam--that's not half bad.

Why don't you post a prospective list? Might be easier for most of us if you gave us something to work with as a start.

Offline gollee

« Reply #2 on: November 2, 2016, 11:01:35 AM »
Good point, I've considered two lists so far.

A cronair wing

HQ:
Orikan the Diviner with the Lychguard
Lord with a Warscythe with the Lychguard

Troops:
10 Immortals
10 Immortals

Elites:
10 Sword'n'Board Lychguard
-Nightscythe

Fast Attack:
10 Tombblades with Shieldvanes and Nebuloscopes

Heavy Support:
Doom Scythe
Doom Scythe

And a fast-burn list with heavy firepower:

HQ:
Catacomb Command Barge with Gauntlet of Fire, Warscythe, Nightmare Shroud, Phylactery, and Phase Shifter

Troops:
10 Immortals
10 Immortals

Elites:
10 Praetorians with Rods

Fast Attack:

Heavy Support:
Guass Pylon (Fall of Orpheus variant)

Post Merge: November  2, 2016, 04:10:43 PM
In the future, please use the modify button. Double posting is against the forum rules, and for that reason, the system merged your posts.

Okay, I got clarification, one book maximum is allowed. So the Guass Pylon is out; as is the Sentry, any Tomb Stalkers...
« Last Edit: November 2, 2016, 04:10:43 PM by gollee »

Offline Wyddr

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #3 on: November 2, 2016, 07:55:10 PM »
Not a Necron player, but my initial reaction is that the second list is better (no Pylon? What about one of the other superheavies?).

Unless Orikan has some kind of reserve manipulation ability (I don't recall), you're putting a significant amount of your firepower at the mercy of the reserves roll, which I dislike. You'll have to take one or two turns on the chin without much fire support and then the unit you want might not even show up when you want it to.

Guns on the board, I say.

Offline gollee

« Reply #4 on: November 3, 2016, 10:57:54 AM »
Yeah... I hadn't considered the fickleness of the reserve rolls. As for the other super-heavies, the Obelisk is pretty useful against flyers/skimmers/jetbikes, and carries some big guns, but like the monolith, they sit at the four corners and it can only fire one at a single target because of that. The Tesseract Vault is a beefed up C'tan with a high points cost that has very powerful abilities, but goes bang very enthusiastically.

Here's an altered second list without the Pylon.

HQ:
Catacomb Command Barge with Gauntlet of Fire, Warscythe, Nightmare Shroud, Phylactery, and Phase Shifter

Troops:
10 Immortals
10 Immortals

Elites:
10 Praetorians with Rods

Fast Attack:
3 Destroyers

Heavy Support:
3 Heavy Destroyers
3 Heavy Destroyers

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
« Reply #5 on: November 3, 2016, 02:47:19 PM »
The obelisk is really good, as you can just go around thunderblitzing everything off the table! It's also really hard to deal with. If you have one, I recommend using it!
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline gollee

« Reply #6 on: November 4, 2016, 05:53:08 AM »
If the Pylon is off the cards, I may well have to get one.

Offline Wyddr

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #7 on: November 4, 2016, 09:35:55 AM »
All that said, that final list looks fairly solid. Not a vast array of ways to deal with superheavies, but at 1500 and with the tourney limitations, I kinda doubt you'll see more than the occasional Knight.

I would worry a little about putting only one vehicle on the board--all those AT guns your opponents will take really have only one juicy target--but otherwise I like it.

Offline gollee

« Reply #8 on: November 4, 2016, 11:07:45 AM »
Thankfully, after checking with the Organiser, I don't think it's possible for an Imperial Knight to show up at all. The guy who always takes them can only take a maximum of one, and only if he only uses their codex, which only contains them, so he can't make the points limit from it alone.

Now my concern has turned to the possible Wraithknight that I might face, though I think the guy who last used one on me may have been borrowing it.

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
« Reply #9 on: November 4, 2016, 03:32:17 PM »
It's true. You cannot thunderblitz a wraithknight. However, Necrons are one of the only armies in which pretty much everything is able to hurt a wraithknight. The best thing to kill one of those suckers is to force it to take a bunch of saves. However, if it's only armed with the D-Cannons, instead of the sword, it's not going to pose too much of a threat unless you have big juicy targets for it.

Knights are not too crazy either. Just hit it from different angels and gauss it to death.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria