News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Looshkin's Everything Thread - Shroud Runners and Autarch  (Read 70129 times)

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
Re: Looshkin's Everything Thread - New Orc Giants Bloodbowl.
« Reply #60 on: January 2, 2017, 12:51:51 PM »
Hahahah. Yep I'm a Patriots fan... but only in the loosest sense. I'm not a football guy and only watch like 2-3 games a year max. I'm an enormous Red Sox fan though and I watch a 100 plus games a year. But when the season is over I stop watching TV for the rest of the year lol  ;D ;D ;D

Sick basing instruction though bud. Really love the variety of grasses you use. Gotta get some myself! I think it'd look really nice on my Scorpions. Keep rolling buddy love all the stuff you've been sharing. Thanks! :)
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #61 on: January 2, 2017, 12:58:03 PM »
Thanks for the step by step Looshkin for hobby duffers like myself I find this sort of information really helpful.
Quote from: Starrakatt
"Russ, get your work done or you won't see your damn console for the next month!"
Quote from: Cavalier
Honestly Alienscar, we get it... you dont like painting!

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Once held an Utter Fear of Tiny Diamonds
  • Armies: I 'play' Eldar. Or at least horde unpainted models
« Reply #62 on: January 5, 2017, 02:55:08 PM »
Hahahah. Yep I'm a Patriots fan... but only in the loosest sense. I'm not a football guy and only watch like 2-3 games a year max. I'm an enormous Red Sox fan though and I watch a 100 plus games a year. But when the season is over I stop watching TV for the rest of the year lol  ;D ;D ;D

Well, for my sins, I'm an everything Miami fan (it keeps holidays easy!), so I have to endure the pain of following the Marlins (Although I started following them in the 2003? season when we won the World Series), Panthers and Heat (Although we have seen a lot of Heat success over the last few years...this year, not so much!) and of course, the Miami Dolphins, which is what got my obsession with American sports fired up!

Sick basing instruction though bud. Really love the variety of grasses you use. Gotta get some myself! I think it'd look really nice on my Scorpions. Keep rolling buddy love all the stuff you've been sharing. Thanks! :)

Glad you liked it bud! Your bases look really cool, but if you try it and it propels you to Golden Daemon performances, I want some credit in the acceptance speech  ;D

Thanks for the step by step Looshkin for hobby duffers like myself I find this sort of information really helpful.

I think you're doing yourself a big disservice, but I'm glad you approve!

Anyhow. Mini update time. I've put the Orcs on hold this week (I got a few hours in with them on Monday, but that is all, so no updates there), as I've been working on a couple of other little projects. The first of these is the Skaven paraphernalia that comes in the box; that is, the balls and counters. I have a little Blood Bowl tournament coming up on Friday - which is exciting because I've not played a physical game of BB since I was about 13 - 24 years ago! I have played a lot of the PS4 version of the game though, so I hope to at least be competitive, if not good. They have votes and things for the best team though, so I thought I would put in as much effort as I could to pull down a few votes against what may well be stiff competition.

I wanted everything to match the team, so same colours, same techniques etc - no corners cut!

Please excuse my thumb, it's covered in Mourning Brown. Not Nicotine...

I also found out on Monday that you aren't just limited to the box contents when putting together a team, so I figured I needed to include a Big Guy, as I don't think a lot of others will and, as such, it may give me a little edge. Or at least result in my failing Wild Animal tests over and over and over again...

Trouble is, I didn't know where the Rat Ogre I wanted was, and only managed to find him by luck today. I'm not a quick painter. So I'm going to have to go against type and rattle off this mini in record time tonight and in a couple of hours tomorrow afternoon.

1955 GMT:

2215 GMT:
I had a set back. I had to put my son to sleep and then Mrs Loosh decided she wanted to watch TV with me. So I'm probably about an hour behind. Gah!!
Base Colours:

It's not going to be easy, but I'll probably try to keep you guys updated!
« Last Edit: January 5, 2017, 05:53:33 PM by Looshkin »
WD127 - Started a Love Affair my Wallet Just Can't Cope With...

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #63 on: January 5, 2017, 08:39:52 PM »
I did wonder if you'd been practicing your technique on your nails!

Love the lightning effects on the balls. Very Skaven warpstone-like :) Big chappy's coming along nicely too! Do you think you'll be able to get him finished in time?
Check out my Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders :)

Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders!

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #64 on: January 6, 2017, 07:19:31 AM »
MIAMI HEAT FAN!? Now you are in thin ice with me. The Dolphins, the Marlins (I loved Josh Beckett till he wore out his welcome) I can abide... but Lebron!? Never! (even though he's back in Cleveland) lol Thats cool that you are a Marlins fan. Man they really cut the fans down a raw deal down there. Blowing up the team, constantly trading all their good players. Really soured the fanbase. Oh well we aren't here to talk sports!

Love the football and that cool little token. The purple and bronze/copper look really cool. But dear lord that Rat Ogre is sick! I absolutely love it.

I'm not a fast painter either so I feel your pain! Do keep us posted though. I really want to see that Rat Ogre when he's done :)

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #65 on: January 6, 2017, 07:36:32 AM »
I did wonder if you'd been practicing your technique on your nails!

Love the lightning effects on the balls. Very Skaven warpstone-like :) Big chappy's coming along nicely too! Do you think you'll be able to get him finished in time?

Thanks Ynnead! The Warpstone was all done using Caliban Green as a base, followed by a Nuln Oil wash. After that, highlights on the raised edges using Warpstone Glow and then Moot Green, finished with a spot of White Scar where the ridges meet. The secret is the Ardcoat layer though, it makes it shine and reflect like glass, which really sells the Warpstone look IMHO.

MIAMI HEAT FAN!? Now you are in thin ice with me. The Dolphins, the Marlins (I loved Josh Beckett till he wore out his welcome) I can abide... but Lebron!? Never! (even though he's back in Cleveland) lol Thats cool that you are a Marlins fan. Man they really cut the fans down a raw deal down there. Blowing up the team, constantly trading all their good players. Really soured the fanbase. Oh well we aren't here to talk sports!

Mrs Loosh and I have watched the Heat twice, during the Big 3 era. She has a Chris Bosh T Shirt, while my favourite player has always been D Wade. Whilst I appreciate the skill of LBJ, I think that The Decision was probably about the most Douchy thing that anyone has ever done in sports...and as such, I can't really get past him being a bit of a conceited prick to the people of Cleveland at the time. And yeah, Loria sucks the fat one.

Love the football and that cool little token. The purple and bronze/copper look really cool. But dear lord that Rat Ogre is sick! I absolutely love it.

I'm not a fast painter either so I feel your pain! Do keep us posted though. I really want to see that Rat Ogre when he's done :)

The Rat Ogre is a cool mini for sure, but he's a long way from complete; stupid family time and double stupid work!!

1230 GMT:
I did, however, have time to wash him last night, using Agrax Earthshade. So very messy at the moment, but the next hour should sort that out as I'll be concentrating on tidying up his skin in a major way.

Hopefully if I get some peace and quiet, I'll be able to crank this guy out. Fingers crossed!!

So, I rattled on with this guy, took some WiP photos, but ran out of time to post them on here, so I'll catch you up now.

So, having to put my son down for a nap and look after him when he woke and Mrs Loosh rested, it put a certain crimp on my painting time, but by 1515 GMT, I had got the Rat Ogre to this stage:

Essentially, I had done 2 layers on the skin. The first was a straight Cadian FLeshtone layer, followed by a Kislev/Cadian mix. I had touched up a few of the details in rudimentary fashion too, but time was really against me as I had to finish him by 1700 in order to be able to get ready and get to the Blood Bowl games night at my local GW.

He isn't the best Blood Bowl mini I have done, but for effectively half a day's work (About 6 hours total), I'm fairly happy with him:

I need to go back and retouch a couple of the highlights and pick out one or two other details, but he fit in and looked the part.

So I'm back now and the night was tremendous fun with a great group of guys.

I got paired against a hyper experienced player, called Mike, that has played numerous tournaments in the UK and overseas. He was using Skaven, which scared the Dickens out of me, as I know just how rapid they are. It was incredibly close, but he was a great guy that pointed out little mistakes before I made them and really tried to bring me along well.

Big mistake though, as my dice were absolutely on fire and I only had to burn 1 re-roll through the entire game. Mike, on the other hand, couldn't help but roll about a billion 1s. The Rat Ogre adamantly refused to suffer from New Model Syndrome as he clubbed half the opposing team into submission. I scored quickly to start the game and ground out the half to go into halftime 1-0 up. Mike got a little bit ruthless in the 2nd half and scored quickly to level up, 1-1. I then ground things out to score in my last turn of the game, just squeaking a 2-1 win. Huzzah!

The second game was against Tom and his beautiful Skaven team in which every player was named after a type of cheese. They were also painted to look a little like Swiss Cheese, or something similar. Great guy, but he was up against it after the first 4 turns resulted in 4 casualties for his team. Outnumbered and outgunned, I beat him 2-0. Tom took it all in good spirits and I had my first real Cavalier moment as I looked down on a board covered with stunning miniatures:

Afterwards, we voted for the Most Sporting player and Best Painted. There were also prizes for the most touchdowns scored over the 2 games (1 guy managed two 5-0 wins, so was the runaway winner) and also the Most Deaths suffered.

A guy who I didn't know won the Most Sporting, while the winner of the Best Painted Team went to.........

.......the other Skaven player. And damned rightfully so. His minis were lovely and a deserved winner. I got some voted and placed in the Top 3 (Don't know if I was 2nd or 3rd, but it doesn't really matter, as the other Top 3 guy had some lovely Orcs).

Here are a few pictures of the other 2 Top 3 teams:

And my guys on the field (Unfortunately, in the darkest corner of the store):

So that was my little Blood Bowl adventure. I got on well with the other guys, none of whom I had met before tonight, and hopefully can get some games in with them in the future. Sorry for the obnoxiously long post, but I hope you enjoyed it!
« Last Edit: January 6, 2017, 07:22:59 PM by Looshkin »

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #66 on: January 6, 2017, 08:05:25 PM »
Stunning looking Rat Ogre :) don't know what you're talking about 'not your best Blood Bowl mini'. At least twice as good as anything I could cook up! ;)

Congrats on the performance in the games too :) well done squeaking (puns!) out the win against the veteran player ;) congrats as well for getting in the top 3 of best painted. Your team definitely deserves it!

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #67 on: January 7, 2017, 07:21:35 AM »
Wow... legendary collection of pics here man. Wow! I can't believe how awesome all the minis looked. Really blown away. Super jealous... while I've gotten play some nice looking armies... nothing that looks THIS nice. Damn!

So happy you got to win your games Loosh. Really well deserved... new mini-syndrome always works the opposite for me where all the love and excitement charges them to Super Saiyan status and they usually go berserk. So stoked your Rat Ogre went around crumping guys and taking names. Glorious!

Great, great post Loosh. Enjoyed it a ton. What a fantastic update. Thanks for sharing bud

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #68 on: January 7, 2017, 05:00:59 PM »
Stunning looking Rat Ogre :) don't know what you're talking about 'not your best Blood Bowl mini'. At least twice as good as anything I could cook up! ;)

Congrats on the performance in the games too :) well done squeaking (puns!) out the win against the veteran player ;) congrats as well for getting in the top 3 of best painted. Your team definitely deserves it!

Thanks man, I appreciate the kind words. I meant it about the Rat Ogre though, I need to go back to it at some stage and smooth out the transitions on the skin to make it more natural. I'm glad that you still think it's really good.

So, some of you may remember last year when my local GW did a secret santa. Whatever you got as your gift, you painted up for a competition at the end of January. Everyone bought something for £30ish and then it was packaged up and you drew out a gift at random. I drew my own gift, which was this guy:

After about a month of graft, I turned that into this guy:

Well, we did the same thing this year.

I drew my own gift again  ::)

I wouldn't mind if there were 5 of us participating, but last year there were 32, this year 20. That's a 1 in 640 chance of drawing your own gift both years!!

I don't mind though, as as with last year, I picked a gift that I thought would be great fun to paint.

Haven't done much to him, but I've made a start. I have 3 weeks.

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #69 on: January 7, 2017, 05:18:44 PM »
Quick! Now's the time to start a Chaos Cultist swarm and throw out challenges left-right-and-centre. You'll crush all beneath your boots as your pitiful Cultist Champions strip the final wounds from Chapter Masters and burst forth into Greater Daemons!

Or, more likely given your results in the draw, every unit of Horrors you summon will instantly be vapourised by Daemonic Instability.

Still, it's a very cool thing to do :) if this year's work is anything like the last I can't wait to see the result!

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
Re: Looshkin's Everything Thread - Secret Santa Treelord
« Reply #70 on: January 14, 2017, 02:31:56 AM »
Haha Ynnead, you're probably right. I think next year I might place a few bets before the Secret Santa, so at least I might make my money back on whatever mini I buy!!

So just a tiny, mini update. I got some base colours down on this guy and thought I'd share. I have been following the Warhammer TV guide by Duncan - although the guide is for Durthu. I'm beginning to suspect that I may have to alter the colour palette quite a bit in order to achieve the effect that I want.

I'm pretty happy with how the green runes are coming out, although I may add a further highlight to them, as I fear that they may end up getting lost in the background unless they pop a little more.

Progress continues at a steady rate. I should have a big update on this guy by the end of the weekend.

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #71 on: January 14, 2017, 08:00:06 AM »
Really sweet paintjob Loosh. Wow are these age of sigmar models gorgeous or what? I love the colors... the brown is sooooo nice. I like the blue too, its an unusual choice but I think it lends an air of high magic to the model. I do agree that the green runes need a little bump up in in color. Maybe its just the first photo but I didn't notice them till you mentioned it and I took a good look at the 2nd photo.

Fantastic wok as always Loosh. Excelellent paint job and great color choices. Can't wait to see him finished. He looks fantastic as is!

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #72 on: January 15, 2017, 04:21:27 PM »
Lovely work Loosh! One thing I've found about the latest Sylvaneth models is that they're an absolute joy to paint :) love the green glow of the runes. Subtle, but a nice touch :)

Offline Dread

• Warlock
  • Voidraven, the stone skipping across the universe.
  • Armies: Eldar, DE, Harlis, Necrons,  sisters, Death guard
« Reply #73 on: January 16, 2017, 07:17:48 PM »
I like it. Looks kinda KNOTTY and WOOD make lotsa people jealous. Now I LEAVE you with a BARKY farwell and shall STICK to my opinion for it is ROOTED in truth. Don't want to LOG down the post, just keep it growing.
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Farseer Gol'Istria of    the Morea Nebula craftword

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #74 on: January 21, 2017, 10:13:32 AM »
So, when I popped into my local GW last week, they had some nice news for me - nothing ground breaking, but nice nevertheless. The Blood Bowl tournament that I took part in and didn't win any prizes - well, I came closer than I thought. I had expected the cheese yellow Skaven guy to win the painting comp hands down. Turns out, he pipped me by 1 vote! Also, I came 2nd in the Most Sporting category too, also by 1 vote! So I didn't win anything, but I got some nice recognition, which is cool!

Lovely work Loosh! One thing I've found about the latest Sylvaneth models is that they're an absolute joy to paint :) love the green glow of the runes. Subtle, but a nice touch :)

Thanks Ynnead. I'm in full agreement over the Sylvaneth range. They have some beautiful minis that are a joy to paint, but also very easy for relative novices to get a great outcome on. I think that makes a pretty perfect mini, because it encourages everyone to give it a go. Even if you just do a bash, wash and dry brush, it'll still look striking.

I might take the runes up a notch. I haven't made up my mind yet, but I've made a change to the model and think that they stand out fairly well now. I'll reassess once I've done the final parts of the mini.

I like it. Looks kinda KNOTTY and WOOD make lotsa people jealous. Now I LEAVE you with a BARKY farwell and shall STICK to my opinion for it is ROOTED in truth. Don't want to LOG down the post, just keep it growing.

And that's why we don't do drugs kids!

Only kidding! Thanks man, I'm glad you like the work. Hopefully the update will bring out some more puns!

Really sweet paintjob Loosh. Wow are these age of sigmar models gorgeous or what? I love the colors... the brown is sooooo nice. I like the blue too, its an unusual choice but I think it lends an air of high magic to the model. I do agree that the green runes need a little bump up in in color. Maybe its just the first photo but I didn't notice them till you mentioned it and I took a good look at the 2nd photo.

Fantastic wok as always Loosh. Excelellent paint job and great color choices. Can't wait to see him finished. He looks fantastic as is!

Well, I hope you like the update...the blue is gone though. I decided it unbalanced the mini too much. Especially when I found a load more soft wood that I would have to paint blue.

The AoS range is tremendous. So many good models filled with character. I think the Death and Skaven ranges are probably my favourites, but the Ork, Ogre and Wood Elf range are fantastic too. The others have good minis, but none that hit the high notes of the armies I mentioned.

Onto this update:

As stated, the blue unbalanced the mini, so I went for a more neutral palette.

I wanted to give the impression of a young Treelord. One that is only entering the Spring of his life, so verdant green and yellow leaves are the order of the day.

Those photos were from the start of the week and I've made a bit of progress as the week has worn on. Just tidying up a couple of bits and getting the mini ready for the next, big step.

Hopefully I'll get some time over the next couple of days for some more, but I need to wait for the post to get some bits for the next stage.

Thanks for reading!

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #75 on: January 21, 2017, 11:40:42 AM »
Now that i really really like :) definitely prefer the more neutral palette over the blue. What a stunning looking dude :)

You've also done well at capturing youthfulness, both with the pose and the paint. He looks positively SPRITE-ly ;)

Offline Dread

• Warlock
  • Voidraven, the stone skipping across the universe.
  • Armies: Eldar, DE, Harlis, Necrons,  sisters, Death guard
« Reply #76 on: January 21, 2017, 05:43:02 PM »
Wow now that just blossoms lots of Good feelings. Lovely color palette.
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Farseer Gol'Istria of    the Morea Nebula craftword

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #77 on: January 22, 2017, 07:38:14 AM »
Wow... fantastic work. I love all the changes you've made... I think the lighter wood looks incredible, the brighter green on the runes and the yellow leaves are all incredible. Jeez, Loosh the tale of your painting greatness only grows. Seriously amazing stuff man. I love it

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #78 on: January 22, 2017, 10:48:38 AM »
Now that i really really like :) definitely prefer the more neutral palette over the blue. What a stunning looking dude :)

You've also done well at capturing youthfulness, both with the pose and the paint. He looks positively SPRITE-ly ;)

Thanks Ynnead. I had been following Duncan Rhodes guide for painting Durthu, but that only worked up to a point. I knew that I wanted Spring type colours on this guy whereas Durthu is a lot of dark with the counterpoint of striking soft wood and glowing, fiery runes. Trying to make green/yellow work with that was a nightmare, so I copied the box  ::) I'm not too proud to admit that the Eavy Metal team very rarely get their colour balance wrong, so I may as well steal any and all ideas they have.

The pose was difficult. Because I followed precisely the standard Treelord build guid, but used Durthu's sword hand...well, it looked like he was firing a giant invisible gun. I had also failed to do a dry fit, so I'm an idiot! It took a fair bit of swearing and sawing to undo the wrongs that I had done to this mini!

Anyway, thanks dude!
Wow now that just blossoms lots of Good feelings. Lovely color palette.

Puntastic! Thanks man, means a lot!
Wow... fantastic work. I love all the changes you've made... I think the lighter wood looks incredible, the brighter green on the runes and the yellow leaves are all incredible. Jeez, Loosh the tale of your painting greatness only grows. Seriously amazing stuff man. I love it

I think you might be going somewhat overboard with the praise, but I'll take it anyway!  ;D  I just hope it all fits with the next stage of work that I'm prepping. Unfortunately I definitely won't finish him this week. We'll see what next weekend holds though!

Thanks everyone for the support!

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #79 on: January 23, 2017, 10:35:33 AM »

As stated, the blue unbalanced the mini, so I went for a more neutral palette.

You are a much better painter than I will ever be but I really preferred the blue soft wood. I really liked how it gave the model an eerie other-worldly aspect.

Other than that I have to agree with Ynneadwraith and the way you have painted the buds/leaves totally captures a feeling of Spring time.
Quote from: Starrakatt
"Russ, get your work done or you won't see your damn console for the next month!"
Quote from: Cavalier
Honestly Alienscar, we get it... you dont like painting!